Conch salad is one of the most delicious signature dishes of the Bahamas. Freshly diced conch meat, vegetables, citrus juices, spices & hot pepper produces an explosion of flavours that is delightful to the palate and eyes. The conch is a large-sized sea snail that lives in a spiral pink-white shell. You will find different variations of this salad throughout the Caribbean islands. Learn how to make your own, try my Conch Salad Recipe.
- 1 pound fresh conch diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped tomato
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced Scotch bonnet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash the conch with either lemon juice or salt & water. You may also use vinegar.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir and refrigerate for at least 15 to allow it to marinate.
- Mix and serve in bowls or cut out pineapples (In the photo above I decorated our salad with conch fritters on a Wooden Skewers