The Jamaican Cow Soup is a favorite in Jamaica for Saturday soup. It is a hearty soup dish that features cow foot, carrots, pumpkin, cho cho (chayote squash), and yellow yam. Flour dumpling spinners are often added.
- 3 qt. water
- 2 lb. cow foot
- ½ lb. carrots, cubed
- 1 lb. pumpkin, cut up
- ½ lb. cho cho, cut up
- 1 lb. yellow yam, cut up
- 2 sprig thyme
- 2 stalks escallion
- 3 Garlic pegs crushed
- 6 Pimento Seeds/Berries (Allspice)
- 2 teaspoons salt
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Boil cow foot with garlic, pimento, salt in 1 qts. water until the meat is tender. We recommend using a pressure cooked versus boiling. It take about 30 minutes in pressure cooker).
- Cut up vegetables, yam and cho cho and add with seasonings to soup with additional water.
- Dumplings may be added if desired.
- Once it starts to boil, simmer uncovered until yam is cooked and soup is of a medium consistency.
- Serves 6