This easy-to-follow Jamaican Chinese Steamed Turnip Dumpling Recipe yields 20 dumplings. Even though I am using turnip as filling, you can use any filling you desire with the dumpling wrapper recipe. What I love about making them is the memory of our family folding dumplings together.
Ingredients for filling
- 3 1/s lbs. turnips (Daikon)
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp
- Minced garlic
- Salt, MSG or sugar
- Black pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Peel and grate turnips.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and let stand 15 minutes, then drain.
- Soak dried shrimp, then drain.
- Shred bacon.
- Prepare minced garlic.
- Heat a wok or frying pan.
- Add 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Add bacon shreds, garlic, shrimp, turnips, MSG, and black papper.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pour into colander and set aside to cool.
- Divide into 20 portions.
Ingredients for wrappers
- 3 cups glutinous rice powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lard
- Sift together the rice powder and flour.
- Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: boiling water, cold water, and lard.
- Knead into a smooth dough and cut into 20 equal pieces.
- Flatten dough pieces into circles. Add a little oil if dough is sticky.
- Place filling in the middle of each circle, then fold in half and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Place on greased paper and put into a bamboo steamer.
- Steam 10 minutes over high heat.
- Serve. It is traditional to use black pepper liberally in this recipe.