Next to Roast Duck this is another signature Jamaican Hakka dish and one of my favorites. It is a must-have dish for any type of celebration dinner if you are from a Jamaican-Chinese household. Use to struggle to decide between which one to eat at these celebrations. So I have both. One on the first plate of food and another on my second plate of food..lol..Hope you enjoy this Jamaican Chinese Style Roast Chicken Recipe.
- 3 lb. whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce
- Trim excess fat and rub the outside of a chicken with salt, dark soy sauce, and honey.
- Pre-soak your choice of yung yee, pak juk, or lily shoot.
- Combine garlic, sugar, soy sauce, and brown bean sauce, and season the inside cavity only:
- Place chicken on rack and roast at 400ºF for 20 minutes, basting skin and adding a little water to the pan to preserve drippings.
- Reduce temperature to 350º and continue adding enough water to avoid burning the drippings/
- Total roasting time should be around 1½ hours.
- Pour drippings into a medium pot; skim off fat.
- Add seasonings from inside cavity and bring to a boil.
- Drain the yung yee (or lily shoot or pak juk) and add to pot.
- Add more water, extra brown bean sauce, soy sauce and other seasons to taste.
- Thicken sauce with cornstarch and serve over chicken.