Jamaicans love royal icing on their cakes. It is the preferred icing on Jamaican Christmas Rum cakes and Jamaican Wedding cakes. It is easy to make and tastes really great. Here is a simple Jamaican Royal Cake Icing Recipe.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp glycerine
- Use an electric mixer on medium speed to whip the egg whites with the icing. Add the lime juice and glycerine.
- Mix for about 5-10 minutes until opaque and shiny. The icing must have a smooth consistency to take hold on the cake.
- Food coloring can be added, if desired.
- For immediate use, place the icing in a pastry bag pipe on the cake as desired.
- The Royal Icing can be stored in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.