The meat from the large sea snail called conch is a favorite of many in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Pronounced “conk” it is considered an aphrodisiac and energy booster. In Caribbean conch is used to make soups, salads and fritters. The meat is tough and has to be finely chopped for use. Here is our tasty Jamaican style conch fritters.
- 2 Cups finely chopped conch meat
- 1 tablespoon of Jamaican Pickapeppa Sauce
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry jerk seasoning
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 2 Cups Milk
- Oil for deep frying
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Mix vigorously
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat skillet/frying pan and add oil to a depth of ½ inch.
- Dip a tablespoon spoon in oil (this will allow the batter to slide off easily).
- Use the spoon to scoop the batter into the hot oil and fry.
- Deep fry in the skillet/frying pan till brown and crisp on all sides.
- Drain on paper towel and serve.
- Best served with tarter sauce or a hot pepper sauce of your liking.