This is one of the classic Jamaican one-pot dishes that is very easy to make. Remove the meat from the ingredients and you have a great vegan recipe. Try my Jamaican Style Seasoned Rice Recipe.
- 1 pound rice
- 1 pound pumpkin, in ½-inch dice
- 1 pound of any meat, but into 1⁄4-inch strips 2 inches long (No meat if you are Vegan)
- ½ satchel of ‘Grace’ chicken noodle soup mix, without the noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter, margarine or coconut oil
- Scotch Bonnet pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup tomato, chopped
- Water or coconut milk to cover rice by 1-½ inch
- Combine ingredients and place in rice cooker or other suitable pot.
- If using a pot, cook over high heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until done, about 20 minutes.
- Stir well before serving to ensure ingredients are mixed through the rice.
- Serves 4.