This stew offers a true mix of Jamaica’s food traditions, using scotch bonnet peppers, pumpkin, red peas, coconut milk, thyme, scallions, and tomatoes. Vegetarians will love this stew. This meatless dish can be made as a main courses for vegetable-based meals.
- 1 cup kidney beans/red peas (precooked or soaked overnight)
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 2 lbs. cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed pumpkin
- 1 cubed medium carrot
- 1/4 lb string beans
- 1/2 lb flour
- 2 scallions
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 small tomatoes (cut into chunks)
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Cook the kidney beans/red peas in coconut milk.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, and string beans.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make small dumplings of the flour and add to the stew.
- Add salt, onion, scallions, tomatoes, thyme, garlic, pepper, and margarine.
- Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.