Jamaican Meat Loaf is described by some as the “little brother” to the Jamaican beef patty, even though it is bigger in size. Some say this because it’s simply a cocoa bread with the filling from a patty. If you love Jamaican beef patties you will love the Jamaican Meat Loaf. The recipe is broken town in to 3 parts: The filling, the dough, combining the dough & filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEEF FILLING:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- ½ teaspoon Accent
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 ozs escallion
- 2 small hot peppers
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- half a loaf french bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Grind escallion and hot peppers in a mincing mill.
- Add to ground beef with salt.
- Place meat in a saucepan making a well in the center into which place 4 sprigs of thyme.
- Cook without adding any water or fat until meat has lost its broth and only certain amount of oil remains.
- Pour off excess oil and add this to the paprika to be used later on, strained for coloring meat.
- While meat is being cooked, pour sufficient cold water over bread in a saucepan to cover and soak for a few minutes, then squeeze dry, saving water.
- Pass bread through mincing mill and return the ground bread water with 4 sprigs of thyme and cook until bread is dry.
- Combine meat and cooked bread.
- Add color, paprika in sufficient quantity to color the meat to taste.
- Cook together for a further 20 mins.
- Add Accent . Remove from fire. Cool for filling dough circles.
INGREDIENTS FOR LOAF/DOUGH:
- 2 ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 3 ½ cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Egg Beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix ingredients
- Combing the yeast and warm water.
- Add olive oil to yeast
- Pour the yeast into the container with the flour mixture.
- Mix well
- Put the dough on a flat surface and knead for 10 minutes. Add light flour to the surface if the dough gets too sticky.
- Roll the dough into a big ball and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Place the dough in a large container and cover it with plastic wrap (The container should be twice the size of the dough ball)
- Set the dough aside for an hour to allow it to rise (it will double in size).
METHOD FOR MAKING MEAT LOAF:
- Grease baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 450°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the dough and place on a flat surface (lightly flour the surface)
- Divide the dough into 6 to 8 parts.
- Roll out each part with a rolling pin. Each part should be a circle approximately ¼ inch thick
- Use a rolling pin to roll out each dough part into a circle at least 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a spoon to fill half the circle with the meat filling. Leave enough space along the edge for crimping.
- Brush the inside edge of each dough part with water
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and crimp edges using a fork and brush top with egg and water solution.
- Place on the baking sheet in the oven
- Bake for 18 minutes or until it is puffed up and golden brown
- Service hot