Announcements

Jamaica’s Consul General Franz Hall To Lead Team Dlimers At 20th Anniversary Of Komen Race For Cure In Downtown Miami

Dlimers
Written by Staff Writer

On Saturday, October 17, patrons will celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Komen Race for the Cure at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami. Jamaica’s Consul General, Franz Hall, will join team captains Hamilton, Miller & Birthisel, LLP and Bilmor Advertising with Specialties on Team DLIMERS to continue the support for breast cancer awareness and research at the annual event in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Twenty years ago, the Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure® started with a few hundred participants and a band of warriors who were determined to raise money to find a cure for breast cancer. Over 75% of net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure® will remain in Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties to support local breast cancer programs. The remaining 25% of the net funds will support the Susan G. Komen National Grants Program – one of the country’s most innovative and responsive breast cancer grant programs in existence today.

Over 75% of net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure® will remain in Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties to support local breast cancer programs. The remaining 25% of the net funds will support the Susan G. Komen National Grants Program – one of the country’s most innovative and responsive breast cancer grant programs in existence today.

“The annual Race for the Cure provides an extraordinary opportunity to make an impact on an issue that impacts so many women and men in our families and at our workplace. We celebrate life and raise awareness of the importance of self-screening for prevention,” stated Consul General Franz Hall.

“For over 12 years, our team has grown exponentially and so has our community impact. We look forward to this opportunity to bring our community together for the betterment of our health,” noted Marlon Hill, partner, Hamilton, Miller & Birthisel, LLP.

Team DLIMERS is composed of a number of local small businesses and community organization who are committed to greater awareness, especially women in minority populations. Last year, Team DLIMERS and its team of more than 300 participants raised over $10,000 for grants to local hospitals, clinics, community groups and non-profits, allowing us to provide the following life-saving services:

· Education about the warning signs of breast cancer, methods of early detection and the latest treatment options
· Low-cost/no-cost mammograms and diagnostic tests
· Medical treatment for patients who could not afford care, including surgery, chemotherapy and radiation
· Support services, including support groups, assistance with finding financial resources, prescription refills and transportation to medical appointments

To participate in the 20th Anniversary Race, participants are encouraged to:

· Pre-Register at http://www.tinyurl.com/hmbregister ($35) prior to the Race and $40 on Race Day
· Start your own fundraising page! After your register, you will have the opportunity to create your own fundraising page online. Develop your page, then e-mail it to your friends and family asking for their support.
· If you can’t register to participate, support your families and friends participating or who have been impacted by entering their name at http://tinyurl.com/hmbdonate

On Race Day, Team DLIMERS will gather at Tent D-34 at 6:30 a.m. A zumba pre-Race warm-up will be hosted at 8:00 a.m., followed by the Race/Walk promptly at 8:45 a.m. After the Race, Team DLIMERS will host a Caribbean Brunch with music courtesy of VP Records, special guest DJ Dorenzo, Giselle D’ Wassi One, and Barrie Hype. All persons must be registered to participate in the Race/Walk and post-race activities. All participating women are encouraged to bring their past Carnival headpieces to participate in the Race/Walk.

For more information, contact team captain Marlon Hill at 305-379-3686 or [email protected]. Follow #DLIMERS2015 #RacefortheCure on social media for all digital updates about the Race.

About the author

Staff Writer