Recipes for Jamaican brown stew fish are often handed down from generation to generation, illustrating how traditional cuisine keeps Jamaican culture alive. This dish is easy to prepare, yet so delicious. Fish flavors are enhanced through the addition of thyme and bell pepers, while garlic and fish-meat sauce bring the dining experience to perfection. A simple, mouth-watering dish like this is sure to be a staple in your recipe collection.
- 6 to 8 whole Snapper fish (1/2 pound each), scaled and gutted (Parrot Fish can also be used)
- 2 stalks Escallion, chopped
- 1 small Tomato, chopped
- 1 small Bell pepper, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Scotch bonnet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Fish and Meat Sauce (can be replaced by steak sauce)
- ¼ cup Water
- Salt and black pepper, as per taste
- Oil for cooking
- Take a mixing bowl and combine the Escallion along with some tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Sprinkle some salt, pepper and thyme in it and mix them well.
- Rinse the fish well and add it to the bowl containing the seasonings and place it in the refrigerator to marinate (preferably overnight, or minimum for an hour).
- Place a pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat and pour some oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add some garlic and bonnet peppers to it.
- Meanwhile, remove excess water from the fish along with the seasonings and once the garlic starts to turn brown, add the fish to the pan.
- Let it cook from both the sides till it gets a slight golden color.
- While the fish is cooking, place another pan over medium-high heat and melt some margarine in it.
- Add the seasonings (in which the fish was marinated) and sauté them for couple of minutes.
- Pour some water along with ketchup and the fish-and-meat sauce. Stir it gently.
- If the fish is cooked, add it to this pan and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Cook it over reduced heat for couple of minutes and then take it off the flame. Serve hot.
- Jamaican Brown Stew Fish goes well with boiled white rice, salad preparations and steaming hot vegetables.