Growing up as a child I loved pudding. Jamaican Hominy Corn Porridge, which uses condensed milk for sweetness and texture, can go a long way in satisfying a pudding urge! A perfect mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and coconut milk flavors, the resulting hominy porridge is sure to be a favorite of all family members, and be ready – they many not be able to stop with just one serving!
- 1 cup Hominy Corn (soaked overnight in 6-8 cups water)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- A pinch of Salt
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg, grated
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup Condensed Milk (Sweetened)
- Wash and rinse the hominy corn in running water. Fill a large bowl with 4-6 cups of water and soak the corn overnight in it.
- Once the corn is soaked sufficiently, add some cinnamon and sprinkle some salt in the same bowl and put it to boil over reduced heat.
- While the corn is boiling, take another mixing bowl and combine a small quantity of coconut milk with some corn starch. Once they form a smooth batter, with no lumps, add the remaining amount of coconut milk to it and stir.
- Immediately add this mixture to the pot containing the corn and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Keep stirring continuously as the mixture thickens.
- Grate the nutmeg and add it to this pot along with some evaporated milk and vanilla.
- After a couple of minutes, add the condensed milk (or a sweetener of your choice) to further sweeten the mixture. Keep stirring it constantly for few minutes. Serve hot.
- Coconut milk could be prepared at home by grating the coconut, mixing it with two cups of water and then squeezing it through a muslin cloth or a strainer.
- Corn can be used whole as well as cracked. However, cooking time gets reduced significantly while using cracked corn kernels.
- If canned coconut is being used, then lighten it by adding a cup of water and then using it.