Ital Stew Peas is sometimes called Veggie Stew Peas or Vegetarian Stew Peas
- 2 cups red peas (kidney beans)
- 2 whole scotch bonnet peppers (if you like it hot cut the pepper up)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- bay leaves
- 10 pimento grains (allspice)
- cloves garlic (1 crushed and 3 whole)
- 3 chopped scallions
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon natural sea salt (sold in stores)
- 2 potatoes (Irish), cubed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Veggie spinners/dumplings (See Recipe Below)
- Soak the peas in water for a least 10-12 hours in the pot
- Place coconut milk, bay leaves, scallion, pimento grain, whole garlic and whole pepper in the pot.
- Slowly boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the peas are tender.
- Season by adding the onions, crushed garlic and thyme.
- Add carrots, spinners and potatoes
- Let simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the scallions, bay leaves and hot pepper before serving.
- Serve hot with white rice.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Enough water to bind
- Place flour in a medium bowl.
- Work mixture with hands while adding enough water to bind, making a stiff dough.
- Roll into 1 inch long pieces, drop into boiling stew peas or soup.
- Boil until they float or add them during the last 20mins of the cooking process. Enjoy