Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

nervous as heck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nervous as heck

i\ve walked a half marathon. on sunday i will run, not walk, a 5k and i'm so nervous my colon is seizing up.

took the week off to "prepare" meaning i was going to do practice runs all week. but then my personal trainer said i'm not supposed to do that. wednesday should b the last day i do any kind of running - mi body need to rest before the race.

then mi bredda say me muss start eat rice every day, for carb loading. um, no. not doing that. mi tek of weight the last 10 weeks, be damned if mi a go encourage it back on.

my big fear is that i will start to run then have to stop and walk. so mi not drinking no water along the way, caw mi no want no stitch.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Re: nervous as heck

cant advise you but wanted to wish you well and give you a big

the runners will be here to help you out in no time
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

thanks, kia.

<span style="font-style: italic">hope di runna dem come soon .</span>

Comment

MG, great that you have walked 13.1 miles and planning to run a 5k on Sunday.

I'm taking it that you have been training and getting yourself prepared. I have one rule of thumb when it comes to running any distance race... taking it seriously. Your training should have you doing 2-3 distance runs per week, including your cross training at least once a week.

Eating - This will be your first time so your body has to get some used to and you'll eventually figure out what works well for you. However, you need the energy to complete a 5K race. Eat properly in the days and night leading up to the race. The recommendation is to eat carbs (pasta, rice, bread/bagles). Personally for me, the less I eat the better I feel but each person body behaves differently. Just don't over do the eating. The night before the race, eat early to allow your body time to digest the food.

Start hydrating before and after the race. A 5k is a shorter distance but you will still sweat.

Pace yourself - this will be your first (i'm taking it is); so start off at a moderate pace and then as the miles start to kick in and your body start to find that groove, then you can kick in the speed. The recommendation is to start off comfortably and pace yourself.

Woohoo! MG doing her 5K this Sunday.

Comment

ahhhh MG you will do just fine.

few years ago thr company I worked for was in a city wide sports thing where we had to have people involved in various sports events. The day before the 10K race the female we had lined up to run dropped out.

We peer pressured this other co-worker who was a part time fitness trainer and gym rat to do it. She taught a body fit class (aerobics with weights) but had never run a day in her life.

She placed in the top 10 and wasn't even winded, her only complaint was that she was bored running as she didn't think to bring music.

Comment

Why u never come poas seh u a train fi marathon in the healthy living thread when me ask bout exercise

me nuh know bout them tings, so me just come in here to faas and wish u good luck
            “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CeaBee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why u never come poas seh u a train fi marathon in the healthy living thread when me ask bout exercise

me nuh know bout them tings, so me just come in here to faas and wish u good luck </div></div>

LOL CB .. Yuh si how Mgee a hole out pan wi dowe

Mgee... go on wid yuh bad self

My bro is an avid 5K runner and he often does the pasta and rice thing a day or two before the race ...so your bro not leading yuh a stray. It's the energy that you will need why that is the case. An memba seh yuh ago burn it off in di race so doan sweat it Jus doan ova do it.

I am a little worried when yuh seh yuh naah goh drink in di race dowe... mi noh waan yuh drap dung fram dehydration. I just remember that 35-year-old firefighter that just died at the end of the race Mi have a sneaky suspicion seh wid heat an not properly hydrated resulted in his death.

Good Luck! And Channel the &quot;eye of the tiger&quot; when yuh out dere
              <span style="font-weight: bold"> Click HERE 4 Info.. </span>

Comment

thanks a lot, Sandi. i've been training with a personal training, and have done a couple of distance runs, perhaps not as many as i should have. my last run was 7K this Sunday gone, and i hate to say it, it took me a couple days to recover. i still carry a lot of weight, so am not setting any outrageous goals for the 5K. I'll be happy to get it done in under 45mins.

my trainer is waiting for my exercise plan for after the race. still thinking about it, as we're heading into cold weather. i may come up with a plan to run 10K in the spring, and do indoor distance runs on my treadmill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SandiF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MG, great that you have walked 13.1 miles and planning to run a 5k on Sunday.

I'm taking it that you have been training and getting yourself prepared. I have one rule of thumb when it comes to running any distance race... taking it seriously. Your training should have you doing 2-3 distance runs per week, including your cross training at least once a week.

Eating - This will be your first time so your body has to get some used to and you'll eventually figure out what works well for you. However, you need the energy to complete a 5K race. Eat properly in the days and night leading up to the race. The recommendation is to eat carbs (pasta, rice, bread/bagles). Personally for me, the less I eat the better I feel but each person body behaves differently. Just don't over do the eating. The night before the race, eat early to allow your body time to digest the food.

Start hydrating before and after the race. A 5k is a shorter distance but you will still sweat.

Pace yourself - this will be your first (i'm taking it is); so start off at a moderate pace and then as the miles start to kick in and your body start to find that groove, then you can kick in the speed. The recommendation is to start off comfortably and pace yourself.

Woohoo! MG doing her 5K this Sunday. </div></div>

Comment

say what now? when u poas dat? is it that everlasting thread?

mi a train fi 5K, not marathon (which is like, 40K). is really not a long distance, well mi walk dat nuff times, the challenge is that mi a go run it this time. thanks for the good luck wishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CeaBee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why u never come poas seh u a train fi marathon in the healthy living thread when me ask bout exercise

me nuh know bout them tings, so me just come in here to faas and wish u good luck </div></div>

Comment

thanks, T. i know i can do it, at the very least, mi can walk it. but mi want to run it continuously and mi nerves a get to me. i so don't want to break into a walk. dont know why, but to me that's like a sign of failure.

one day my personal trainer came running with me on the neighbourhood 5K distance i use for practice, and it was like she was on a stroll, chatting away, running backwards to keep up the conversation, while i was panting and gasping and grunting (my end of the conversation), lol. one day i'll get there, i think, i'm certainly a lot fitter and running better now than when i started. the trainer was very good in teaching me about technique - using breathing and my arms to keep my body going when i mentally feel like quitting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diabolical_Tanya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ahhhh MG you will do just fine.

few years ago thr company I worked for was in a city wide sports thing where we had to have people involved in various sports events. The day before the 10K race the female we had lined up to run dropped out.

We peer pressured this other co-worker who was a part time fitness trainer and gym rat to do it. She taught a body fit class (aerobics with weights) but had never run a day in her life.

She placed in the top 10 and wasn't even winded, her only complaint was that she was bored running as she didn't think to bring music. </div></div>

Comment

MG, the 5K is a start and a <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> good start. Running I find to be the ultimate weight loss machine... just keep it up. You will feel fearful but at the end of the race you will feel glorious! When I think of my first 5K, I was nervous as hell. After adding more and more miles, a 5K will feel like... well... many times not enough or just a walk in the park. LOL! Running can be addictive and it is a great motivator, heart rate booster, fat banisher, fat immobilizer... and the great thing is running is your time.

Every race comes with its nervousness and little bit of anxiety but once as that gun goes off and you are off..... you will complete that race with a big smile. I like to set race race goals, even if it is to just finish the race. Just don't let nothing, not even fear stop you.

Comment

same here....way to go mg an good luck
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Can the Ethiopian change his skin
                        or the leopard its spots?
                        Neither can you do good
                        who are accustomed to doing evil. (Jer 13:23)</span>

Comment

I'm shocked. Go head MGee!
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Gwan thru MGee

You will be fine, get in your cards and hydrate yourself before and after the race. You don't really need water during the race.

A 5K is 3.1 miles so you will be fine.

Comment

WTG MGee do any of your girls run?

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X