Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

chiropractic care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chiropractic care

scam or is there something there

your thoughts?
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Re: chiropractic care

Scam for the most part. Try finding an "integrative health practitioner" who is both a medical doctor and a doctor of chiropractic. I went to this guy in Washington, DC. He was good but overlooked a simple complaint I was having.

Comment

I do believe that a well adjusted and aligned spine will lead to the ability to walk well later in life. My mother in law's dad was a chiro and she has been adjusted monthly for years. At 85, she walks very well and has good posture.

Where I become suspicious is when some chiro's say they can cure ailments such as blood pressure or asthma with chiro only.

Comment

True. Does your MIL maintain a good body weight, exercise regularly, and eat healthy?

I still maintain that most chiropractors are scam artists.

There. I said it.

Comment

I am still on the fence.... I was in a car accident last year and my regular doctor told me to go to the Chiro and I was like the last time I went to a physical therapist and i felt like they were trying to kill me so I said ok I would give the chiro a try.

I found one and he was ok, what I like was that he slowly worked up to doing any "adjustments" the first couple weeks it was strictly icing the areas (he gave me all sort of ice packs to take home) and using the TENS unit, dat electrical ting, on my neck and back and tracking how I moved and where I had pain.

Then after that was excercises and then after that gently manipulations, so by the end I don't know how much that part alone contributed my improvement but overall I improved.

Would I go see another one? proabably not.
          Psalm 27: The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peasie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True. Does your MIL maintain a good body weight, exercise regularly, and eat healthy?

I still maintain that most chiropractors are scam artists.

There. I said it. </div></div>

she eats healthy but has health issues but a straight back is not one of them.

My mom got great relief with her sciatica with chiro care only

I think if it is a straight back issue it does work but if they say they can fix all that ails the body with manipulation I say scam artist too

Comment

Question: Does Chiropractic Treatment Work And When Should It Be Considered For Pain Relief?

Answer: There's good evidence that chiropractic care can be a benefit in a number of different painful conditions. Low back pain is one of them, particularly acute low back pain. Chiropractic care can speed the resolution of flare-ups of low back pain, and it can reduce the overall level of abnormal function; you can get up and around and walk sooner, and get back to your normal activities of daily living sooner after chiropractic care. In the longer term, it's less clear, because there are some scientific studies, but they seem to be conflicting; they give conflicting results. Some saying that it does help with chronic low back pain, and others that say it's not very beneficial, or it's not beneficial at all. So difficult to answer whether or not it's good for chronic low back pain.
              Chiropractic Treatment For Pain? Watch Video

Can it be harmful? Absolutely, it can be harmful. And a good chiropractor, someone who is well-versed in the field, would pick up on those warning signs and would stay away from manipulation in very specific areas. Some of the areas that are most worrisome are people who have large herniated disks, so large that they're pressing on the spinal cord or the nerve roots. Manipulation can worsen that pressure and even cause paralysis. Very uncommon, easy to pick up the warning signs, and the vast majority of well-trained chiropractors would stay well away from manipulation in those situations.
              source

Comment

I see your point. I will now change my opinion to: <span style="font-weight: bold">Aside from those who work on the lower back, most chiros are scams.</span>

Comment

chiropractic is totally NOT a scam. there may be individual ppl who are -- but a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> chiropractor will explain they do not &quot;cure&quot; anything; but that they bring the body into correct balance and alignment, so it heals itself with its' own natural processes.

by bringing the body into balance and alignment, with the bones in the right places, it takes pressure off the muscles &amp; pinched nerves, allows proper blood flow to the brain, organs, nerves, and extremities - immense pain relief.

at 21, I had scoliosis, as well as debilitating pain from pinched nerves... couple months of chiropractic and my spine was able to recover, and come back into balance. once the pressure was off the bones, they went back where they belonged, which allowed the muscle spasms to relax and stop pulling the bones out of whack. that in turn, let the blood run through the body correctly and give nourishment &amp; oxygen to all those starved inflamed nerves; once they were properly oxygenated, and no longer pinched with bones pressing on them, they calmed down and stopped producing pain.

It's not just one visit and done, it takes time - for me it was every other day at first, then 3 X a week, then once a week; as the body got stronger and started to &quot;hold&quot; the alignment. And in the end, no more scoliosis - my spine was straightened without drugs, surgery, body-brace, or traction -- by allowing the body to heal itself.

I still swear by it, any time i twist myself up or get back pain or headache; if i could afford it i'd still have myself adjusted regularly just for gp's, to support general well-being and good body-mechanics. <span style="font-size: 8pt"> <span style="font-style: italic">(when i get job and health insurance i can go back to doin' that)</span></span>

so if you're lookin for a chiropractor keyer, pay attention to what s/he says <span style="font-style: italic">about</span> chiropractic and how it works. Many will give a free consultation, to see <span style="font-style: italic">IF</span> chiropractic is even appropriate for your issue; those are the ones you want to look for. If they just say &quot; yah, it cures everything, come on in&quot; .... well i'd think twice about that guy, lol.

some may do x-rays as part of the consultation; although some avoid that cause it's not natural; but others will do them one time only if it's really necessary to see what's goin on inside the body. I know for me it was pretty amazing, and helpful, to actually see how bent my spine truly was. in my case it was bent in the shape of a 'C', not an 'S' - so it was fixable. but before we even started, he told me that he might not be able to help me, and the consult would tell us <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> chiropractic could fix the problem or not.

but in any case, it's not a scam. it has helped me immensely - and most importantly, naturally -- no drugs, no surgery.... which is the &quot;medical doctor's&quot; only solution; expensive chemicals. and THAT's the origin of how the 'scam' thing started - cause of course, MD's hate anything natural and cheap that ppl can do for themselves, cause that would of course, put them outta business - and they have downtalked any natural healing methods for decades. (nowadays this is becoming less, but the 'idea' of natural medicine is still poo-poohed by many MD's). Now, if i break a leg.... yes, in that case i'll go to the ER, but if it's my back or neck that hurts - well then, the chiropractor is where i'm going.
                  Fear is the lock, and laughter the key to your heart.

Comment

I see your point. I will now change my opinion to: <span style="font-weight: bold">Aside from those who work on SistaCaf's back, some chiros are scams.</span>

Comment

pssst sistacaf
                      <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;"><span style="font-style: italic"> I already go for regular maintenance to my zen chiro guy who does not take insurance and has charged us $35 for year till we thought he deserved a raise and we now pay him $40. However I threw out my lower back and am 'visiting' another chiro as he has the xrays, p/t and the massage all within his practice. He is younger, uses a little different methods but once down to once a week, I will go back to 'my guy' </span></div></div></div>

Comment

(((peasie)))

and i hope you get to feeling better Keyer.... that lower back pain is the WUSST.

one of the best ones i ever had, when i lived in Denver, also had everything right in his office; part of his standard treatment was 15 minutes of shiatsu deep-tissue massage before the adjustment, it really helped the muscles to relax so the adjustment would go easier and hold better, without the tight muscles working against the treatment. oh <span style="font-style: italic">man</span> i wished i coulda brought him with me when i moved away from there!

Comment

Adding Chiro to my list of ppl to see right after the reflexology smaddy.

Comment

oh yah, reflexology is awesome too !

(ancient chinese secret!)

Comment

I thought chiropractic care was a big flim flam until after I had an accident. It was serious. My passenger is 40% disabled for life.

Now while I think the whole lawyer and chiropractic team was shady, I will still give credit where it is due to the chiropractor. (Always pick your lawyer. Never let your lawyer pick you.)

I can't say anything about long-term correction of problems but the chiropractor certainly relieved my discomfort. He was able to identify my sources of pain without me even telling him. It seemed like magic at the time but I now know you can figure out where pain is even because some spots are hotter than others.

At any rate, I give chiropractors respect now because regardless of how I got there, he was a good one. I had to have some level of trust in him to go past one visit. In general, when someone is clicking things around your spine (though not painful), you are either in or running for the door.

The neurologist I visited was old and worn out and brought no relief so that also added to why I liked the chiropractor. The massage to relax me before treatment certainly didn't hurt either.
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X