Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Healthy living- runners tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy living- runners tips

New thread..other one is getting kinda cumbersome

10 tips for new runners

. Track your shoes' mileage. Worn out shoes can often contribute to and/or exacerbate pain in the ankles, knees, and hips. Like the shelf-life of the loaf bread in your pantry, your shoes have a "road-life." Instead of time, shoes are best checked for "freshness" by the miles put on them. A good rule of thumb is to buy new shoes every 300 to 500 miles. This will vary from person to person. A small person with a neutral gate may get closer to the 500 miles while a heavier/taller runner may breakdown his/her shoes more quickly and only get 300 miles.

2. Have more than one pair of running shoes. To extend the life of your shoes, having two pair is a great idea. Alternate your runs between the two pairs. Or, you could also have one pair suitable for longer runs and a lightweight pair for your faster speed workouts. Having two pairs is also helpful when you've had a rainy or muddy run. While one pair is drying, you can run in the alternate pair.

3. Only run in your running shoes. Wearing your running shoes to work or for your daily routine, can quickly break them down. After my running shoes are past their running prime, they become my knock-about-shoes. Then when they're too worn out for that, they become my yard work shoes.

Click here to find out more!

4. Have a gait analysis done. Make sure you're wearing the right pair of shoes for your foot strike. Many running shoe stores and running coaches offer running gait analysis as a service. They'll have you run on a treadmill and/or outside and analyze how your foot lands when you run. Whether you roll inward, outward, or have very little or no roll will help them determine if you need a neutral, stability, or motion control shoe.

5. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch! Pre- and post-run stretching is very important in helping prevent injury. Dynamic stretching such as walking, an easy jog, butt kicks, side shuffles, walking lunges, and high knee are all examples of dynamic stretching. If you still feel tight after the dynamic stretches, then you can do some of the more traditional static (stretch-n-hold) stretches. After your run, static stretches for the quads, glutes, calves, hamstrings, and hip flexors are appropriate. If you've been sitting at a desk all day or driving hours in the car, you can become very tight. It's important to loosen up those muscles before taking them for a run.

6. Drink up! Proper hydration is vital in helping to prevent muscle cramps. If you're dehydrated before you begin your run or if you become dehydrated during your run, you increase the risk of depleted electrolytes. Potassium (an electrolyte) is needed in order for your muscles to relax after they've contracted. If you begin your run with depleted potassium levels or you deplete them while sweating on the run and don't rehydrate while running, you increase your chances for cramping of the calves, quads and/or hamstrings.
    “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Re: Healthy living- runners tips

7. Rein it in! Avoid overstriding. Work on a foot landing that's more underneath your torso. This allows your body (ankles, knees, and hips) to work more like a shock absorber. This also allows more of a mid-foot (flat-foot) or forefoot landing which allows you to work with the pavement not against it. Having more of a mid-foot or forefoot landing allows you to push off the ground instead of pulling-then-pushing which happens when you strike the ground with your heel out in front of the body. This heel-striking causes a breaking effect instead of allowing your body to work like a shock absorber. This breaking effect can jar the knees and hips.

8. Lean baby, lean! Increase your pace by leaning forward from the ankle (not the hips). The subtle forward lean will increase your pace without widening your stride. Don't believe me? Try it. You'll be amazed. Adding the lean not only will help increase your pace, but it will do it with less muscle activation, which means less energy used, which means fatigue takes longer to set in.

9. Do more than run. Adding full-body (lower-body, core, and upper-body) muscular endurance circuit training will help you build muscles that will endure and support you on your runs, particularly your long runs. Running really is about 50 percent lower-body and 50 percent upper body. The stronger (muscular endurance-wise) your core and upper-body are the longer you'll offset fatigue. Think lighter weights, more reps (12 to 15) and less rest between sets. Remember you're shooting for the Ryan Hall and Josh Cox look, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.

10. Sort it! Plagued by nagging aches and pains but can't seem to pin point the cause? Then track your runs on a spreadsheet. Create columns for each type of run you do (trail, road), weather conditions, your various shoes, time of day (morning, midday, afternoon). Next, add columns for other factors such as if you fueled pre- and post-run, stretched pre- and post-run. Then add columns for aches and pains (sore knees, sore ankles, sore hips, etc.)

Finally add columns that rate the run (Great, Mediocre, Horrible, etc.). For each run, put a check mark in each column that applies to that run. Do this for about four weeks. Then sort the data by the aches-n-pains columns. For example, do a sort by "Sore Knees" Then look at all the runs that caused your knees to be sore. What other common factors pop up? Did you wear an old pair of running shoes for each run? Was each run on a route with a lot of concrete? Did you forget to stretch before each of the "sore knee" runs? This will quickly help you see patterns in your running that you can avoid or try to repeat.

www.active.com

Comment

great thread CB

I need new running shoes but fraid to get one because dem tek time to break in..but I have low arches an di support not that great on my shoes now so is time fi go back out dere go look shoes. Any runners have trouble wid arch pain?
      <span style="font-style: italic">Can the Ethiopian change his skin
      or the leopard its spots?
      Neither can you do good
      who are accustomed to doing evil. (Jer 13:23)</span>

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great thread CB

I need new running shoes but fraid to get one because dem tek time to break in..but I have low arches an di support not that great on my shoes now so is time fi go back out dere go look shoes. Any runners have trouble wid arch pain? </div></div>

u have to go to a runners store and mek dem evaluate u feet &amp; everyting

now u have low arches you may want to invest in professional orthopedics.. boykia have dem and im knee issues have resolved. Best $400 spent just pray him size 12 foot done grow
        If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
        We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

I was trying to find a visual of this lean from the ankles thing...cause i wasn't sure that i understood

http://www.newbalance.com/performanc...elements/lean/

Skells my shoe never need no breaking in. but in any case your 5k isn't until May right? u should have enough time to break it in if u have to. I went to a running store for my first &quot;real&quot; pair of sneakers. Next time I guess i could just go buy the same shoe at another store..probably cheaper.

or maybe I need to get it analysed periodically? maybe ILP or Sandi will answer that question

Comment

A just today I was saying, time to get a new running shoes cause this Brooks feels like it has done its time... Close to a year and nuff miles on it. Since I'm doing more trail running than road races, I plan to get another Brooks ASR7. It worked so well on last year's 50 miles race, mi not even want to try out another brand shoes.

Been thinking of a minimalist trail running shoes as well... but still on the fence

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great thread CB

I need new running shoes but fraid to get one because dem tek time to break in..but I have low arches an di support not that great on my shoes now so is time fi go back out dere go look shoes. Any runners have trouble wid arch pain? </div></div>

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CeaBee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was trying to find a visual of this lean from the ankles thing...cause i wasn't sure that i understood

http://www.newbalance.com/performanc...elements/lean/

or maybe I need to get it analysed periodically? maybe ILP or Sandi will answer that question </div></div>

do i detect another runner *cough...CB...cough* on di boardlane...

as for the shoes...I change my out bout once every 500-600 miles or so. I let mine go longer that is &quot;recommended&quot; because i have 4 pairs that i rotate and like the article said, I only run in my running shoes. As for the gait/stride/foot strike analysis, I do it about every other year. Only because things change, i'm getting younger , new shoe technology comes out, etc. I have low (almost no arches) and must be careful about the shoes I buy. So far, no knee pain (bless God for good form ) and mi nu want none either.

As far as I'm concerned..running is a relatively cheap sport. One doesn't need all kind of equipment to do it. Shoes? And for us ladies a good bra? Spending a few extra dollars on a good pair of shoes are the least I can do, so that I can do it for decades to come.
              Hurt people, hurt people.

Comment

Thanks ILP

it seem to be going ok. Yesterday seemed a lot easier. When summer come me nuh know how/if me gwine manage with the heat

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as for the shoes...I change my out bout once every 500-600 miles or so</div></div>

Lowd of his mercy..what is dis pan mi dear Gad. Afta fi mi boot noh come wid wan odometer..how mi ago know how much mile pan it ILP ?

Well di last time unu did tell mi to change my shoes, I did. Mi cyaan memba when dat was (last yr sometime) Mi noh run/walk but 2 -3 miles 4 days tops...soh about how often fimi boot fi change

CB- you know I tried the lean forward advise in your post and it does make a difference
                  <span style="font-weight: bold"> Click HERE 4 Info.. </span>

Comment

i tried it yesterday but that's before i had the visual. the onlookers at the park were probably just wondering why i was running so funny

me gwine study it some more and try tomorrow again. The running store near me has clinics on form..but the last time they had it, I was still feeling very green and was shy fi go

the next one them have in my area me gwine sign up though

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WeNdY_PeNdY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as for the shoes...I change my out bout once every 500-600 miles or so</div></div>

Lowd of his mercy..what is dis pan mi dear Gad. Afta fi mi boot noh come wid wan odometer..how mi ago know how much mile pan it ILP ?

Well di last time unu did tell mi to change my shoes, I did. Mi cyaan memba when dat was (last yr sometime) Mi noh run/walk but 2 -3 miles 4 days tops...soh about how often fimi boot fi change </div></div>

2.5 miles x 4 = 10 miles a week.... Go from there.
                      Hurt people, hurt people.

Comment

big image from here http://www.goodformrunning.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;">http://www.goodformrunning.com/ </div></div></div>

Comment

fellow newbies also take a look at these videos

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos

Comment

Awesome run today

a new lady was there. hopefully she'll stick around. the other two that started with me haven't replied to the email that i sent them about the 10k in April, and haven't been to the sunday runs in a while.

The coach lady seh that she'll run it with me tho

Comment

Re: Healthy living- save your do

In 2009, comedian Chris Rock supposedly betrayed black women. Rock shed a fascinating, eye-opening and thoughtful spotlight on the extraordinary lengths black women go through to maintain their hair in his controversial documentary &quot;Good Hair.&quot;

Rock caught a lot of backlash -- especially from black women -- but the truth is, whether it is paid for, natural or chemically enhanced, black women don't play around when it comes to our hair.

Some believe this obsession has had a damning effect on the health and fitness of black women. Speaking at the renowned Bronner Bros. International Hair Show last August in Atlanta -- an event that primarily showcases the newest hairstyles and trends for African-American women -- Surgeon General Dr. Regina M. Benjamin, a black woman, chastised other black women for forgoing exercise to maintain their hair. She also revealed an awful statistic: Nearly 50 percent of black women over age 20 are overweight or obese, compared with 33 percent of white women and 43 percent of Hispanic women.

Benjamin's words angered some people, but they also proved to actress Nicole Ari Parker that she was on the right track.

Parker is the creator of the Save Your Do Gymwrap , which she hails as a lifesaver for women who want to be active but also preserve their hair. The wrap, which she released earlier this month and comes in different sizes and colors, uses Edge Control Technology to absorb sweat and heat while allowing cool air in. So instead of your hair being soaked after a workout, it's dry.
                              Nicole Ari ParkerSave Your DoNicole Ari Parker created the Save Your Do Gymwrap, which keeps hair dry during workouts so women can't use damaging their hair as an excuse to avoid exercising.

The wrap cost between $24.95 and $29.95. Ten percent of the proceeds go to Sophie's Voice Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded by Parker and her husband, Boris Kodjoe, to honor their daughter Sophie, who has spina bifida.

&quot;It's really about being part of the solution,&quot; said Parker, who will star as Blanche DuBois in the Broadway production of &quot;A Streetcar Named Desire&quot; starting April 22 but is perhaps best known for her role as Teri Joseph in the award-winning Showtime series &quot;Soul Food.&quot;

Parker's creation might not sound like a big deal, but if we're keeping it real, any woman who spends good money on her hair isn't eager to ruin it by working out.

Parker admits she once used her hair as an excuse not to work out, so much so that she looked up last year and realized she'd gained 30 pounds.

&quot;I would have pancakes,&quot; Parker said. &quot;I'd take my kids to school. I'd have lunch. I'd have pasta and mashed potatoes with butter for dinner and a glass of wine and I'm not doing anything. Maybe 20 minutes on the treadmill.

&quot;But my hair was tight.&quot;

http://espn.go.com/espnw/more-sports...-urges-fitness

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X