Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group


Hi All



For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Desperate : Fridge : Help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Desperate : Fridge : Help!

    The story is so long, that it’s now painful. It’d be to stressful to recount in detail so, suffice it to say, I need a new fridge – quickly and desperately. Of course, the worst way to go about buying an appliance.

    I know that pretty much any and all brands probably have their share of issues but for heaven sake, isn’t there one or two out there that are WELL MADE anymore? RELIABLE?

    We have a Whirlpool fridge that is 21 years old – strong as an ox – in mint condition and operation. Would’ve probably run for ANOTHER 20 years! Let’s just say, an extended visit from an extremely mischievous visiting 11 year old – yadda yadda yadda – the fridge is now dead.

    I want to know if you guys have had any horror stories with any particular brand -

    Any success stories with a brand fridge that you can tell me of -

    There’s almost no fridge out there that I haven’t read about, looked at online and in store this week – vast majority are disappointing and none seem as strong as my fridge that I’m replacing.

    Am looking for a basic fridge – no water dispenser – no bells and whistle – just something good and strong. No french doors, no side by side. My only preference is a freezer on the bottom.

    Any thoughts?

  • #2
    since you are not looking for any fancy features I would just shop based on price.

    find one that has what you want an fits your budget.

    multiple brands are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory so i don't think there is any real quality difference .

    i have a 20 year old kitchenaid..only issue is the water dispenser went bad. cant bother replace the pump on this old fridge .
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the thoughts Rich. Yep - I knew about the mfg route - several big companies making different labels etc. I just can't believe how crappy these current day appliances are. And soooo expensive. Ugh!

      I guess it's not the end of the world but omg - so distressing.

      It's driving me CRAZY!


      Originally posted by RichD View Post
      since you are not looking for any fancy features I would just shop based on price.

      find one that has what you want an fits your budget.

      multiple brands are made by the same manufacturer in the same factory so i don't think there is any real quality difference .

      i have a 20 year old kitchenaid..only issue is the water dispenser went bad. cant bother replace the pump on this old fridge .

      Comment


      • #4
        why should it be distressing my dear? Consumer reports tests all the fridges, you not looking fancy.. just want a bottom freezer,... the only question still open is if u want counter depth or standard depth?
        If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
        We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

        Comment


        • #5
          It's distressing bcz of how it came to be, that we even NEED a new fridge - because the quality I'm finding is so poor as compared to our dead fridge - because the costs are so high for so low quality - consumer reports is not all that.

          It's hard to drop $800, $900 $1000 on a fridge and have it be luck of the draw as to how good it's going to be. Sure there's extended warranties but after much research, there's so many loop holes in them, that also can be a ripoff. And the vast majority of warranties are for repair and NOT replacement. Such a scam. Sorry LG, but if I'm giving you $$$ for a fridge and there's a problem, especially in the first year - even the second, I don't want to try and have it repaired 3 times.

          We've a small kitchen - to get something that fits and that's not a behemoth and an actual good fridge seems near impossible.

          So frustrating.

          Last night I spent about an hour reading about a brand that has issues with the molding cracking inside the fridge. Come on! No way is that supposed to be cracking. That's the main part of the fridge! I found literally, hundreds of complaints. What's the mfg do - send a tech out to just patch it. Crazy.

          Originally posted by kia027 View Post
          why should it be distressing my dear? Consumer reports tests all the fridges, you not looking fancy.. just want a bottom freezer,... the only question still open is if u want counter depth or standard depth?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yuriatin View Post
            It's distressing bcz of how it came to be, that we even NEED a new fridge - because the quality I'm finding is so poor as compared to our dead fridge - because the costs are so high for so low quality - consumer reports is not all that.

            It's hard to drop $800, $900 $1000 on a fridge and have it be luck of the draw as to how good it's going to be. Sure there's extended warranties but after much research, there's so many loop holes in them, that also can be a ripoff. And the vast majority of warranties are for repair and NOT replacement. Such a scam. Sorry LG, but if I'm giving you $$$ for a fridge and there's a problem, especially in the first year - even the second, I don't want to try and have it repaired 3 times.

            We've a small kitchen - to get something that fits and that's not a behemoth and an actual good fridge seems near impossible.

            So frustrating.

            Last night I spent about an hour reading about a brand that has issues with the molding cracking inside the fridge. Come on! No way is that supposed to be cracking. That's the main part of the fridge! I found literally, hundreds of complaints. What's the mfg do - send a tech out to just patch it. Crazy.
            so the old fridge cannot be repaired?
            When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe - not sure. We were able to find out that some of the parts that are needed are no longer even made so either way, it'd be a rough road.

              PLUS, it's $200 service call.

              That's before $$$ labor -

              That's before $$$ parts -

              We decided to not repair it because the cost might be better spent on a new fridge and plus, it can't be determined what ELSE the kid did to the fridge that might rear its head later.



              Originally posted by RichD View Post
              so the old fridge cannot be repaired?

              Comment


              • #8
                Back & forth with hubby in deciding whether or not to go whole hog and get something that’s ’top of the line’ - whatever THAT means.

                I was going to get a Fisher & Paykel. They’re the ONLY ones on the mkt that make a fridge that’s shallow enough for our kitchen. Unreal.

                http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...?brand_store=1

                But after researching them most of the week, calling and talking to the manufacturer and reading reviews, OMG, they’re a nightmare – total hit or miss.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Scaled down to these options now ...

                  http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Kitch...287+4294967281

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a Whirlpool basic freezer at bottom fridge that is 3 years old. The problem I've had with this fridge is something (piece of frozen kale from bag dat did buss) would get stuck somewhere and sheet of ice would form at base. After a while it would leak on floor

                    I have always used Sears for appliance repair and they do a good job. I bought Sears warranty for kitchen appliances repair and replacement even though I did not purchase them from Sears.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ok there is a small kitchen you are working with.. what is the max dimension of the space u want to fill?

                      We have an electrolux and the only problems we have had were kids banging on water dispenser and breaking the thingy.. otherwise it works well. It is counter depth which helps in a small space
                      If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                      We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kia dahling - how long have u had the Electrolux?



                        Originally posted by kia027 View Post
                        ok there is a small kitchen you are working with.. what is the max dimension of the space u want to fill?

                        We have an electrolux and the only problems we have had were kids banging on water dispenser and breaking the thingy.. otherwise it works well. It is counter depth which helps in a small space

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Whe bout Maytag fridge?
                          JA.com member #946 for LIFE!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yuriatin View Post
                            Kia dahling - how long have u had the Electrolux?

                            since 2008.. and electrolux is frigidaire
                            If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                            We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whatever you do, don't get a GE.
                              7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

                              Comment

                              Welcome to vBulletin!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

                              ads

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Working...
                              X