Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

2015 Basement Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twiney View Post
    Peasie just noticed you did the recessed light in the shower. Somebody looked on me strange when I said I was doing that. Absolutely love it. ..
    It was the contractor's idea. I wish I had done the same i the upstairs guest bath. The cover for the recessed light it closes the bulb. I'll try to get a closer shot.

Comment

So you went with contractor C?
      Show me your papers.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peasie View Post
        So now I have four contractor bids. Let's say, my budget is $20k.

Contractor A = 15,000
        Contractor B = 18,999
        Contractor C = 12,000
        Contractor D = 17,000

All are licensed, bonded, and insured. Contractor B and D are large companies but Contractor D is family-owned. Contractor A is just starting out and I suspect I may have problems with him completing work on time.

While Contractor C is least costly, I actually liked his work before he submitted his bid. He has great references and he works with only one partner. He is a master carpenter and his partner is a master electrician. He is methodical and the work will take about 10 weeks.

How to choose?
        Originally posted by Blackstar* View Post
        So you went with contractor C?
        no. I went with contractor D.

Comment

It was the contractor's idea. I wish I had done the same i the upstairs guest bath. The cover for the recessed light it closes the bulb. I'll try to get a closer shot.
          I should take a picture of mine one of these days... have to get the covered one to use in shower or it wont be up to code.

Comment

It's called a recessed shower light trim and mine looks something like this. It costs about US$20 and easily available at Home Depot.

globe-electric-90026-6.jpg
            Tired of these workmen in my house now. Project taking an extra week as custom cabinets coming next week. Chrrps.

Comment

This is the one I've in my bathroom

It's called a recessed shower light trim and mine looks something like this. It costs about US$20 and easily available at Home Depot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2985[/ATTACH]
              Tired of these workmen in my house now. Project taking an extra week as custom cabinets coming next week. Chrrps.

Comment

If you have any recessed downlights, please consider cree LEDS. They even sell them at home depot and are easy to install
                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-6-in...84?N=5yc1vZbol

energy saver
                If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

@ what Kia said

I have 22 (yes, 22) recessed lights in the basement. Home Depot had a sale on these Philips SlimStyle LED dimmable light bulbs and I am a big fan. They are very light weight.

a337cac8-d098-4f54-88c9-47c998bf0ae1_400.jpg

Comment

I was told ours is the energy saving one

Comment

@ what Kia said

I have 22 (yes, 22) recessed lights in the basement. Home Depot had a sale on these Philips SlimStyle LED dimmable light bulbs and I am a big fan. They are very light weight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2986[/ATTACH]
                      Cool! Saw the price on home depot. If you were in NJ you could get them for $9.95 through the NJ clean energy program

http://www.energyfederation.org/njcl...3187_5407_8561

I looked to see if MD had a similar program and it ended up being at home depot so you got a good deal

Comment

Bathroom finally completed. Instead of towel bars I put in robe hooks by the bath from which to hang towels. By the sink I put in a glass shelf and two towel rings below

Some pics

Curved shower curtain double-rod. They have to repaint around the window as I put in a new window. Bathroom has exhaust fan. Floor tiles are ceramic. Bath tiles are white subway tiles. Trim is mosaic glass and stone tile. Shower curtain found at Target for $7 and matches mosaic tiles.
                        Last edited by Peasie; 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

looks good!
                          When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

Comment

Here is the other side of the basement guest suite / family room. It is still a work in progress! I painted the tongue-in-groove pine paneling white with blue accent walls. This allows for a brighter, airier space.

Before and after

The floor is vinyl planks in a blanched wood pattern. I love it! You can't scratch it and it is easy to wipe clean.

Comment

An interior French door at the bottom of the interior stairs offers a boundary and noise barrier.

In the last remodel four years ago I had opened up the upstairs to the downstairs by knocking down walls around the stairwell so the French door will reduce noise coming upstairs.

Leading down to basement living area.

Comment

Lovely!! Well done Peasie! I love how you painted the wall paneling as it brightens the room significantly.

Smart move on the towel hooks because young men doan like hang up towels (as I am finding out)

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X