Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

2015 Basement Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Basement Project

The finished basement has served us well in this old house in which I live. I hope to remodel the basement creating open spaces for:
    • a guest suite with kitchenette
    • bathroom re-do
    • laundry area re-do

On my wish list is a pet-wash sink. While I don't plan to have dogs all my life, I think this is a good idea to also store buckets and mops. Here is the concept for an inexpensive pet-wash:

If I had a larger house, I would so have a mud room in which I would put in a dog-wash as well as washer/dryer. Pickney can wash dem muddy shoes, etc. in there too.
    Last edited by Peasie; 01-05-2015, 06:42 PM.

I can also put dogs' water and food bowls in here

I like how this one look

Comment

just tink seh if yuh did get rid a de fufool dawg yuh wouldn't haffi tink pan dem tings here

Comment

pet washes look good until the pet shakes the water all over the place.

They have some places u can carry your pet for a wash (pet wash like a car wash) with dryers and everything.

It will however make your home have a very unique feature. As you have smallish dogs will the sink be enough?
        If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
        We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

Originally posted by Emperah View Post
          just tink seh if yuh did get rid a de fufool dawg yuh wouldn't haffi tink pan dem tings here

Dog is mommy best friend because he alerts her to all visitors whe a pass by

Comment

Originally posted by Emperah View Post

ah gwine sic Monty pan yuh baxide. yuh watch.

Comment

Originally posted by kia027 View Post
              pet washes look good until the pet shakes the water all over the place.

They have some places u can carry your pet for a wash (pet wash like a car wash) with dryers and everything.

It will however make your home have a very unique feature. As you have smallish dogs will the sink be enough?
              One dog is small. One dog is big. Big dog goes to groomer regularly during cold months (in warm weather is garden hose and shampoo and air dry outside).

The "pet wash" is like a utility sink thing but tiled. I can wash mops and cleaning stuff in there. If I had a garage, i would put one in there

Comment

Originally posted by Peasie View Post
                If I had a larger house, I would so have a mud room .
                7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Comment

This is what I am leaning towards. It is really a mop sink that can serve as an area to drip dry clothes and wash dogs

Comment

what do the dogs want?

Comment

Originally posted by kia027 View Post
                      what do the dogs want?
                      Dogs? Want? I don't understand that concept.

Comment

So now I have four contractor bids. Let's say, my budget is $20k.

Contractor A = 15,000
                        Contractor B = 18,999
                        Contractor C = 12,000
                        Contractor D = 17,000

All are licensed, bonded, and insured. Contractor B and D are large companies but Contractor D is family-owned. Contractor A is just starting out and I suspect I may have problems with him completing work on time.

While Contractor C is least costly, I actually liked his work before he submitted his bid. He has great references and he works with only one partner. He is a master carpenter and his partner is a master electrician. He is methodical and the work will take about 10 weeks.

How to choose?

Comment

Based on the info u provide I would narrow it down to C & D.

Big companies often sub-contract and that can be the root of frustration so I eliminating B. A you are already concerned about starting out and being unable to finish on time. From a recent experience I say don't do it or you might have to cuss pure badwerds.

Is there guarantee on the work of C? Will his lower cost allow you to upgrade some of your choices? What is the completion time for D and what do the references C?

Comment

Peasie - are any of the contractors in the middle of any jobs right now?

If so, ask them if the owner wld mind you can stop by and take a look @ the work while it's in progress.

On 2 diff occasions, we've had jobs to do and had it narrowed down to a couple contractors.

The way we decided was that the guy offered to have us come by a job site for a project he had in the works. WE did go by and that's what made the decision for us.

Originally posted by Peasie View Post
                            So now I have four contractor bids. Let's say, my budget is $20k.

Contractor A = 15,000
                            Contractor B = 18,999
                            Contractor C = 12,000
                            Contractor D = 17,000

All are licensed, bonded, and insured. Contractor B and D are large companies but Contractor D is family-owned. Contractor A is just starting out and I suspect I may have problems with him completing work on time.

While Contractor C is least costly, I actually liked his work before he submitted his bid. He has great references and he works with only one partner. He is a master carpenter and his partner is a master electrician. He is methodical and the work will take about 10 weeks.

How to choose?

Comment

Thank you Twiney and Yuri. Taken under careful consideration.

One other her thing is this. In the area I live it is common to hire day workers (mostly Salvadoreans) who hang out at Home Depot and some 7-11s. I don't want strangers in my house. Contractor C is a two-man shop very similar to who did work on my upstairs remodeling nearly 4 years ago. When necessary, they subcontracted with a plumbing company and I was given heads up on this.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X