Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Ideas for a jamaican dinner menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a jamaican dinner menu

My friends and I tke turns throwing dinner parties and this time around we each had to pick a country as a theme for the dinner, and obviously I chose Jamaica ( as I knew I could count on you guys). So if you could kindly suggest a menu for me ( 4 courses) and recipes :hideface: The easiest for me to do would be either oxtail or goat stew, but those are common dishes here.

please and thank you..
    Strive not with a man without a cause, if he has done you no harm, let bygones be bygones - BUJU.

menu first, then recipes later.

MENU

Mini codfish croquettes
    Jerk chicken wings
    Cup size red peas soup

Escovietch King fish steaks
    Festival
    Baked plantains
    Steam vegetables

Pineapple upside down mini cakes (made in muffin pan)
    Fresh fruit platter - papaya, orange, mango dotted with mint leaves

Rum or sorrel punch

Comment

Originally posted by Peasie View Post

menu first, then recipes later.

MENU

Mini codfish croquettes
      Jerk chicken wings
      Cup size red peas soup

Escovietch King fish steaks
      Festival
      Baked plantains
      Steam vegetables

Pineapple upside down mini cakes (made in muffin pan)
      Fresh fruit platter - papaya, orange, mango dotted with mint leaves

Rum or sorrel punch
      Wow, cant wait for the recipes. I am also worried about finding some of the ingredients locally
      Strive not with a man without a cause, if he has done you no harm, let bygones be bygones - BUJU.

Comment

if ingredients cannot be found you can substitute or peasie can post a back up recipe
        “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Comment

Originally posted by SamChabs View Post
          Wow, cant wait for the recipes. I am also worried about finding some of the ingredients locally
          which one u need recipe for?

I have my trusty cookbook handy

6162byeyzGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
          “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

Originally posted by CeaBee View Post
            which one u need recipe for?

I have my trusty cookbook handy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2330[/ATTACH]
            uhm... all of them :hideface:

Except the fresh fruit platter

Comment

I haven't tried this particular recipe but it looks similar to the one i have in the book....and it comes with a nice video tutorial

http://www.cooklikeajamaican.com/new...fish-fritters/

Comment

red peas soup

http://www.cooklikeajamaican.com/new...-red-pea-soup/

festival
                http://www.cooklikeajamaican.com/festival-dumplings/

Look like pz a give you whole heap a work to do in the kitchen

Comment

Thanks CB. I will use the site and post pictures... Wish me luck as I am not the greatest of cooks.

Comment

good luck!

maybe tek some a pz things offa the menu

like just have the jerk chicken wings and maybe another meat that can also be done in the oven...me not sure what meat this is though.

oh never mind me see is you ask fi the whole heap a work
                    Last edited by CeaBee; 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Saltfish (Cod) Croquettes

Ingredients

1 cup flour
                      2 teaspoons garlic powder
                      3/4 teaspoon baking powder
                      Salt to taste
                      1 Scotch Bonnet chili, chopped - substitute 1/2 finely chopped sweet green pepper + 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
                      3 scallions, chopped
                      1 tomato, chopped
                      1 egg, beaten
                      1/2 pound salt cod -substitute with fresh frozen cod filet or some other kind of meaty white fish.
                      1/4 cup water

Directions

Soak salt cod for at least 5 hours, or overnight, changing water several times, prior to cooking.

Mix flour, garlic powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add chili, scallions, tomato and stir in beaten egg. Add codfish and enough water to make a stiff batter. Shape tablespoon full of batter and drop into oil in a skillet. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels on a wire rack.

Adapted by Peasie from
                      : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/j...ml?oc=linkback

Comment

Jerk sauce to marinate chicken wings

This video shows a quick and easy way to make a liquid jerk marinade. It's not bad

Comment

Escovitch Fish

I like her method. Personally I like king fish (king mackerel) steaks. Here she uses red snapper. Important: prep the fish and season with salt and black pepper and set in fridge overnight. Dry fish carefully before frying.

Part 1

The best part of the escovitch is the dressing Ingredients should be available in Botswana except the scotch bonnet pepper but I am sure you can find a substitute

Part 2

Comment

Jamaican Sorrel Punch
                            Sammi, do you know about the karkadeh plant in Botswana? It is also known as karkadeh hibiscus sabdariffa. It is is the same or very similar to the Jamaican sorrel. It looks like this

I saw some research on it from the University of Botswana web site. It is dried and made into a drink and friends have had it in Egypt and Mozambique.

Jamaicans make it into a punch around Christmas time.

Comment

yeah i was gwine seh sorrel must can find over there under a different name

like saltfish may be under a diff name or there may be a similar kind of salted fish

every thing else should be there

salmon croquette
                              “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X