Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Recipe of the Day

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz
    replied
    Re: Recipe of the Day

yeah man - love it! they carry 2 brands up this side - Arnolds and Gualtney

Leave a comment:

• JamBrit
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SueSumba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never heard of beef bacon before </div></div>

Me either....don't think I've ever seen it any of the grocers I go to...interesting (not that I eat beef)....

Leave a comment:

• twiney
    replied

got the recipe in one of my magazines yesterday... I dont eat shrimp...so wouldnt know. I substitute scotch bonnet and chilli flakes in recipes...different flavours but the only things I use.

Leave a comment:

• Ja. Jewel
    replied

I didn't see any peanuts on the ingredients list....are they supposed to be chopped?....I wonder if this would taste good with shrimp in it?....do you think I could substitute scotch bonnet for the chili pepper called for?

Leave a comment:

• Ja. Jewel
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twiney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Green Mango Salad
    (Serves 6)

Ingredients

* 4 - 6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of red pepper
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of carrot
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) finely sliced wedges of red onion
    * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
    * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
    * 3 Tbsp (45 mL) fish sauce
    * 2 - 3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
    * 1 - 2 tsp (5-10 mL) sugar
    * 1 small, hot, green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped

1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mangos. Peel.

2. Carefully cut off several ¼-inch (.6 cm) slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3 - 4 cups (750 - 1,000 mL) of fruit.

3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.

4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Note that the amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. Add additional lime and sugar to taste. Toss mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate.

</div></div>

Have you tried this recipe, Twiny?...It sounds exotic &amp; very good....I'm working on growing my cilantro...would really like to try it when the cilantro is big enough to cut &amp; use.

Did your family like it?

Leave a comment:

• Jazz
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twiney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beef Bulgogi
    (Serves 6)

Beef Bulgogi, Korea’s national dish, is both familiar and exotic to Westerners. Serve it with steamed rice with chopped Kimchi, which you’ll find at many Asian markets and some supermarkets.

Ingredients
    Beef

* 2 pounds (900 g) beef, rib-eye or well-marbled sirloin
    * ½ cup (125 mL) pear juice (substitute
    * 1 ripe pear, mashed)
    * ½ cup (125 mL) light soy sauce
    * 2 Tbsp (30 mL) white sugar
    * 8 cloves garlic, flattened and chopped
    * 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Asian (toasted) sesame oil
    * 3 green onions, finely sliced
    * 3 ½ cup (125 mL) pine nuts

Vegetable Side Dishes

* 12 medium shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
    * 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
    * 3 medium zucchini, washed and quartered lengthwise
    * 12 green onions, trimmed
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
    * Salt and pepper

1. To facilitate slicing, put the beef in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, make the marinade by combining all remaining ingredients except pine nuts. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

2. Place pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast until they begin to turn golden (2-3 minutes). Shake the pan frequently because the nuts burn very quickly. Pour onto a clean plate to cool. Once cooled, chop the nuts finely.

3. Using a sharp knife, slice the partially frozen beef into 1/8 inch (.4 cm) slices.

4. In a large bowl, combine the beef and marinade. Gently toss to coat all slices. Cover the bowl. Allow the meat to marinate for about 30 minutes.

5. For the vegetables, combine the oils in a large bowl. Toss each vegetable separately. Season all with salt and pepper.

6. Preheat the barbeque to medium-high (400F). Using a large vegetable grilling basket, grill vegetables just until tender. Turn frequently. Remove to a large serving platter and keep warm while the beef is grilling.

7. Brush the grill with oil. Using BBQ tongs, pick up a couple of slices of beef at a time and lay them on the grill. Don’t worry about overlapping and tangled pieces. Each piece should have a variety of medium, medium-rare and crispy bits, for a variety of textures and flavours in each bite. Sprinkle with chopped pine nuts and serve immediately with grilled vegetables and rice.

<span style="color: #CC66CC">
    Wine Match
    A robust dish calls for a full-bodied red, such as the 2008 Kaiken Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina, $15. This rich wine has blackberry notes that will complement the grilled meat. Another choice is the 2008 Kangaroo Springs Shiraz, Australia, $10. Neither wine will accentuate the heat of the chilli paste.</span>

</div></div>

mmmmmmm - this looks GrEAT!!!! - must try this nex weekend

Leave a comment:

• Tulip
    replied

Twiney, you mean business up in here today. Only thing saving me is I'm not that hungry lol.

Leave a comment:

• loops
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SueSumba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never heard of beef bacon before </div></div>

This is the brand I use:

It tastes real good. </div></div>

I use that too or the ARNOLD brand... (watch Tulip run gaan look fe Arnold )

FYAAAAAHHHH pon trenton! </div></div>

well ain't that ironic. Arnold was the name of the pig on Green Acres.

Leave a comment:

• Tulip
    replied

You called me on that one! I'm like Arnold? Well, I'm gonna have to check that brand out.

Leave a comment:

• twiney
    replied

Green Mango Salad
    (Serves 6)

Ingredients

* 4 - 6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of red pepper
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of carrot
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) finely sliced wedges of red onion
    * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
    * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
    * 3 Tbsp (45 mL) fish sauce
    * 2 - 3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
    * 1 - 2 tsp (5-10 mL) sugar
    * 1 small, hot, green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped

1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mangos. Peel.

2. Carefully cut off several ¼-inch (.6 cm) slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3 - 4 cups (750 - 1,000 mL) of fruit.

3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.

4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Note that the amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. Add additional lime and sugar to taste. Toss mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate.

Leave a comment:

• twiney
    replied

Beef Bulgogi
    (Serves 6)

Beef Bulgogi, Korea’s national dish, is both familiar and exotic to Westerners. Serve it with steamed rice with chopped Kimchi, which you’ll find at many Asian markets and some supermarkets.

Ingredients
    Beef

* 2 pounds (900 g) beef, rib-eye or well-marbled sirloin
    * ½ cup (125 mL) pear juice (substitute
    * 1 ripe pear, mashed)
    * ½ cup (125 mL) light soy sauce
    * 2 Tbsp (30 mL) white sugar
    * 8 cloves garlic, flattened and chopped
    * 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
    * 3 green onions, finely sliced
    * 3 ½ cup (125 mL) pine nuts

Vegetable Side Dishes

* 12 medium shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
    * 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
    * 3 medium zucchini, washed and quartered lengthwise
    * 12 green onions, trimmed
    * ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
    * Salt and pepper

1. To facilitate slicing, put the beef in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, make the marinade by combining all remaining ingredients except pine nuts. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

2. Place pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast until they begin to turn golden (2-3 minutes). Shake the pan frequently because the nuts burn very quickly. Pour onto a clean plate to cool. Once cooled, chop the nuts finely.

3. Using a sharp knife, slice the partially frozen beef into 1/8 inch (.4 cm) slices.

4. In a large bowl, combine the beef and marinade. Gently toss to coat all slices. Cover the bowl. Allow the meat to marinate for about 30 minutes.

5. For the vegetables, combine the oils in a large bowl. Toss each vegetable separately. Season all with salt and pepper.

6. Preheat the barbeque to medium-high (400F). Using a large vegetable grilling basket, grill vegetables just until tender. Turn frequently. Remove to a large serving platter and keep warm while the beef is grilling.

7. Brush the grill with oil. Using BBQ tongs, pick up a couple of slices of beef at a time and lay them on the grill. Don’t worry about overlapping and tangled pieces. Each piece should have a variety of medium, medium-rare and crispy bits, for a variety of textures and flavours in each bite. Sprinkle with chopped pine nuts and serve immediately with grilled vegetables and rice.

<span style="color: #CC66CC">
    Wine Match
    A robust dish calls for a full-bodied red, such as the 2008 Kaiken Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina, $15. This rich wine has blackberry notes that will complement the grilled meat. Another choice is the 2008 Kangaroo Springs Shiraz, Australia, $10. Neither wine will accentuate the heat of the chilli paste.</span>

Leave a comment:

• Jazz
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SueSumba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never heard of beef bacon before </div></div>

This is the brand I use:

It tastes real good. </div></div>

I use that too or the ARNOLD brand... (watch Tulip run gaan look fe Arnold )

FYAAAAAHHHH pon trenton!

Leave a comment:

• Ja. Jewel
    replied

This recipe sounds very tasty, but has nuff spices that I think most peeps do not keep on hand, at least I don't.

An easy way to prepare salmon is to lightly oil or spray baking dish with olive oil, place slamon filets in, skin side down, squeeze on juice of one lemon, a little white wine, a little soy sauce or tamari, sprinkle with dill &amp; lemon pepper. Bake till done, 20-30 min., depending on thickness of fillets.

Leave a comment:

• sistactry
    replied

luvvv it,

luvvv anything salmon, but i use pimento seeds, and cracked pepper corn seeds,

Leave a comment:

• Tulip
    replied

That sounds really good Twiney. Looks good too. I'm not quite sure what fenugreek seeds are, but I will look for them.

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X