Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Recipe of the Day

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recipe of the Day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SueSumba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never heard of beef bacon before </div></div>

Me either....don't think I've ever seen it any of the grocers I go to...interesting (not that I eat beef)....
    http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...04/pepper2.jpg
    <span style="font-weight: bold">ONE LOVE, HEALTH, PEACE &amp; HAPPINESS</span>
    <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;free your heart from hatred...love all...give more...expect less&quot;</span>

Comment

yeah man - love it! they carry 2 brands up this side - Arnolds and Gualtney

Comment

Hmmm....I must ask my mum if she knows about beef bacon...she stopped eating pork a few years back, but I know she used to enjoy eating her bacon....
        <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;free your heart from hatred...love all...give more...expect less&quot;</span>

Comment

I can;t find a pic of the Arnold but its in a similar box except it's yellow...

It tastes just like regular bacon - it's a favorite around here for breakfast.

Comment

Jambrit there is also chicken and turkey bacon so your mom doesnt have to give up her &quot;bacon&quot;

Comment

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jamaican Okra with Shrimp and Rice</span>
              Serves 2-4

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ingredients</span>
              2 teaspoons butter or oil
              1 small yellow onion, diced
              1 green bell pepper, diced
              15 okra, sliced (if frozen, thaw and drain first)
              1 hot pepper, diced (seeded, if you don’t want it too spicy)
              2 tomatoes, diced
              1/3 cup water or white wine (if you’re using wine, serve the dish with a glass of it!)
              Juice of one large lemon
              1 pound shrimp, deveined and peeled, tail on
              Salt and pepper, to taste
              2-4 servings of long grain rice, cooked

<span style="font-weight: bold">Instructions</span>

At medium heat, melt the butter or heat the oil.
              Add the onion, green pepper, okra and hot pepper, and sautee for about five minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
              Add the remainder of the ingredients, except for the shrimp and rice, and stir.
              Cook until tomatoes are soft and then add shrimp.
              Cook until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about five minutes.
              Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.
              &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs_Ahmidis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Jamaican Okra with Shrimp and Rice</span>
                Serves 2-4

I am going to try this one. sounds good!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ingredients</span>
                2 teaspoons butter or oil
                1 small yellow onion, diced
                1 green bell pepper, diced
                15 okra, sliced (if frozen, thaw and drain first)
                1 hot pepper, diced (seeded, if you don’t want it too spicy)
                2 tomatoes, diced
                1/3 cup water or white wine (if you’re using wine, serve the dish with a glass of it!)
                Juice of one large lemon
                1 pound shrimp, deveined and peeled, tail on
                Salt and pepper, to taste
                2-4 servings of long grain rice, cooked

<span style="font-weight: bold">Instructions</span>

At medium heat, melt the butter or heat the oil.
                Add the onion, green pepper, okra and hot pepper, and sautee for about five minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
                Add the remainder of the ingredients, except for the shrimp and rice, and stir.
                Cook until tomatoes are soft and then add shrimp.
                Cook until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about five minutes.
                Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.

</div></div>

Comment

JD:

Careful with the okra...follow the instructions.
                  The other day I cooked a <span style="font-style: italic">mix-up soup thingy</span> and overdosed on okra...not good...
                  &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs_Ahmidis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JD:

Careful with the okra...follow the instructions.
                    The other day I cooked a <span style="font-style: italic">mix-up soup thingy</span> and overdosed on okra...not good... </div></div>

ok, thanks

Comment

• Re: Recipe of the Day

Cookdown (Soup) with Lentils

2 celery stalks, diced
                      2 carrots, sliced
                      1 large potato, cut into chunks
                      1/4 cup of ginger shoyu (soy sauce will do)
                      5 cups of chicken stock (or whatever you have...broth will do)
                      5 cups of water
                      3 tomatoes, cut into chunks
                      1 1/2 cups of lentils (red, brown...any kind you have)

4 cloves of garlic (more if you like)
                      2 large onions
                      2 tbs of olive oil
                      2 bay leaves
                      basil
                      oregano
                      1/2 tsp of sea salt
                      pepper

Heat the oil in a large stock pot. add all the veggies, except the tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat. Add the shoyu and stir frequently until the onions are tender. &lt;---about 5 minutes.

Add 5 cups of water, the stock, tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid askew. Add whatever you haven't at this time and simmer for an additional 30 minutes (with the lid on tight) until the lentils are soft.

FYI: I added some Kale to the pot.....

what a ting divouyne.....
                      Hurt people, hurt people.

Comment

Green mango and papaya are great in salads. I almost prefer those two fruits green as they can be sickly soft and sweet when ripe (especially papaya ).
                        <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twiney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Green Mango Salad
                        (Serves 6)

Ingredients

* 4 - 6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety
                        * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of red pepper
                        * ¼ cup (60 mL) fine julienne of carrot
                        * ¼ cup (60 mL) finely sliced wedges of red onion
                        * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
                        * ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
                        * 3 Tbsp (45 mL) fish sauce
                        * 2 - 3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
                        * 1 - 2 tsp (5-10 mL) sugar
                        * 1 small, hot, green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped

1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mangos. Peel.

2. Carefully cut off several ¼-inch (.6 cm) slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3 - 4 cups (750 - 1,000 mL) of fruit.

3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.

4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Note that the amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. Add additional lime and sugar to taste. Toss mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate. </div></div>
                        Show me your papers.
                        sigpic

Comment

going to try this one soon.

Cooking Light recipe...

Ingredients
                          Cooking spray
                          4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
                          1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
                          1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
                          5 sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, diced
                          1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
                          1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
                          3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
                          1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
                          4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed
                          2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
                          2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
                          1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
                          Preparation
                          Preheat broiler.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 2 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, tomatoes, and spinach; sauté until moisture evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses and rind.

Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each pork chop to form a pocket. Stuff about 1/4 cup spinach mixture into each pocket. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper over pork. Arrange pork on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray; place rack in pan. Combine remaining 2 garlic cloves, juice, mustard, and oregano in a bowl; stir well. Brush half of mustard mixture over pork. Broil 6 minutes; turn pork. Brush remaining mixture over pork; broil 2 minutes or until done.

Nutritional Information
                          Calories: 232 (33% from fat)
                          Fat: 8.6g (sat 3.4g,mono 3.1g,poly 0.7g)
                          Protein: 32.1g
                          Carbohydrate: 7.2g
                          Fiber: 2.8g
                          Cholesterol: 73mg
                          Iron: 2.5mg
                          Sodium: 640mg
                          Calcium: 186mg

hmm the sodium kinda high tho'

from the cheese?
                          “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

<span style="font-family: 'Courier New'"><span style="color: #000066">CB..that stuffed pork chop recipe sounds good....let me know how it turns out...better yet, take a picture and post it.... </span></span>

Comment

tek picta and poas.? no sah

it does sound good but i'm rethinking because of the high sodium and mr cb a watch him salt.

me woulda haffi mek it for me one, and me nuh feel like cook three pot (doan ask )

tanya (the other pork eater pon the board ) can mek it and tek picture fi us
                              “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

What happened? Who ran the picture lady off?

Anyway, I have not made corn maque choux in a long time but I looked at what was in the fridge and that's what was calling to me. It was so good!

Ingredients
                                * 1 small onion, chopped
                                * 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
                                * 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
                                * 3 cups frozen shoepeg corn, thawed
                                * 2 plum tomatoes, diced
                                * 1/4 pound andouille sausage, cooked and diced
                                * 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
                                * 1/4 teaspoon salt
                                * 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preparation

Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender. Add corn, tomato, and sausage; cook, stirring often, 15 minutes. Stir in green onions, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes.

I posted the recipe from here: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=258936 since I don't really measure quantities, but all the ingredients are there and they look like they are in the right proportions.
                                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X