Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Jamaican Family Relationships - What do you Call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican Family Relationships - What do you Call?

Okay Jamaican family relationships can be a tad complicated. A few months ago I met my cousin-in-law...you know the one with the locks .

But what would Bob Marley's bad bwoy grandon call Christian Tavares-Finson who is defending him? Damain Marley would be his uncle (since there is no such thing as a 1/2 uncle). What would Christian be...his uncle in law.

The concept of half brother and half sister doesn't seem to be recognized in Jamaica but it is in North America. But, what if the brother and sister don't meet until they are adults and they did not know about each others existence. Would they still be considered your brother or sister or would you call them your half brother or half sister?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I guess it depends on who you are talking to. For example amongst a close friend who is not aware that your brothr is not your mother's child you would probably say he is my half brother. I think it is a situational thing.
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

My family refers to the half siblings they grew up with as brothers and sisters and the ones they did not know about or meet until they were adults as half sisters but I call them all aunt and uncle.

I refer to all of the spouses as aunt and uncle. I refer to the Black step-children as cousins but the white ones as step-cousins.

I was chastised a by a Jamaican on here (don't recall who) for referring to Damian Marley's sister on his mother's side as a half sister.
      Last edited by Tropicana; 09-24-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

in my small circle i dont hear it being referred to as half. ppl normally jusy dem bredda or dem sister. they do tend to say things like "mi bredda by mi fadda side. or sister by modda side etc. but mi no recal hearing half except a farrin.
        Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins

Comment

The only Jamaicans I have ever heard using the term half are those who have migrated.

Comment

In America they use the term half brother which is the same thing as step-brother or step-sister. Not related to or from the same birth parent.

brother
            a person whom you are related to. sometimes a role model. sometimes an ***. sometimes a friend. a person who you are stuck being related to until the day you die through good or bad
            Last edited by SKYJUICE221; 09-25-2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

half sibling - where children share at least one parent by either birth or adoption

step-sibling - a child of a step parents who are now connected by marriage
              If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
              We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

Yes Kia that is my understanding.

Comment

brother
                  I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there.
                  Marcus Garvey

satire protected speech soo more fiyah

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X