Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Ladies, would you hold it against a many if he had a VERY strong....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies, would you hold it against a many if he had a VERY strong....

...Jamaican accent?

Before onoo jump dung mi t'roat. Mek me explain. I've interacted with this man online a number of times. He communicated clearly. While I was away over the holidays, he left me a voice mail with holiday greetings. Stumbled and got my name wrong at first a bit of a red flag. Wished me a Happy Birthday ....but my birthday is in the summer....another red flag.

Also, despite the fact that he has been away from Jamaica for a long time, his accent is VERY and I mean VERY strong.

Should this be cause for concern?
    Last edited by Tropicana; 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM.

I know this one is for the ladies but I am chiming in...Okay he forgot your birthday but at least he calls for a "birthday". On the accent...some people are more comfortable with the accent grew up with. It is a challenge to "tweng". Now on the mispronounced name..that one I will have to raise a flag...then again you guys know me an my name...I am a stickler for my name...dwl
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

Yes he kind of dug himself in deep. I guess it was Claire's birthday and he slipped and called her name. Now if I was really mischievous I would search his contacts and send belated birthday greetings to clear.

So you would give him a pass on a very strong accent after so many years? At first I thought it was one a mi cousins from up inna de ills...mi ave one from up soh dat call me from time to time and not even im sound dat bad.

Comment

Had a long talk with the gentleman and I finally had the courage to ask him about his accent. Can't really fault him for his explanation. He said that he is a proud Jamaican and doesn't see why he should have to change the way he talks. (I agree I don't think people should artificially do that either. It's just surprising that his accent didn't change organically given the amount of time he has been away from Jamaica.) Anyway he said when he first migrated to go to university, he made no effort to change his speech. He slows down if speaking with non-Jamaicans. He said if he was speaking to someone and they started to copy his accent he would have felt like they were mocking him so he was careful not to do that to others.

He said that when it comes to grammar he has anybody beat. Can't fault him fi dat...and so far, he has never dropped a single "h".

Comment

A great explanation. There are many places abroad where you don't have to lose the accent..in South Florida you don't have to because practically everyone has an accent here.

Comment

Florida has so changed. When I went to Tampa and Clearwater years ago, it was white with a sprinkling of Latino.

Comment

Tampa and Clearwater are not S Florida
              If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
              We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

When relaying my experiences, I can only reference where I have been in Florida. I've been to Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Orlando and Palm Beach. That's about it.

Comment

I tink yuh being selective. Based on yuh past history, I don't tink yuh would hav di same pronlem wid ah French, Itilian, or Spanish man's accent.
                  JA.com member #946 for LIFE!

Comment

Yes my ex has hung on to his accent. I guess I am being over cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicana View Post
                      When relaying my experiences, I can only reference where I have been in Florida. I've been to Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Orlando and Palm Beach. That's about it.
                      You have to come a little further south to the Broward (Fort Lauderdale) and Miami-Dade

Comment

Well I just might. I have some distant relatives in those parts and I am just meeting them. Is Jacksonville in that area too?

Comment

*slap forrid*

Comment

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fl...2e13d35bc74ed0
                            If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                            We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

Thanks KIA.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X