Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Pasta Dishes / Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pasta Dishes / Ideas

Okay, here are a few:

A childhood favorite Macaroni and Saltfish

You can use penne, elbow, or regular pasta. Prepare pastat according to directions on package. Boil and cook/fry/sautee(?) saltfish as you normally would (with onions, tomato, garlic, seasoned salt, black pepper, etc.). Add cooked pasta to saltfish approximately 5-7 minutes before saltfish is finished. Can be eaten as a side dish or over rice. (The ratio of pasta to saltfish is up to you.)

Fusilli with Sun-dried Tomatoes

-1 lb dried fusilli (twists)
    -dash of olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    -2 tbsp tomato pesto
    -6 oz jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped (or you can use the canned equivalent)
    -4 plum tomatoes, sliced into wedges
    -4tbsp basil (chopped fresh or prepackaged)
    -salt and black pepper

Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and add the fusilli with a dash of olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally until tender. Drain and return to the saucepan. Stir in the remaining ingredients, drizzle with olive oil and serve. Can be served warm or chilled. Serves 2-4.

Pasta Paella

-1 lb dried farfalle
    -1 tsp ground tumeric
    -dash of olive oil, plus 3 tbsp
    -2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    -1 Spanish or regular size onion
    -1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
    -1/4 lb baby carrots
    -16 baby corn
    -1/4 lb snow peas
    -1/4 fresh asparagus tips1/2 pitted black olives
    -3 level tsp flour

Bring a large saucepan of water to boil, and add the farfalle with the ground tumeric and a dash of olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally until tender. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, and set aside.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the garlic and onion for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the red pepper, carrots and corn, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the snow peas, asparagus tips, black olives and farfalle. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then sprinkle with the flour and mix it into the vegetable mixture. Cook for i minute, then gradually stir in a little less than two cups of the reserved pasta cooking liquid. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened.

I'm not an asparagus fan so I'm not crazy about including it. If you like asparagus, however, then you won't mind adding it. Enjoy.

Chow Mien

-1 package/box (regular size) spaghetti
    -Mixed vegetables (frozen or canned works fine)
    -1 Tbsp chopped onion and garlic
    -a dash of cumin
    -a dash of tumeric
    -curry powder (not too much, however; only enough -to tease the palate)
    -black pepper
    -seasoned salt
    -a dash of garlic powder
    -a dash of onion powder (all these dashes only mean that you can season to your desired taste)
    -*You may also use the chow mien powdered seasoning that's found in many West Indian food stores. I preferred not using it, but you may like it).*
    -Cooked meat of your choice (optional)

Bring spaghetti to a boil until tender. In a frying pan sautee onion and garlic until golden and tender. Next add cooked spaghetti, along with mixed vegetables and seasonings. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, then add cooked meat. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes then serve.
    boat drinks! ~ "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"

Comment

LINGUINE WITH CRAB, RADICCHIO, AND GARLIC

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
      3 shallots, finely chopped
      4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
      1 teaspoon red chile flakes
      1 cup dry white wine
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter
      1 pound linguine
      1/2 pound fresh crab meat
      1/2 head radicchio, shredded
      2 scallions, thinly sliced

Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. In a 12 to 14-inch sauté pan, heat the oil until smoking. Add the shallots, garlic, and chiles and sauté until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, then add the butter, and remove from heat. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, until just al dente, and drain.

Add the drained pasta to the pan with the wine mixture and return pan to heat. Add crab, radicchio, and scallion and toss until radicchio is wilted, about 1 minute. Pour into a warm serving bowl and serve. Yield: 4 servings

Comment

PENNE WITH SPICY VODKA TOMATO CREAM SAUCE

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
        4 cloves garlic, minced
        1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
        1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
        3/4 teaspoon salt
        1 pound penne pasta, cooked and drained
        2 tablespoons vodka
        1/2 cup heavy cream
        1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
        2 medium Italian sausages

1. In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Remove casing from sausage and add to skillet. Cook, breaking up the meat, until brown. Add garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring until garlic is golden brown.

2. Add tomatoes and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Add vodka and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, toss for 1 minute. Stir in fresh parsley and serve! Serves 4.

Comment

Hoisin Chicken with Noodles

Serves 4

4 chicken breast fillets (skin on)
          1 tablespoon peanut oil
          2/3 cup hoisin sauce
          2 tablespoons Golden soy sauce
          6 spring onions, finely sliced
          140g round egg noodles

Brush chicken with a little oil and cook in a hot fry pan for 5 minutes each side until the chicken is cooked through. Add the sauces to the pan and toss to coat the chicken. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain noodles and serve topped with sliced chicken and spring onion.

Comment

Thai Beef Noodle Salad

serves 6

500g beef fillet
            vegetable oil
            140g round egg noodles
            2 cups mesclun mix
            2 tablespoons each of chopped fresh basil and fresh coriander
            1/2 red onion, diced
            1/2 English cucumber, cut into chunks
            1/2 cup roasted blanched peanuts, chopped

Dressing:
            2 tablespoons fish sauce
            1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
            1 tablespoon golden soy sauce
            1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
            2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
            2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves

Brush the fillet with oil and cook in a hot pan for approximately 5 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, drain and then run under cold water to cool. Combine beef, mesclun, basil, coriander, red onion, cucumber and noodles in a bowl or platter. Drizzle with combined dressing ingredients and top with chopped peanuts.

Comment

Chili Prawns with Spaghetti and Rocket (Arugula)

Serves 6 as a starter

18 king prawns
              1 tablespoon chili oil
              300g dried spaghetti
              lemon infused oil
              rocket (arugula)

Peel and de-vein prawns leaving the tail intact. Place in a small bowl with chili oil. Cook spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente – approx 6-8 minutes. Drain spaghetti and return to saucepan – toss with a generous drizzle of lemon infused oil. Heat a fry pan over a high heat and when hot quickly cook prawns until pink and then remove from heat. Toss pasta with rocket and arrange a twist of pasta on plates, top with prawns and a sprinkle of sea salt.

Comment

Cheese And Tomato Fusilli

12 oz fusilli
                1/4 c olive oil
                1 bunch of scallions, chopped
                1 clove garlic, finely chopped
                salt and freshly ground pepper
                8 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
                5 oz mozzarella cheese, diced
                1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
                1 small bunch of basil leaves
                12 pitted black olives, halved

Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water as directed on package, until just tender. Drain. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan. Add scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 or 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

Add pasta, salt and pepper to the scallion mixture. Add tomatoes and stir over low heat, to warm through. Stir in cheeses. Coarsely tear basil leaves in halves or thirds, add to pasta with olives and serve immediately.

Comment

Spinach Tagliatelle

10 oz spinach
                  2 tbsp olive oil
                  1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
                  2/3 c whipping cream
                  1/2 c cream cheese
                  1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
                  salt and freshly ground pepper
                  12 oz tagliatelle

Wash and dry spinach and chop very finely. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic. Add spinach to pan and cook, stirring, 2 or 3 minutes or until wilted and tender. Put whipping cream, cheese, salt and pepper into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Meanwhile, cook tagliatelle in a large pan of boiling salted water as directed on package, until just tender. Drain pasta, reserving cooking water. Add enough of cooking liquid to cream sauce to give a smooth pouring consistency.

Comment

Queen, here is a favoriate of mine, as well as a link to a similiar thread some time back:

Pasta with Pumpkin and Basil

1 Lb. Bow tie pasta
                    1 Lg. garlic clove, chopped
                    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
                    1/4 canned pumpkin
                    1 stick unsalted butter @ room temp.
                    1/2 tsp. salt
                    1/8 tsp. nutmeg
                    1/4 freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
                    1/2 cup fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
                    lots of fresh ground pepper

Combine garlic, red pepper, pumpkin, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese in pasta serving bowl. Set aside to warm to room temp. or place a heatproof bowl over pasta pot to warm the ingredients and melt the butter while heating the water. Once water boils, remove bowl and set aside.

Cook pasta in large pot, drain well and immediately add to sauce in bowl. Sprinkle w/basil and toss. Serve immediately w/extra cheese. Serves 4 - 6.

pasta recipes in archives
                    Support living artists. The dead ones don't need it!

Comment

Originally posted by Queen:
                      [qb] Pepper, I found this recipe for you; it looks good, I guess you can substitute the spinach for callaloo? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/qb]
                      Spinach for callaloo? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks, but maybe I will try the pumkin one GB posted.
                      7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Comment

queen dis is a "pasta idea" me discova when there was no rice fe mi curry chicken, me boil some pasta instead..taste good together [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        ''to learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.''
                        Voltaire

Comment

Mangoskin..a true ting dat. Mi do dat arredy.

Dis one mi call di Rasta Pasta: Boiled Macaroni and add some mixed veggie with some mayo and parmesan cheese. Yum yum!!!
                          "I may be silent, but I'm thinking. I may not talk, but don't mistake me for a wall."

Comment

Originally posted by Pepper:
                            [qb]
                            Originally posted by Queen:
                            [qb] Pepper, I found this recipe for you; it looks good, I guess you can substitute the spinach for callaloo? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/qb]
                            Spinach for callaloo? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks, but maybe I will try the pumkin one GB posted. [/qb]
                            Hey, didn't you say You wanted a recipe with some Jamaican vegetables? o/ wha wrang wid dis ooman.

Anyway, thanks so much for the recipes guys, I made the Pasta Neopolitan Vjay posted and it was mmm...mmm...good; my recipe book now has all these additions ( on sticky paper [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I'm really looking forward to trying Ephra's saltfish dish; I'll use penne pasta though because I don't care too much for macaroni (and sometimes sphagetti)

Thanks guys, and i'll check the archives as well. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Mangoskin/Churchie, I tried that already, can't remember what kind of chicken it was, i think it was jerk chicken; that was one spicy pasta dinnner.....that I remember well [img]/forums/images/graemlins/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

Rasta Pasta, i think I gwine use that term when mi tek mi han mek fashion next time [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X