Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

What can you cook on the grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can you cook on the grill?

transferring to ackee and Saltfish
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...sop/Sweets.gif

Comment

Shellfish Preparation

When purchasing oysters, clams or mussels, don't choose those with open or dry shells or those that feel light in weight. These indicate that they are dead mollusks.

Before preparing shellfish, make sure to wash it thoroughly. This will not only clean the shellfish, but it will also give it a better taste. For best results, thoroughly scrub mussels, clams or oysters under cold water.

To easily clean shrimp, remove the legs first. The shell should come right off after that. Slice down the vein with a paring knife, and the vein will come out in one piece.

When using skewers to cook shrimp, thread them five at a time on two skewers in an X pattern. This will keep them juicy and make them easy to turn without losing any to the bottom of the grill.

To easily remove sand from clams, add cornmeal to the water in which you soak them. The clam will try to expel the cornmeal, and the sand will be expelled along with it.

To easily shuck oysters and clams, cover in ice just prior to shucking.

When storing live oysters, clams or mussels, place them in a shallow bowl with a wet paper towel over it. Always store in the refrigerator before use.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Grilled Pineapple Dessert
        1 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch thick slices
        3/4 cup tequila
        3/4 cup brown sugar
        1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mix tequila, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together until sugar is dissolved. Preheat Grill. Place pineapple on grill (You could put the pieces on skewers to make grilling easier). Baste with tequila mixture while grilling. Turn occasionally. Grill about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

Grilled peaches are very nice too!

Comment

Here's another fun idea for the grill.

Grilled Pizza

Ingredients
          2 loaves of frozen bread dough, thawed
          olive oil
          1 jar of pizza sauce or barbecue sauce

Seasonings Suggestions:
          fresh chopped garlic, fresh basil and dry herbs

Topping Suggestions:
          grilled vegetables, pineapple, shredded ham, or tomatoes

Cheese Suggestions:
          shredded mozzarella, Provolone, Monterey Jack, Feta, or Parmesan

Directions
          Divide each loaf of bread dough in to 4 balls. Roll dough on corn meal or floured surface and pat out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness to make small circles. Brush each circle with oil.

Place dough circles on a medium grill; grill uncovered until dough starts to bubble in spots on top and bottom is lightly browned. Turn and do the same with the other side. Remove rounds from grill.

Brush each crust with sauce and top with your favorite topping and herbs. Top with cheese and put back on the grill; cover and grill about 5 minutes until cheese melts, the bottom of the crust is crisp and the crust looks done.

Comment

I've never tried this, but just for fun:

The World's First-Ever Barbecued Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 standard sized pound cake, frozen
            1-2 pints of your favorite, high quality ice cream, frozen hard
            6 egg whites
            1 teaspoon cream of tartar
            cup white sugar
            Sauce (see recipe below)
            Supplies:

1 pine plank, 6 inches long by 6 inches wide by 2 inches thick, well soaked in plain water
            aluminum foil to wrap wet pine plank
            two standard bricks
            standard kettle-type covered cooker
            Sauce:
            Simmer 2 cups of cranberries with enough sugar to taste, along with a squeeze of orange juice and a cinnamon stick, until the berries burst and the mixture is thick. Let cool, than mash through a strainer. If sauce seems too thin, cook with more sugar until it's a nice thick syrup. Keep in refrigerator in a clean covered jar for up to a week. Keep the mashed berries to use as a jam, as noted in the instructions.

Preparation:

Get a good hot fire (500 degrees plus) going in a kettle grill. We use pure lump charcoal, and bank it to either side of the cooker, leaving the middle open. Don't use the cooking grill. Put a brick at each end of the middle section.
            Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar into a stiff meringue.
            Working quickly but calmly, wrap the wet plank in the foil. Cut a horizontal slice of the frozen pound cake, and lay it on the foil. Spread the cake with a thin layer of cranberry jam (NOT the sauce).
            Place your ice cream over the cake and jam. You can make the job easier by molding the ice cream into a shape that will fit on the cake, before you freeze the ice cream hard.
            Cover the cake and ice cream with the meringue. Be sure to bring the meringue all the way down to the foil-covered plank. Make some pretty swirls and peaks. Sprinkle lightly with a little sugar.
            Balance the plank on the bricks, and cover the cooker. Shine a flashlight through the vent holes to watch until the meringue browns. This will only take a few minutes with a very hot fire.
            Remove from the cooker, and slide the covered cake off of the plank and onto a serving platter onto which you have spooned a generous pool of sauce.
            Bow deeply to your guests' grateful applause.
            Variations:
            You can do just about anything you want with this one. How about substituting chocolate fudge brownie for the pound cake, with strawberry ice cream and sauce? Or use rich caramel instead of cranberry jam. Or how about sliced bananas tossed with lemon juice instead of the cranberry jam?

Comment

Anything, except for nuclear bombs, bullets and any explosive items. I have a recipe for Pizza and pound cake.
              Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act. M. F. K. Fisher (2003)

Comment

Before preparing shellfish, make sure to wash it thoroughly. This will not only clean the shellfish, but it will also give it a better taste. For best results, thoroughly scrub mussels, clams or oysters under cold water.
                scrub the shell, ok. now do i try to open it and what [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] . will the cornmeal get all the dirt/sand out? I want no dirt/sand
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Originally posted by championgal262:
                  [qb]
                  scrub the shell, ok. now do i try to open it and what [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] . will the cornmeal get all the dirt/sand out? I want no dirt/sand [/qb]
                  No, you do not try to open the shell unless you are going to serve on the half-shell, let the shellfish sit in water with the cornmeal and they will clean themselves.

"To easily remove sand from clams, add cornmeal to the water in which you soak them. The clam will try to expel the cornmeal, and the sand will be expelled along with it."

Comment

cool thank you. fine corn meal or course cornmeal?
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Originally posted by VJay:
                      [qb] Grilled Pineapple Dessert
                      3/4 cup tequila
                      3/4 cup brown sugar

Mix tequila, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together until sugar is dissolved. Preheat Grill. Place pineapple on grill (You could put the pieces on skewers to make grilling easier). Baste with tequila mixture while grilling. Turn occasionally. Grill about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

Grilled peaches are very nice too! [/qb]
                      rum can do instead a tequila?
                      [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      ''to learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.''
                      Voltaire

Comment

I think rum would be even better!!

Comment

Remember: It's not just what you grill (ie: steaks, chicken, etc.) but how you do it that staves off boredom!

For example, I've eaten steaks, prok chops, or chicken breasts every day (for supper) for the past three weeks, now... BUT, to alleviate boredom for Mr Witchy and me, I've made a different rub/mop and matching BBQ sauce each day.
                          standard Alabama BBQ mop & sauce
                          Memphis rub & BBQ sauce
                          North Carolina sweet BBQ mop & sauce
                          Alabama White BBQ sauce
                          North Georgia-style BBQ 'dry mop' & sauce

just to name a few, off the cuff...

Best of all: they're ALL Atkins-friendly! I've either found low-carb versions of these recipes or re-worked standard recipes myself to "Atkinize" them.

If I'm doing REAL BBQ (slow-smoked), then I use a rub, mop and finishing sauce. If' I'm just fast-grilling them on the 'cue then I usually use only a rub and some finishing sauce.

I won't be smoking food until ((I hope) this weekend, though, coz I just this afternoon bought a new smoker and Mr Witchy has to put it together for me. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The old smoker needs to go to a good home where it'll be better appreciated: It's fine for a first-time smoker, for a first-time smoker owner... but not suitable for a heavy user like us.

I need a BIG smoker, as (1) everybody in the neighborhood may be found on MY back proch using it if they're not at their own houses, and (2) we have housemates (a couple & dear friends) who are moving in shortly, who will live here for the forseeable future.

My new smoker will now easily accomodate the few dozen households who regularly use it... It has four shelves that can handle a whole ham (or anything else that large) on each, and four more shelves that can handle the same "footprint" size of shorter food items (chicken, steaks, fish, veggies, etc.) -- all at once. The only drawback to communal use is that we all have to agree upon whichever wood chips we use at any single given time. So far, that's been determined by whomever rises and starts first ... unless *I* leave a note taped to it specifing what chips I must use that day, and then I must leave them out there.

Everyone gives me money for wood chips, propane gas to keep the tanks filled, and everyone cleans it. I haven't yet had to clean it, myself, ever since last summer, when everyone of my neighbors started to use it. (Well, I SHOULD say that MR WITCHY hasn't had to clean it, as that's HIS job: cleaning the smoker and grill, the ov en and stovetop. I can't breathe oven cleaner fumes without having to be rushed to the hospital E.R. with a severe asthma attack.)

We're pretty good like that in my neighborhood: We tend to share our outdoor stuff happily. No one actually BUYS any outdoor furniture or grills, smokers, turkey deep fryers, etc. We all let each other haul off out items to their yards for special occasions & parties, and it's always returned in pristine condition and in timely fashion.
                          Not to bad for so 'urban' an area as Orange, NJ, eh? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (This only is so & works in the south side of town, over in the Seven Oaks area, where I live, though -- not on the north end of the city! )

Comment

I love grillin' vegetables; I cut a red, an orange, and a yellow bell pepper into sixths, and slice a small zucchini and a small yellow squash and an eggplant thickly, and if I can get a good tomato I slice that thick. The eggplant gets the usual salt treatment. You just oil 'em up and add a little salt and black pepper - sometimes a little Italian seasoning is nice. The peppers go on the grill first, then the squashes, then the eggplant and last the tomato. We eat that all summer long.

Pineapple is also great to grill. So's corn. Soak the corn in water for an hour or so first, for scorchproofing. I also slice a sweet potato, oil the slices, and grill that; works great. Or big potatoes! You oil them and give them a coat of kosher salt (big crystals); grill and be happy.
                            Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. I'm not surprised that you agree.

Comment

Originally posted by VJay:
                              [qb] Grilled Pineapple Dessert
                              3/4 cup tequila
                              3/4 cup brown sugar

Grilled peaches are very nice too! [/qb]
                              I'm going to try this one ASAP. Probably try it with tequila and VX and Ortanique at different times. Ooooh, summer just got a little tastier.
                              Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. I'm not surprised that you agree.

Comment

Is this receipe for the seven up pound cake?
                                spill is a it!
                                The race is not for the strong or for the swift, but for those who shall endure to the end. In all things, live Christ....

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X