Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Seveen - INDIAN FOOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indian Food - Yummy

seveen, what's that red beefy thing? mi nevva wan interrogate di people dem a di indian place yessideh an nah buy nott'n [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    When Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's *art* and *music* - when I do it I'm *wasted* and *have to leave the hardware store*.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      seveen, what's that red beefy thing? mi nevva wan interrogate di people dem a di indian place yessideh an nah buy nott'n [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

suesumba - the indians i work with doubt that the red thing is "beefy" because most of them don't eat cows (remember)so you may have to ask in the restaurant - i'm sure they won't mind - folks are always interested when you're interested in THEM

Comment

Seveen... thanks so much! I will for sure try that first veggie one and the eggplant one too [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One question though... when you say 1/2lb Potatoes, that doesn't sound like many potatoes to me, can you give me a guess on how many, say medium size potatoes I should use? And, do I use just regular white potatoes, so some other kind like yukon gold or sweet potatoes, etc?

Many thanks!
        RG

Comment

Re: Seveen - INDIAN FOOD

[ QUOTE ]
          yeah...teach how to make "Doubles."

[/ QUOTE ]

here yuh go monk, its real easy, is basically just curried chick peas. only hard part is the breads - my trini-Indian friends tell me the trick with Indian food is in the bread.
          There's roti of course, and theres a million other kinds too. "Doubles" gets its name cause yuh use two pieces of 'bara' (the bread you wrap the channa in; is kind of like a 'bake' , but smaller, lighter, and fried). it makes a double wrapper to hold the messy (but delectable) channa....

Doubles

This is a Trinidadian favorite for breakfast and is very very hearty, savoury and satisfying. Doubles consists of curried channa (chick peas) between two Baras (a type of bread).

Dough for Bara

2 cups flour
          ½ tsp. Salt
          1 tsp. Saffron powder
          ½ tsp. Ground cumin (geera)
          1 tsp yeast
          1/3-cup warm water
          ¼ tsp. Sugar
          Oil for frying
          Additional water

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, saffron and cumin (geera). Put aside.

In another bowl place warm water, sugar and yeast. Let sit for about 5 min. until the yeast and sugar are dissolved.

Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture with enough water to make slightly firm dough. Mix well.

Cover and let rise for about 1-½ hours. Punch the dough down and let it sit for another 10 – 15 min.

To shape Bara, take about 1 tbsp of dough, pat with both hands to flatten to a 5” circle. If dough sticks to hands, moisten fingers and palms with some water.

Fry in hot oil, turning once until cooked. Remove and drain on a paper towel.

Channa Filling

½ lb dried channa (chick peas) soaked overnight
          1 ½ tbsp. Curry powder
          3 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
          1 onion (sliced)
          Salt to taste
          Hot pepper to taste
          1 tbsp. Corn oil
          Pinch of ground geera (cumin powder)
          Pepper Sauce (to taste)

Boil soaked channa (chick peas) with salt and ½ tbsp curry powder until channa is tender. Drain.

Mix 1 tbsp curry powder with ¼ cup water.
          (I retain & use some of the water the channa cooked in, makes for a nicer thicker gravy)

Heat oil in a large skillet and add the garlic, onion, and curry powder mixture. Sauté for a few minutes til onions are soft.

Add the channa & stir to coat well with the curry mixture. Saute cook for about 6-8 min to blend seasonings.

Add 1-cup water, geera (cumin), salt, and pepper.

Cover, lower heat and let simmer until the peas are very soft and moist, but not mushy. Add more salt if needed, and add water if needed to keep a nice gravy goin as the channa cooks down soft.

Finishing – Putting the two together

Put a few tbsp. cooked channa on a bara; cover with another bara, and wrap them in half around one another.

you can also add hot peppa sauce, and mango or tamarind chutney, before putting the second Bara on top.

~ ~ ~ ~ Enjoy! ~ ~ ~ ~

And just make sure you have plenny napkins on hand cause you aggoh need dem!
          Fear is the lock, and laughter the key to your heart.

Comment

Re: Seveen - INDIAN FOOD

thanks sis...

it was nice to get these at all the street stands...
            a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X