Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Does God have a language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does God have a language?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey 40...are you a fan of NPR by any chance?

there is going to be a show on languages that are on the verge of extinction which I thought you would find fascinating.

also found this on the site:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14537549
    </div></div>
    I am a fan of NPR, but I missed this story... thanks.

There is a wonderful novel called Riddley Walker written by Russel Hoban. It's a post Apocalypse novel, and Mr. Hoban makes up a new language that the reader must get their head around. link
    Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

Comment

it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed...
      a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

Comment

That stuff blows me away. I recall a documentary about elephants where an elephant comes across the skeleton of another elephant, that he knew, that has been slaughtered for it's tusks. The elephant carefully gathered the scattered bones and brought them together.

To me that video said so much about memory, and conversation in the mind of the elephant. Googleing around I found this little reference... http://www.elephantfriends.org/mind.html
        Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed... </div></div>

What about dolphins?
          Chimps?
          Whales?
          http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...allery/key.jpg

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's kind of weird isn't it, I was watching this show on elephants yesterday, and they apparently have a language of sorts as well...somehow a group of elephants must have all sort of agreed if you will, that this one tonal rumble meant let's go find water, or...here is a tree with nuts, began mimicking each other and I guess that is how it is set...and then passed down through the clans.

Even how they communicated one to another to rescue a calf from a mud pit, they both worked in tandem and systematically, while another dug a ramp out of the pit for the calf once he was freed... </div></div>

What about dolphins?
            Chimps?
            Whales?
            </div></div>

My friend has a parrot. It has a vocab of over 400 words at least. I would swear it's speaking is NOT random, nor simply mimicking.

I alway thought it would be cool to be able to sign language with an ape. That must be insane.
            a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X