Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Does God have a language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• franksterr
    replied
    Re: Does God have a language?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: f0rTyLeGz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: franksterr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on how you define intelligence? </div></div>
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spelled Pronunciation [in-tel-i-juhns] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
    2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
    3. the faculty of understanding.
    4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
    5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.
    6. Government.
    a. information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
    b. the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
    c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
    7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
    8. Christian Science. a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
    9. (often initial capital letter) an intelligent being or spirit, esp. an incorporeal one, as an angel.
    Origin:
    1350–1400; ME &lt; L intelligentia. See intelligent, -ence
    </div></div>
    Perhaps Im mistaken, but it seems that all of these definitions of intelligence would require words? The Christian god speaks to Adam and Eve. So, that god does have words. Can we speculate about how the Christian god got words? He is omniscient, and omnipotent, omnipresent. I'm wondering how any being could get words independently of a culture?

Adam and Eve for example were created as walking talking people. There is no infancy, no culture to inherit a language from in their story. I think that is impossible because a language is a cultural expression, and not a thing that people have like a head and hands. </div></div>

One does not need words in order to communicate or design. According to Judaism and its many off shoots God did have companions in the form of angels or some similiar beings. So there is the possibility that culture existed pre-Adam in Heaven.

Leave a comment:

• Sofisa
    replied

I would say from where we stay, he is mute, but his action / creation speaks to us loudly enuff. Still some ppl have taken it upon themeselves to translate the silence and act as his mouthpiece.

Leave a comment:

• f0rTyLeGz
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: franksterr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on how you define intelligence? </div></div>
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spelled Pronunciation [in-tel-i-juhns] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
    2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
    3. the faculty of understanding.
    4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
    5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.
    6. Government.
    a. information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
    b. the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
    c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
    7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
    8. Christian Science. a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
    9. (often initial capital letter) an intelligent being or spirit, esp. an incorporeal one, as an angel.
    Origin:
    1350–1400; ME &lt; L intelligentia. See intelligent, -ence
    </div></div>
    Perhaps Im mistaken, but it seems that all of these definitions of intelligence would require words? The Christian god speaks to Adam and Eve. So, that god does have words. Can we speculate about how the Christian god got words? He is omniscient, and omnipotent, omnipresent. I'm wondering how any being could get words independently of a culture?

Adam and Eve for example were created as walking talking people. There is no infancy, no culture to inherit a language from in their story. I think that is impossible because a language is a cultural expression, and not a thing that people have like a head and hands.

Leave a comment:

• franksterr
    replied

It depends on how you define intelligence?

Leave a comment:

• f0rTyLeGz
    started a topic Does God have a language?

Does God have a language?

What can we say about an intelligent designer (or a god who created us)? We can't say that the designer had to have a head and arms, and an opposing thumb, but we can say that a designer needed words... can't we? No being can design without words. Well, not unless all of this is the creation of a designed robot. But whoever designed the first designing robot had to have a language I would suggest.

A language must be learned from others. Languages evolve, and an intelligent designer of our world would have to be the product of a language more sophisticated than ours is at this time.

Is it logical to give an intelligent designer these attributes? Could an intelligent designer be intelligent without language?

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X