Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Lenten Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenten Fast

The church is actually advocating that adults Do something for lent, like volunteering for charity, visiting the sick,helping out someone etc. I think I am going to do that instead of giving up anything.
    Psalm 27: The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

Comment

You beat me to it.

I usually do something for Lent as well, rather than give up something.
      a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

Comment

wat, is one thing oonu do througout lent, or is a series of different things? oonu know already what oonu gwine do?
        <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Comment

I made the call today and told them I wanted to volunteer for the food pantry program that collects the food from parishoners that is given to the food bank. In addition to volunteering I will also donate food to the cause.

Comment

good stuff, SMY. when mi get back mi senses after a few days of the fast mi might try to do some community work as well.

Comment

I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me.
              7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Comment

If you are already disciplined
                and in the habit of meditating
                <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> looking inwardly
                in order to become a better person
                using the guidelines of the Bible,
                then maybe you would only need
                to do this out of respect
                for the meaning of the season.

However, there are many folks who need
                to be assisted
                in achieving some of these spiritual goals
                and the Lenten fast
                is
                but one way of doing so.
                &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

Comment

but which believer ever arrives at the point where they<span style="font-weight: bold"> dont need</span> assistance to achieve certain spiritual goals?

if a person who <span style="font-weight: bold">says they believe </span>says that they have &quot;arrived&quot; well.........
                  And he will slay any Dragon for me <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

i'm like you - didn't grow up wth the idea of lent and &quot;giving up&quot; something for lent. i got into it as an adult, after reading about spirituality and ascetism, and also being around muslims who fast for ramadan.

five years ago i read a catholic website that talked about the spiritual rewards of fasting - essentially, understanding what it means to be deprived, that for many of us going without food is not a choice. it also talked about fasting as a way of assessing what role food plays in your life, and for someone like me where food is a substitute for a lot of things, it gave me pause. i tried it for that year, and ended up staying vegetarian for 2 years after.

i don't do lent every year but i think i need the rigor this year.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs_Ahmidis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
                      However, there are many folks who need
                      to be assisted
                      in achieving some of these spiritual goals
                      and the Lenten fast
                      is
                      but one way of doing so. </div></div>

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

i'm like you - didn't grow up wth the idea of lent and &quot;giving up&quot; something for lent. i got into it as an adult, after reading about spirituality and ascetism, and also being around muslims who fast for ramadan.

five years ago i read a catholic website that talked about the spiritual rewards of fasting - essentially, understanding what it means to be deprived, that for many of us going without food is not a choice. it also talked about fasting as a way of assessing what role food plays in your life, and for someone like me where food is a substitute for a lot of things, it gave me pause. i tried it for that year, and ended up staying vegetarian for 2 years after.

i don't do lent every year but i think i need the rigor this year. </div></div>

MGee, you point is well taken. It seems like a simple thing to say don't eat meat on Fridays, and you think big deal, what kind of sacrifice is that? Until Friday roles around and you wake up and take out piece of ham/bacon, and you are like oh yeah, can't eat that, for lunch everyone want to go get burgers, or the salads have ham/turkey the list goes on and on into dinner and then with each time you have to say &quot;no I can't eat that&quot; it gives you pause because it has become something you actually have to think about, its not easy to just grab something anymore and it leads to bigger revalations, what else in my life am I so unconciously tied to? As with anything you take for granted you don't realize its impact until you are without it.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
                          but which believer ever arrives at the point where they<span style="font-weight: bold"> dont need</span> assistance to achieve certain spiritual goals?

if a person who <span style="font-weight: bold">says they believe </span>says that they have &quot;arrived&quot; well......... </div></div>

All need to respect the season
                          in whichever respectful way they choose to do so
                          but some need more help than others
                          depending on the stage they are at
                          on the journey...
                          &quot;&quot;Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt&quot; (Col. 4:6).

Comment

I understand what you are saying
                            my point is that no matter where you are on your journey
                            we are never without need of help
                            and to feel otherwise is a disservice to your self
                            and limits your growth ultimately
                            And he will slay any Dragon for me <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seemiyah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it leads to bigger revalations, what else in my life am I so unconciously tied to? As with anything you take for granted you don't realize its impact until you are without it. </div></div>

so true, SMY. i've been a bit shamed by how i've abused the privilege i have of being able buy and eat anything i want. my relatively poor health testifies to that.

one revelation that's come early to me is that i eat to avoid doing things, to fill time psychically. i'm now a bit atremble at the amount of things i've put off that i need to DEAL with. and funny thing, i'm going to try to deal with them as a way of taking my mind off my hunger pangs. it feels petty but at the same time momentous.

Comment

that's why me like u..u so deep

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X