Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Lenten Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seemiyah
    replied
    Re: Lenten Fast

Hey MGee, I would think that it would be hard being around others eating, but I guess its all part of the sacrifice. Since I am not fasting (only the no meat Friday), I don't have any good tips for you, maybe those who are will come along with some. I would think you have to find a distraction, praying, reading, listening to music etc.

Yesterday at church we had a luncheon and invited a parishioner and he said since he fasted during the days of Lent he would pass on the offer, I guess when it can be avoided you can excuse yourself from those events? I use to have several co-workers who observed Ramadan and you didn't know unless you offered them something to eat and they declined, but they were surrounded by everyone else eating all the time. I don't know what my point is, I think I am saying it takes practice.

As you can see in my signature the Psalm I enjoy the most is Psalm 27.

Leave a comment:

• mountaingal
    replied

am having some trouble with meditation. would appreciate some assistance/sharing from others who practice it - when you do it, what it consists of, etc. if anyone has any biblical passages to share, could they be from psalms, please and thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mountaingal
    replied

o dang - looks like something happened. sorry i missed it because i always think even in the midst of a vigorous debate that may seem tangential, we may learn something about the original topic.

(((SMY))) - i'm taking to heart your 3rd point. i have noticed that i'm spending less. i was thinking of donating the cost of the coffees i've given up to homeless folks on the street, but am ashamed to say i haven't done that. i'll start putting aside that money starting this week, and donate it at the end of Lent.

i've really struggled this second week of my fast. partly because i've been in a number of meetings where food has been present, and also because of social activities.

also, i've started to crave food before bedtime again. i'm starting to think that i'm fighting an addiction.

i need to really pull myself up this week.

Leave a comment:

• seemiyah
    replied

So I went to church yesterday and the homily was on the Lenten Fast, how appropriate . So the priest says there are several reasons to fast and he was going to give us 4 of them. Now I am trying to remember them which is bad but what I remember is:

1. Fasting expands your compassion - Think we touched on that in the discussion here. The hunger you feel while fasting is completely voluntary so you become more aware of those for whom it is not, the hungry and poor in society, which should inspire you to reach out and help.

2. Man does not live by bread alone - fasting reminds us that material things are not the way to God and that we need to focus on our relationship with God and not physical comfort.

3. Fasting should benefit someone else - If you are making a sacrifice fasting you should be spending less money or have some sort of surplus of food etc. At the end of the period that should be donated to charity for the betterment of others.

4. Fasting and prayer - Ok I missed out this part but I think he said about when facing difficult decisions fasting and prayer gives clarity and something........

Leave a comment:

• Compry
    replied

Hello Tilly

I removed the posts that were not relevant to the subject of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Shine_Eye_Girl
    replied

Maybe leaving will allow those who are misunderstood a chance to review and approach the conversation?

Just a thought....hi comps

Leave a comment:

• Compry
    replied

I am going to lock this for a while and remove all posts not pertaining to the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Nylah
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seemiyah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is how I read it too, general speaking. The &quot;you&quot; in Nylah's comments was not directed to the poster because she was originally responding to Mrs. Ahmidis post that some &quot;folks&quot; are on a journey and need Lent to focus and the point I got from Nylah's subsequent posts was that ALL people who are believers should be on a continuous journey nobody should say they have arrived. It wasn't specific to anyone. This is a misunderstanding. Let us move on and continue the discussion. </div></div>

seemiyah

but I am done with this.

I wish you all a good discussion

Leave a comment:

• seemiyah
    replied

That is how I read it too, general speaking. The &quot;you&quot; in Nylah's comments was not directed to the poster because she was originally responding to Mrs. Ahmidis post that some &quot;folks&quot; are on a journey and need Lent to focus and the point I got from Nylah's subsequent posts was that ALL people who are believers should be on a continuous journey nobody should say they have arrived. It wasn't specific to anyone. This is a misunderstanding. Let us move on and continue the discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Shine_Eye_Girl
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

Same here....I's still trying to wrap my head around the significance.....

Leave a comment:

• mountaingal
    replied

CB

Leave a comment:

• CeaBee
    replied

that's why me like u..u so deep

Leave a comment:

• mountaingal
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seemiyah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it leads to bigger revalations, what else in my life am I so unconciously tied to? As with anything you take for granted you don't realize its impact until you are without it. </div></div>

so true, SMY. i've been a bit shamed by how i've abused the privilege i have of being able buy and eat anything i want. my relatively poor health testifies to that.

one revelation that's come early to me is that i eat to avoid doing things, to fill time psychically. i'm now a bit atremble at the amount of things i've put off that i need to DEAL with. and funny thing, i'm going to try to deal with them as a way of taking my mind off my hunger pangs. it feels petty but at the same time momentous.

Leave a comment:

• Nylah
    replied

I understand what you are saying
    my point is that no matter where you are on your journey
    we are never without need of help
    and to feel otherwise is a disservice to your self
    and limits your growth ultimately

Leave a comment:

• Yvonne N.
    replied

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    but which believer ever arrives at the point where they<span style="font-weight: bold"> dont need</span> assistance to achieve certain spiritual goals?

if a person who <span style="font-weight: bold">says they believe </span>says that they have &quot;arrived&quot; well......... </div></div>

All need to respect the season
    in whichever respectful way they choose to do so
    but some need more help than others
    depending on the stage they are at
    on the journey...

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X