Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/2007

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/2007

US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown will be a guest in this forum on October 25th, 2007 from 11 am - 4 PM. Post your US immigration related questions here and Ms Brown will respond to them during that time.
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Re: Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/2007

...During a visit to Jamaica 2 yrs ago we became friends with an average struggling family and have kept in constant contact since. They have 3 children. The "wife" procured a temporary job in a Florida "island" resort last year through a "recruitment program" she signed up for 3 years ago. She earns, after living expenses are deducted, what amounts to $150 a month which is deposited directly to an account in Jamaica.

The "husband" last summer requested that I send a letter from a lawyer, extending an "invitation to visit" us here, to the Jamaican consulate(?), and then he would handle what would be required of him, to get here.

I talked to my lawyer and he told me it wasn't that simple, and it would take a lot of time and money to make that happen.

I've also read news reports recently that substantiate this...and that it's not purely a matter of money given the current political uproar about illegal immigrants, quotas, etc.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> So here is my question:</span> Obviously, what my friend really wants to do is relocate. I know I could get him a job tomorrow. What would you suggest I tell him, or do specifically ? (all I have now is "hearsay") I would love to have them here, and regularly send them money as is.
    Yeah, but i didn't know what i didn't know.

Comment

If I overstayed on my last visa and am married to a Jamaican (I'm American),(didn't have my paperwork from Kingston done yet the last trip I made), but plan to get it before I go back to US, can immigration officials do anything to me?

I did have my marriage license and tax papers from property I own here when I came last trip but didn't seem to matter to the official I was dealing with.
      Jamaica...NOTHING is as it seems.
      j&#97;&#109;a&#105;&#99;a&#46;&#106;e&#119;&#101;l &#64;&#121;a&#104;&#111;o&#46;&#99;o&#109;

Comment

Is it better to married in Jamaica or file for fiance visa; which is easier and how long is it either way ?
        &quot;Faith Is Taking the First Step,
        Even When You Don't See the
        Whole Staircase.&quot;
        - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So glad to see Nadine Brown back to answer questions. Last time you had great info, so thank you.

My question is how can someone in Jamaica check on the status of their filing if they do not have a filing #. My friend in Ja married an American woman 4/06, and she said she filed. He never heard anything from the embassy, and she came back for a visit 4/07, but did not see him. Wifey claims she filed for him 1/07 (not sure why she waited so long), but his auntie in the states talked to a family memeber who says she never filed. He sent money to her b/c now she wants a divorce, but she did not file that either. He is not sure how to check his status since she will not give him the filing #. Now he is frustrated and trying to get a lawyer in Ja to handle the divorce b/c he doesn't want to stay w/ her when she just takes his money, doesn't file, and never even goes to Ja to visit. Plus, he can't apply for a work visa if he is already in the system w/ wifey.

Sorry I was so long winded, but how can he check his status?
          Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Re: Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/20

1.If someone came to this country in a fiance visa and got married, is there a time frame that they have to file for adjustment of status?

2.Is that person considered illegal or out of status until the adjustment is filed since the fiance visa is no longer valid because its after the 90 day limit? They got married before the 90 day but didn't file yet.

3.Can the person get in trouble with immigration or get hassled by the law?

4.One more, sorry, if the fiance hyphinated her name with her husband, will that cause confusion with filing the papers and what name should they use, her maiden or new name on paperwork?

Comment

1. If someone is in the USA on a H2B visa (work program), can their status be adjusted to that of a permanent resident, if they already have an I130 pending with NVC?

1B. If yes, is it better for a sibling (who is a citizen) to file the adjustment or a parent (who is not yet a citizen)?.

1C. What's the approximate wait if either person files?
              <span style="font-weight: bold">A we sey IGLAZ FI LIFE!!!</span>

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7892/buju.jpg

Comment

Are there any options for someone who has illegally resided in the country for over 20 years?
                Can they still be sponsored, etc?

Comment

My boyfriend, Ted, and I have been living together for over 3 years. We have applied for a visa for him to meet my family in America and have been turned down 3 times. They always ask the same questions of him, "Are you married?" (No) and "Do you have children?" (No) and then deny him. Process takes like 2 minutes and $100 US gone again. We cannot marry as I would lose my medical insurance. He has tried to show them papers to verify he owns property and a home and has bank accounts for over 15 years, but they refuse to look at them.

Is there any way that we can get him over to the US for 3 weeks to visit my family? They cannot afford to come to Jamaica at this time. Thank you for your time.
                  `If your dream doesn't include the &quot;impossible&quot; it's too small - Joel Osteen

Comment

What fees have increased recently or soon increase?? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70379-moneyeyes.gif[/img]
                    http://dv.daisypath.com/Vm68m5/.png

Comment

My younger sister was born in the US, and under current Citizenship Regulations she is entitled for Jamaican Citizenship. One her last trip to Jamaica, she was told that in order to submit the application packet, she needed to provide a notarized affidavit from someone OLDER that could verify the information on my father's Birth Certificate. The issue is that our father is in his 80's and all the people that he would know that could provide the affidavit are all dead.

What can she do at this time? She is really interested in getting this dual citizenship.

Also, once/if she is able to get the affidavit and then submits the packet, what should happen next and how long should the process take?
                      Hurt people, hurt people.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juss_ILP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My younger sister was born in the US, and under current Citizenship Regulations she is entitled for Jamaican Citizenship. One her last trip to Jamaica, she was told that in order to submit the application packet, she needed to provide a notarized affidavit from someone OLDER that could verify the information on my father's Birth Certificate. The issue is that our father is in his 80's and all the people that he would know that could provide the affidavit are all dead.

What can she do at this time? She is really interested in getting this dual citizenship.

Also, once/if she is able to get the affidavit and then submits the packet, what should happen next and how long should the process take? </div></div>
                        Mi neva know dat shi study Jamaica immugration/citizenship laws too??
                        I must come and here some of the Jamaican answers then.
                        Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

thanks dudd
                          just thought she might be able to point me in the right direction, if she doesnt know the answers herself.

leave it to you, kissteet [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                          Hurt people, hurt people.

Comment

Hi again Miss Brown..

Can one modify the status of an I 130 application...the person filed for a relative while he was a permanent resident and now that he is a citizen, he wants to know if he could change his status on the application in order to speed up the process for his relative. If so...what are the steps and how long after will it take for the relative to get an appointment for the green card?
                            <span style="font-style: italic">But si yah! Yu nuh easy! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/704555_dwl.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70394-bawlout.gif</span>

Comment

Re: Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juss_ILP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks dudd
                              just thought she might be able to point me in the right direction, if she doesnt know the answers herself.

leave it to you, kissteet [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif[/img] </div></div>

yuh seet dough kissteet [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                              “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X