Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Negril - Beach vs. Cliffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negril - Beach vs. Cliffs

My boyfriend and I are going to Negril (first time) at the end of March for a short vacation and are considering staying at the Rockhouse. It looks like exactly the type of hotel I love, but I'm concerned about the fact that it's not on the beach. I'd love some input as to the pros and cons of staying beachside vs. on the cliffs (FYI - we enjoy a mix of both quiet relaxation and partying at clubs and bars) and info on the taxi ride from the Rockhouse to 7-mile beach - how long a ride, how much does it cost, are taxis easy to get?.
    P.S. I've done extensive traveling and have stayed on beautiful beaches all over the world, so I thought staying on the cliffs would be a new and fun experience. Thanks!

Re: Negril - Beach vs. Cliffs

Being on the cliffs does not mean you aren't on the water, you just jump in instead of walking in [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are steps carved itno the rock, and ladders to help you get out, it's no biggie. There are advantages over the beach too - more privacy, fewer tourists, you can snorkel right there (nothing to see on the beach unless you take a boat out). Plenty of great restaurants and bars in that area, walkable. You might want to go to the beach to do the live reggae thing, everyone goes to the cliffs for sunset though.

There are taxis everywhere, just step out the gate of Rockhouse, cost to mid-beach should be around $3 per person - settle that price BEFORE you get in the taxi and if they don't want to take you for that, wait for the next one, there are a lot. Rockhouse may run some type of shuttle, I know they shuttle people TO their restaurant for free.

I prefer the cliffs to the beach myself, though we've stayed on the beach the last couple of trips 'cause we've had small children with us.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Liz
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

PS: Everyone, can we get some thoughts on cliffs vs beach from you all? This comes up so often I'd like to get a good long discussion on it so I can archive it for future travelers.

Thanks!

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Liz

Comment

Thanks, Liz. I think I'm sold on the cliffs! But I'd still love to hear more opinions from other people.

Comment

well that's a difficult decision

we were in negril in sept and decided to stay on the beach for a few days and then move up to the cliffs (actually at rockhouse....you will LOVE it there)

beach....easy access to LOT'S of entertainment and nightlife....free beach parties walking distance....lot's of people watching ability....felt like we were in the action..hardly ever paid for a cab ride to anywhere

cliffs....did i already say how much i loved the rockhouse ....oh yeah i did.....
          peaceful...BEAUTIFUL the villa was right on the ocean's edge.....really great for snokeling..private sundeck with a ladder for entry into the water.....really good places to eat...that are close by. rick's and pickled parrot are up on the cliffs.....hang out places you may want to check out. BUT paid for taxis to the beach and to hi/low (grocery store)a lot. taxi prices during the day were around 4.00us for two of us...to the beach and to hi/low around 2.00 us for two in the evening slightly higher

if i had to choose i couldn't because i enjoyed both for different reasons....i guess it would depend on what i needed at the time.....more relaxation or more party.....BUT you can do both in both places

you can't go wrong with the rockhouse....
          Jamaica.....a place your body goes to find where your mind and soul has always been

Comment

Cliffs get my vote as the place to call "home" while in Negril.
            One benefit I noticed there, esp. in the evenings, was that there were NO sandfleas and minimal skeeters...maybe due to all the bats living in the caves doing their fabulous best to eat em up! Ja love em.
            You can always get to the beach for parties, food music...but then retreat to your nest on the cliffs.
            We are going back to the cliffs for sure.

Comment

The beach gets my vote - at least the lower part of the beach. You can walk everywhere - great food/entertainment/hotels - easily. There's just something about being to step outside of your door, walk a hundred yards, and be on the beach. Whenever I stay on the cliffs I end up going to the beach much more often that I end up going to the cliffs when I stay on the beach.

I'd say that it depends on why you are going to Negril, though. The beach is livelier, the cliffs more low-key. If you don't really want to do a lot of partying, it might make more sense to stay on the cliffs since it is cheaper. But I think that the whole "party atmosphere" is a BIG reason that a lot of people choose Negril in the first place, and there's no place better to party than on the beach!
              "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." Malcom Forbes

Comment

We chose the beach as we had "teenagers". I originally thought if we were alone I would have chosen the cliffs. Probably in the future I will stay on the beach as I was raised on the beach (not in Jamaica!) and it felt very natural to me - plus it is very beautiful. This is a difficult choice to make. One advantage to the cliffs might be that you know when the water is good to jump - on the beach you never know if it's a good time to jump in the taxi and head up. A part of me would want to base the decision on projected taxi fares - but I don't think you can. No matter where you stay I think you want to be "up there" 1/2 the time and "down there" the other half! Perhaps we were just lucky but we had no problems last week on the beach with bugs whatsoever. - j

Comment

She,

I am also from NY and I go to Negril alot. I have stayed on both beach and cliffs. I like them both.

If you want easy access to swim in the ocean i would stay beachside and check out idle awhile. If you want romantic cliffs rockhouse is great but i like to have the option of ac so i would say check out villas su mer. They are right next door to LTU which is great to eat and hang out and drink and villa su mer is quite romantic.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC_Girl:
                    [qb]She,

If you want romantic cliffs rockhouse is great but i like to have the option of ac so i would say check out villas su mer..[/qb]
                    rockhouse now has a/c in all of their rooms....YEPPIE
                    Jamaica.....a place your body goes to find where your mind and soul has always been

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I am really enjoying reading all your posts, and the info is very useful! I'm still leaning towards cliffs, partly since I've stayed on beaches so much in the past and want to try something new.

Comment

...I guess I'm just an old 'beach stick in the mud'...I love rolling out of my bed and landing at a table by the sea and having a wonderful breakfast 'people watching'...then, I love to take-off walking up and down the beach and hop in and out of my room during the day to freshen up...

I promise that I will stay on the cliffs.......someday [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

She-stay on the cliffs! It is so awesome. The beach is a cabride away for less than $5.00 by taxi. The snorkeling and sunsets and morning views and great places to eat are all there. Taxi's are always available to anywhere. We are returning in March and our rooms are booked on the cliffs. Can't wait for the sunsets-Steph

Comment

Don't you LOVE this board and these people?! I remember how much everyone helped me this time last year (and they're still helping this year!)

We stayed on the beach last year, but spent almost every evening on the Cliffs. This year (74 more sleeps! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) We are doing both...beaching and partying for the first 5 nights, and then cliffs for the last 7 nights.

You said you were planning a short vacation - our short one week vacation turned into 12 days because return flights were sold out. We had to move our vacation from end of March to middle of April - and the prices @ hotels dropped so much that it's costing us the same $$ to stay off peak for 12 nights, as it was to stay during peak time for only 7. (God works in great ways!)

Wherever you go in Negril - there are great things to do and see, and wonderful people to meet!

Rock Cliff is beautiful (we toured the ocean side cottage while were there)

Have a good time!

Martina [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Rock Cliff is beautiful (we toured the ocean side cottage while were there)

...was that Rock Cliff or Rockhouse? If Rock Cliff, can you tell me more? It's an option for us for April and I haven't seen it.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X