Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

TOPIC OF THE WEEK - What items do you bring back from Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TOPIC OF THE WEEK - What items do you bring back from Jamaica?

Has anyone ever brought back a 'ready-made' Christmas tree ornament, or something that wound up on the tree even if that wasn't the intention? When I used to do trees (long ago)some wonderful memories went up along with each oddity collected from different trips to different countries.
    Do not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness. -J. Thurber-

Comment

3 Dives is a must...the food is great, and Paula
      and Lydie are so sweet. Have a great picture from the kitchen. We managed to get home with two bottles of their "out of this world "sauce ;packed in our suit cases. And yes it is put in old bottles with a duck tape seal...makes it even better. We ate a lot and enjoyed just being there. We ate half the menu in our two visits and I am still thinking about it.
      the best thing you can do is take lots of film
      and make sure you forgo the "typical pics", but
      try to capture the hummingbirds, the male ones especially which have the long tails, the beautiful people in thier everyday lives and all the special moments. My pictures are my favorite
      .....Daddy two, the wonderful old fisherman who was our captain down the black river....If only I had a tape recorder to hear him tell his stories
      again....Our great night out with Soloman and Sienna....the list goes on....Be a good journalist
      and take tons of pictures...beads are beads...although their are some beautiful pieces to chose from. Amy

Comment

I have a friend who collects christmas tree ornaments and I always get her something that if not an ornament at least resembles one. She has ornaments on her tree from all over the world - its unique.

Don't know what im going to do as I'm almost out of coconut milk powder and Walker's One Stop table sauce. Didn't bring enough back with me last time. I ususally cook JA style at least once a week. Well maybe this is a good excuse to plan another trip!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It's my 1st trip so thanks for all the ideas on what to bring back. 3 dives sounds like it's a must!

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. Richard Bach

Comment

I think so Murry!

Here is 3 Dives' web site.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Liz
            Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

I saw the above question - where does one go to buy the items? If there is already a thread - please let me know where to go find out! Want to bring back some things too....also, pay in US or JA? Trade money home or when we arrive - I have seen to not exchange at the airport? thanks!

Comment

No.. I don't think that there is a thread on where do buy the things... I've posted my message a while away and no reply...

So if anyone sees this, I would like to buy something during my stay in Negril. I will be staying in Beaches and would like to know how far the closest place to buy things are. THx [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Hi!

There are lots of places to shop in Negril. Just along the cliff road and the beach, there will be vendors of all kinds of clothes, carvings, sarongs, jewelry, hats....

In town there are a couple of shopping plazas with shops in them - Sunshine Plaza is one, on the beach road there is also Time Square Mall with fine jewlery and cigars and duty-free stuff. That may be closest to Beaches.

There's an outdoor craft market just out of town towards the cliffs too, I have not been there.

I'm not a huge shopper so I'm not too much help...those are just what I've seen.

Comment

And...you can use US$ or JA$ most places, generally the more casual places - huts in the market and along the beach and road, quote in JA$. They don't usually take credit cards or even travelers checks.

The malls often do take trav checks and quote in US$, but of course will use JA$.

Bring a currency converter cheat sheet with you so you know where you are in both:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

You can change money at any cambio (a money changing place), there are several along the roads. The airport rate is usually the worst and the banks have the same as cambios but long lines.

Beaches will have vendors and/or a gift shop on the property but they will be more expensive than outside, most likely.

Comment

Thanks - this info helps! I will be in MB but assume the shopping is similar - get outside the resort:-) 12 days and counting!

Comment

For last minute shopping there is, of course, the airport. Since you have to get there so early it's a good thing there are so many shops there - duty-free stuff, liquor, even spices now. It's not the cheapest place but at least you aren't taking up vacation time (I don't like to shop much).

Comment

Last trip I brought back five roast breadfruit which I cut into quarters, froze and then either steamed or fried as a side dish for months after.
                          When chopping out some land, I also cut out the red hearts of some logwood trees (pure macca dem) and brought them back. My sweetheart boils them down to make a red dye for yarn.
                          A bag full of dry pimento leaves to use in brown stew Kingfish at home.
                          A couple of jars of hot, smoky, salty, fishy Walkers Woods Solomon Gundy and 3-4 bottles of Gray's regular Scotch Bonnet sauce.

And a huge bag full of memories every time.
                          Question authority.

My stuff: http://www.etsy.com/shop/landandseaglass

Comment

Jacks, where are you staying?

Comment

All you'll have to do is walk along the beach for lots of vendors. I love to buy wood carvings, last time I got 2 sun/moon/stars carvings & a giraffe at craft market by river in downtown Negril. I price beach vendors 1st & then usually get it cheaper at craft market.
                              Also shopped at "real mini shopping mall" Times Square Mall where shop had beautiful polished wood dancer for $8. I bought several of these as each was unique for gifts & myself.
                              Ting is refreshing grapefruit soda that is better than Fresca or Squirt but similar. I love Ting & vodka!
                              Blue Mtn. Coffee is strong great coffee but bulky to bring home. It's cheaper at store in town than at airport but booze was reasonable @ airport.
                              Lots of choices of unique gifts everywhere for yourself or others, just depends on how much you want to spend or negotiate with locals.
                              Girlfriend from my office has me bring her leather face masks everytime I go, I spent $20 for 2 of small ones (she paid me).
                              Also bought 10 JA pens for souvenoirs & got them for $2 a piece when I bought bulk & negotiated at gift shop Paradise View Hotel. He also told me he would exchange travellers checks with better exchange rate than my hotel $46JA to $1US.
                              Make a list of who you're buying for & ask them if they want booze or souvenoirs. You can always just buy small rum cream bottles for $2-3 a piece. Shops at airport are generally more expensive than in Negril except for the booze & it's more convenient for them to pack it to take back with you. Apple said we couldn't carry booze on flight home but no one stopped anyone from carrying their boxes of booze on plane with them.
                              Enjoy your trip, I'm sure looking forward to my return Feb 27th. Countdown of return to paradise is on! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                              JamaiKay

Comment

Last time I went in 2000, I came back with bammie, tin cheese, scotch bonnet pickle, kisco pop, carvings, books,music, paradise plums, chinese sweetie, a few bottles of Appleton Gold, some Matterhorns (gifts), a print of the famous Baby Dread charcoal, dry thyme keychains, ackee, magnets, and I think that's all. (Mi family craven) God blessed me that time because Customs dig up dig up inna de bag dem, an neva tek nuttin, nor charge me duties. Heehee...It's my smile that did it.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X