Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

T R I P R E P O R T : Ochi, Port Antoni, Kingston, MoBay, Negril

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T R I P R E P O R T : Ochi, Port Antoni, Kingston, MoBay, Negril

I hate getting up early in the morning. This morning wasn't so bad though, knowing that I'll be in Jamaica before noon. My roommate and I reached the airport around 8am for the 8:30am departure. Plenty of time to fill out the required jumpseat request form, and ask the captain of the flight for the ride. As much as I don't like wearing the pilot uniform away from work, you can't beat cutting in front of the 200 yard line at the airport security checkpoint, and catching a free ride in first class to Jamaica.

Due to rush hour traffic on the runways of Memphis International Airport our pushback from the gate was delayed until 9am. They're testing my patience, I was thinking. I've been waiting for this ever since I came back from my last trip in August and now I have to wait more!

Once airborne, a few chapters in the book and a breakfast later the turquoise blue circular shape of Lucea Bay appeared outside my starboard side window. Then the ironbird made a sharp left turn towards Hopewell and the Airbus 320's slats, flaps, and landing gear rumble into the landing configuration as we pass over the Bay of Montego. The town and the backdrop of hills warmed by the sun in the distance. We pass 10 feet over Dead End Beach and the tires gently swish the asphalt of Sangster's runway 7. "Welcome to Paradise, local time is....not important".

(To Be Continued...)

Re: T R I P R E P O R T : Ochi, Port Antoni, Kingston, MoBay, Negril

Great beginning.. please don't keep me waiting.. I have a feeling this is going to be my type of a trip report.. I almost felt like I was landing with you.. MORE MORE MORE. pretty please
    A positive attitude might not solve your problems but will annoy others to make it worth the effort

Comment

me too...me too...me too...

please don't keep us waiting [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay you have my attention . . . continue please! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. Richard Bach

Comment

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] sunglasses on, ready for more...!

~riz
          Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell. -Joan Crawford

Comment

As soon as the seatbelt sign was extinguished everyone immediately jumped to their feet and started excavating the oversized carry-ons from the aircraft's overhead compartments. What's the rush for? I don't know. There are two exits and they're not open yet. You're in Jamaica folks, relax.
            As we step from the aircraft onto the airstairs the 86-degree breeze hits your face, and that pleasant summer smell lets you know that you're home. Take a deep breath, and in the words of a Marley song "Smile, you're in Jamaica!"
            As we were the first ones out there was no line at the immigration hall, although if there was one I wouldn't mind it, since there was a band playing and singing about their pride for the Island. As bad as the exchange rate is at the currency exchange office at the airport, I had to change $20US to get us through until we can go to a bank. As most airline employees know better, and have learned to travel with carry-on luggage only, we have bypassed the whole baggage claim ordeal and headed straight for the "Nothing to Declare" line at customs. No questions asked, and we were soon at the Island Rent-A-Car counter. While our little Daewoo Matiz was being readied it was time to take off the uniform and change into normal clothing. But most importantly take off the watch and hide it somewhere where I won't look for it and be tempted by it. To truly relax, you can't worry about trivial things like time or date. You get up when you wake up, you eat when you're hungry, you sleep when you're tired. Simple as that. Ahh....the good life!

(To Be Continued...)

Comment

NO.. don't stop your such a tease.. you didn't even get out the door yet... what kind of vehicle was that? a jeep of some sort.. I hope.. hurry back, and spread some more magic...
              A positive attitude might not solve your problems but will annoy others to make it worth the effort

Comment

Magic, I'm sitting hear reading your post and remembering that feeling you get once you duck the top of the plane and stand erect on the first step of the stairs leading down to the runway. And then the feeling you get when you enter the airport and know exactly where to go to get outside to your car quickly. You even look around and pitty those first time travellers who look puzzled as to what to do. Keep writing as I am living vicariously through your report. I have not been to JA since last August and have the serious Blues!
                Remember that the best relationships is the one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.

Comment

poor, poor AngieB...lord, child, not since last August...how you survivin'

I flew back from JA Dec. 3 and I'm missin my second home BAD

soon come, Magic...me wanna more [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

With the watch, uniform, cell phone, and all other evidence of everyday life packed deeply away in the small yet amazingly spacious carry on bag I was ready to roll. As AngieB mentioned, you watch with amusement as first time visitors wander aimlessly through the halls of Sir Donald Sangster Airport while you pass them quickly and head where you need to go. If they only followed the signs they'd be alright. But I guess some get distracted. Needless to say I was happy to leave the terminal. I don't like large crowds, especially tourists who try to run you over with their 150 pound rolling suitcases. The shining while Daewoo Matiz was parked outside and ready for takeoff.
                    Since "budget" was the key word on this trip, the car or vehicle as that's more of an appropriate term for the subject, was budget as well. It had four doors, even though it's the size of a two door. The machine is significantly shorter in height than myself and looks a little odd on the road. With manual transmission very small wheels it is really the most basic thing to get you from point A to B. But ti DOES have power windows! And that's more than my own car. At $40US a per day (minus 10% Airline Employee discount) it's a bargain.
                    We loaded up the buggy and got in. My friend (his second trip after our August excursion) who's fiancee's family is Jamaican warned him to leave the driving to me. So he went to the right side of the car by the force of habit only to find that the passenger seat is not there. Once settled in, I rolled the windows down, turned the air conditioning off, tuned the radio to Irie FM and headed east.

(To Be Continued...)

Comment

All right Magic just tell us now, are you trying to beat brcworks' 5-page-150-posts trip report on Lost Beach?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Liz
                      Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

come on you can do more than that at once...please next round give more of the story.. this is getting too frustrating..I never did that to all of you..one whole story to read at will..atleast break in up in large parts.. otherwise I think we will still be in the car heading east for the whole weekend!!!

Comment

I love this report, Magic! Spread it out over weeks so we can savor every minute. This guy really knows how to write a trip report!

Comment

....I thought you might like his style brcworks [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

DWL @ yall :-)
                              Thank you. I don't think it's possible to beat Brcworks' report in size but I do have all 4-day trips at work this month so I'll have to write in spare time in between.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X