Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Negril - My Week in Jamaica 10/31 thru 11/7/04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Negril - My Week in Jamaica 10/31 thru 11/7/04

Had to chuckle thinking about Colonel Martin Luther Wright. I met him in 1989. Received letters for years after that. Went to his house where he had the treaty wrapped in plastic. He read some parts to us - I was busy slapping mosquitos. This was before the centre was built or anything. I hardly recognize the place - seems all built up - and that tower shows the impact of progres - ugh!
    If you like something, enjoy it, `cause it's going to change!
    If you don't like something, don't fret, `cause it's going to change!
    Unknown

Comment

Accompong ~~ Great trip report [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

a question::: Marshalls house ---- is that a wall or board ?? or something else.
      be happy

Comment

Hi smith744,

The very oldest houses in Accompong Town are the wide board houses usually made from a tree called "broadleaf" or "guango" is sometime used. Other woods like Spanish Elm and Jamaican Cedar are sometimes used as well.

The next trend was to build using stucco, cement and wood in various combinations. I believe that this house was built in that era. Marshall's aunt from whom he inherited the house on her death was quite old.

Todays houses in Accompong Town are built like the better homes around Jamaica. Cement block filled with cement and reinforced by re-bar.

BTW, I am not a construction person so I could be wrong but have watched a lot of places being built.

Respect

Bill Evans

Comment

thanks for the feedback...

the stucco, cement & wood combo sounds interesting.... i need to investigate that..thanks
          be happy

Comment

After leaving Marshall's ruined home, we silently walked down the now paved road. It was hard not to remember when Marshall had a home and the road was a mere path before Cable an Worthless brought their form of progress to town.

We stopped at Flashy's store to have a cold beer and noticed a couple of friends just sitting there with nothing to do so we asked them if they wanted to play some dominoes.

It was Sunday morning so people were just coming home from church. The kids were running on ahead to get out of there finest and into play clothes. Flashy will often pass out a candy or two to the children so they duck in to see if it is a lucky Sunday! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Time always seems to fly and the next thing I knew, I had only a little more than an hour before I had to leave for the MoBay Airport. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I had packed before walking over to Marshall's home so I just needed to get Shereth moving so Blacka could take me home to the airport and Shereth to the MoBay Bus Yard to catch a transport home. It is always difficult leaving friends but this time I had to say goodbye to my two best friends in Jamaica as well.

I decided to say goodbye to Marshall here in Accompong Town and Shereth at the airport. It is never actually Goodbye but rather
            Soon Come!
            as I knew I would be back soon.

After saying goodbye to Marshall, we headed towards the airport in silence. The trip was long and hard due to foggy conditions and detours around damage caused by Ivan. About 45 minutes longer than usual, Blacka pulled into the airport and we unloaded my bags. I was still nice and early as I always like to be.

I could see a tear in Shereth's eye as I wiped away one in my eye as well. What a wonderful friend and confidant we have in each other's friendship. A long hug later, I was passing through the aiport doors and back to a reality I grow more weary of every time I go home. Jamaica, I will be back soon!

INFORMATION AND LINKS FOR THE PLACES AND PEOPLE YOU HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT:
            <ul type="square">[*]WHISTLING BIRD http://www.negriljamaica.com [*]ALTON HEADLEY (DRIVER) WHISTLING BIRD (876)340-1082 or Email at [email protected]<br />[*]ROARING RIVER: DR. SCOTT 876-365-6173[*]iIRIE REST GUEST HOUSE TREASURE BEACH http://www.geocities.com/irierestguesthouse/ [*]GOLDEN SANDS GUEST HOUSE http://treasurebeach.net/guide/sda/goldensands.html [*]ACCOMPONG TOWN TOURS AND ACCOMODATIONS CALL 876-357-2743[/list]

Thanks to all of you for your comments and for reading about my trip.

Nuff Respect

Bill Evans

Comment

Accompong,
              AWESOME report!..I really enjoyed it. Your pictures are fabulous!!!! I love so many of them I can't choose which is my favorite. Excellent photo quality. You have a way with writing that I've always enjoyed.

Repect,

Vi.
              maxi priest...mellifluous!

Comment

The little girls are so precious. There was a small girl name Roxy that walked with me back to the village after we had been out to the Kindah Tree, she must be about the age of the girls in the picture now, around 8 or 9....The one on the right could be her....

Thanks 'Pong!
                **raiseyeyebrows** pon de whole a oonu!

Comment

What a great report. thanks for sharing.
                  When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone that life has handed vodka to.

Comment

Bill,
                    Your insight into Jamaica is the best.
                    So glad you made it back after all the troubles you've had this year.
                    Great report as always.
                    Respect.
                    You can make Someones Day in Jamaica...help a kid (pickney)

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X