Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Camping in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping in Jamaica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

Silly, whatever you decide, walk good [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

Silly, whatever you decide, walk good [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

what would jesus do? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
      Yeah, but i didn't know what i didn't know.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtledude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] </div></div>

Silly, whatever you decide, walk good [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

what would jesus do? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

i think jamaica would be a new experience for him [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SillySOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have much experience with this? I was thinking about going for a month or so and figured I could just throw a hammock up by the beach or in the trees somewhere most nights. Cash is tight so paying for a bed every night would definitely shorten the trip. And by the way, what chance does a white boy from the midwest have of making it all the way around the island on foot? =) From what I've read it seems most of the crime in Jamaica is centered around Kingston so I've been thinking about doing a 10-15 mile/day pace and making my way around the island's edge. I know it's not the safest hike in the world but I'm not expecting it to be. If anyone's done something like this before, tips would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone thinks I really shouldn't do it in the first place, ya might as well let me know that too. I really think it could a great trip though, as long as I can get away with the camping.
          </div></div> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>

There are mostly honest and loving people in Jamaica. But there are criminals and addicts and murderers too. We even have them in the police force too. I suppose like every where else. The big difference is that most Jamaicans unlike Americans, really mind their own business and they don't consider that to include suspecting foul play when they see something a little out of the norm. There us also a derth of brightly lit places outside of the cities and towns. And the most of Jamaica is rural.
          With all of that being said, you can go camping in Jamaica, but you should go to known camping grounds. Ask questions and listen to others more experienced campers. Ask questions and listen to your camp grounds manager. If possible get the info on your next camp ground. Get a cheap cell phone while you are there and call ahaed and follow any directions you get. Jamaica is a very fine place to spend a lot of free time. I did a lot of that as a youngster. But Jamaica is not the US, neither is it like most places yoy have been. If the locals warn you about anything take it very serious.
          Then you will be wishing you had more time when it is all over.</span>
          Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: turtledude
            Originally Posted By: DiamondDave
            Originally Posted By: Seveen
            walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention

Silly, whatever you decide, walk good

what would jesus do?

i think jamaica would be a new experience for him </div></div>

i second that seveen [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70374-lipsrsealed.gif[/img]
            better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
            april 04, 2012

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: SillySOB
              Anyone have much experience with this? I was thinking about going for a month or so and figured I could just throw a hammock up by the beach or in the trees somewhere most nights. Cash is tight so paying for a bed every night would definitely shorten the trip. And by the way, what chance does a white boy from the midwest have of making it all the way around the island on foot? =) From what I've read it seems most of the crime in Jamaica is centered around Kingston so I've been thinking about doing a 10-15 mile/day pace and making my way around the island's edge. I know it's not the safest hike in the world but I'm not expecting it to be. If anyone's done something like this before, tips would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone thinks I really shouldn't do it in the first place, ya might as well let me know that too. I really think it could a great trip though, as long as I can get away with the camping.

</div></div>

hey sillysob
              i'm a older white woman and have done extensive trips around the island . . . i move within jamaican communities and hills . . .
              sometimes in ja us foreigners do not "see" the dangers that are lurking about the place . . .
              going on foot around the island ALONE is not the best idea . . . dr. dudd gave proper advice . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
              april 04, 2012

Comment

So I'm doing it. Flying into MoBay tomorrow and got a flight out on Dec. 13. Wish me luck, hope I don't die. If this is the last post I ever make, say a prayer for the dear departed =)

Comment

Safe Travels!

let us know when you get back; I bet you'll have some interesting stories!
                  Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm doing it. Flying into MoBay tomorrow and got a flight out on Dec. 13. Wish me luck, hope I don't die. If this is the last post I ever make, say a prayer for the dear departed =) </div></div>

if you get to an internet cafe, pick up this thread and update us . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                    april 04, 2012

Comment

oh dang, i'm late. well sillySOB if you check back before yuh go -- have a great time and no worry yourself so much. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70388-shameonyou.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] it's not gonna be like that, silly! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Jamaica really is the most heartical place. Still, reality is what it is. And bein on foot (what a great adventure!) [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] you'll be moving among the regular folks, in a different vibe from an all-inclusive tourist, so folks here just want you to hear the real thing, not only 'paradise-fantasy' talk. I think hiking the whole island is way cool, but i also agree with what others have said here - that when the day is done, it's a better idea to cough up the small fee for a real camping spot, than to just find a tree in the bush.

My first time there was camping, but a long time ago, so of course things are different 20 years later. But, i (may) know of a great place. thing is, i don't know if you can still camp there, but you can check it out if you go Negril. Up on the cliffs in the West End, there's a place called Dred Lion, right next to Rick's Cafe. Used to be, you could pitch a tent there right out on the cliff and hang yuh hammock right there between the palm trees. was real reasonable too, again i have no idea what it is now. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/inlove1.gif[/img] Awesome place. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/inlove1.gif[/img]

and p.s. yeh what DD sed.....we'll be waiting for stories from your adventure! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hungry.gif[/img]

Fear is the lock, and laughter the key to your heart.

Comment

Silly, when you get to Jamaica and you see all the bars on people's windows and verandas, they are not put there to keep the people inside their houses, get what I'm saying?

You may go and camp your merry way around the island and be fine, luck may be on your side. I would not recommend it however, unless I took the advice of those like Dr. Dudd and stayed in a recognized, guarded camping environment.

Guest houses would be a better alternative for you IMHO.
                        It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SillySOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm doing it. Flying into MoBay tomorrow and got a flight out on Dec. 13. Wish me luck, hope I don't die. If this is the last post I ever make, say a prayer for the dear departed =) </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] an to think u spend u own money even wid such doubts... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] but i bet u anyting u will be one who go every year afta dis but not before ad nauseum countdown ...enjoy yaad ,no mek it enjoy u [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]
                          u so fake, even China denied mekking u

Comment

Two weeks. That's how long I lasted. Actually, that's a bad way to put it--two weeks is how long the money lasted. I would have loved to stay the entire month but I don't think it's possible to live truly cheap in JA. Not for a tourist. One thing that definitely can tick the locals off is an American that doesn't want to spend money, at least in the tourist cities. After all, that's the game in places like that right? Everyone's got to get their piece.

I wish I could write a trip report but I didn't take any pictures and most of my memories in Jamaica are of the "what happens here, stays here" variety. I basically ended up going native for a couple weeks and let's just say I wasn't exactly hanging out with the high society types =) Not counting my last night there, I spent about 20 minutes talking to Americans out of the entire two weeks. And I was still barely able to follow Patois. Never even bothered trying to speak more than a word or two of it. If there's one thing I'd say was essential to spending time in Jamaica, it's the ability to at least understand Patois. My first few days there I didn't have a clue what was being said and that can be extremely dangerous. If someone misunderstands you and then starts yelling at you in heavy Patois, it really helps if you know what the hell he's saying. And please god, learn the slang before you go. One wrong word and... things can get serious. And if you ever hear someone use the words "Batty Boy", they're not saying "Betty Boy". So even if your mom's name happens to be Betty, just keep your mouth shut, and never EVER say anything like "Well I guess I'm sort of a Betty Boy" because believe me when I say that that one vowel makes a hell of a difference. I actually thought this was a pretty funny story until I found out just how serious it was.

Actually by the time I left Negril and started walking back to MoBay, the rumor around town was that I was a gay CIA agent. Let me tell you, if there's one thing you do NOT want to be in Jamaica, it's a gay CIA agent. Either half of that rumor would have been enough to get a knife in my back eventually. All of the mainstays on my part of the beach knew me well enough (even if they didn't understand why I wouldn't pay for sex) but there were still plenty of young punks quick with a knife that only knew of me by someone saying "hey, see that white boy over there? Gay CIA agent" And damn did I stick out. I don't know if it's usually this empty in November but the place looked like a ghost town. Half the reason I never talked to Americans is because there weren't any around to talk to. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but I really doubt if more than 10% of the beds in town had someone staying in them. I could have tried doing an informal survey but I doubt if anyone would have told me their occupancy rate. One thing about I learned about Jamaica is that your business is your business and that's that.

It really is a different way of life down there. More so than any other place I've been. And I don't mean the huge cultural differences that you might see between countries with different religions, or completely opposite spots on the globe. And I don't just mean the differences between a rich country and a poor country, although that's definitely a part of it. It truly is just a different way of living. Hard to describe I guess, but I'm sure most of the people on these boards already know exactly what I'm talking about. And I miss it, now that I'm back here. Sure I can finally find a copy of the Times but now I have to read it under fluorescent lights, surrounded by skyscrapers and angry Americans.

Anyway, back to the point of this whole thread--you shouldn't walk around Jamaica. You can try. If you're with someone else, know exactly where you're going, speak Patois, and are always off the roads well before sunset there's definitely a chance you can make it. But I doubt it would be worth it. And still, even with all that, sooner or later you'll probably be walking down the wrong street when the wrong car drives by and all the sudden you got a bunch of shottas taking everything you own or leaving you in a ditch. Oh and I forgot, any trip around the island is going to have to include one hell of a detour around Kingston. Jamaica's "safe" if you stay in the tourist areas and play by the rules but those areas are small and the rules strict. The real Jamaica, the 99% of the island that doesn't exist just to please the tourists, is a dangerous place. It's amazing and beautiful and exciting as hell but still... dangerous. Personally, I'll be renting a motorcycle next time I go and saving the walking for someplace else. Even on a motorcycle, I still think I'd take one hell of a big detour around Kingston. Hearing about how bad it was in that part of the country was one of the main reasons I decided to not walk it.

Alright, I just realized that this basically IS a trip report but so be it. My trip to Jamaica might not have gone like I had planned but it was still fun as hell. One day, I will be going back and I'll be looking forward to that every day till it comes. For now though, I'm thinking my next trip might be Istanbul-Jerusalem-Cairo. I'm guessing that could be an altogether different experience =)

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evanovitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">enjoy yaad ,no mek it enjoy u</div></div>

They need to put that outside the airport, in big red letters.

Comment

Welcome back to the "other" reality! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img]to you for having observed enough to "get it" in 2 weeks.....$ is definately a neccessity even if you're NOT a tourist!
                                Jamaica...NOTHING is as it seems.
                                j&#97;&#109;a&#105;&#99;a&#46;&#106;e&#119;&#101;l &#64;&#121;a&#104;&#111;o&#46;&#99;o&#109;

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X