Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping

Hey,wuts up everyone,....... im concidering a trip to JAMAICA this summer probably in the mountain reigon (NW?).....anyways, im looking for an "up close and personal" experience. are there locals to stay with?

Comment

have yu read this post?? and checked out the links we recommended to original poster?

Comment

runninrebel, you gotta go stay with Rasta Mokko in the mountains then!! that is the ultimate local experience [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

we stayed 2 weeks with him and we loved it.

here is a video of one day with mokko...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fv48UgdQA
        http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2122/event.png
        My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runninrebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey,wuts up everyone,....... im concidering a trip to JAMAICA this summer probably in the mountain reigon (NW?).....anyways, im looking for an "up close and personal" experience. are there locals to stay with?.....</div></div>

rebel, every man has the right to decide his own destiny, but I thought you should know that the sale, possesion and/or use of marijuana ( herb, ganja, etc...)is <u>illegal</u> all over the Island.
          Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

Sooo many options now abound! Baboo's Garden looks very nice. I just finally checked the link. We just got 21" of snow here in Wisconsin, and I wasn't able to go online so I apologize to everyone for not thanking them earlier.

However, I was hoping to hear more stories of camping in JA in addition to the great recommendations. Good, bad, fantastic, no-so-fantastic....anything is appreciated.

After all the snow, I can't wait to get outta here!!!!

Comment

hey, thats what i'm looking for exactlly......2 weeks with the locals in the mountains livin' RAW........ do you have any other videos of your trip?.......what did the trip cost roughlly?.....anyways, thanks for the xtra info..

Comment

runninrebel, we welcome your questions here at Jamaicans.com, but please read the Forum Rules concerning the content of posts on the site.

Also, please check your Private Messages ( click on the little flashing flag up in the bar where you see "My Stuff").

Comment

runninrebel, i have more videos but i have yet to upload them hehe our website, marcline.com has been running into a lot of problems, slowing down our process into uploading our newer pics and videos and completing our trip report...

(without counting flights and the taxis and 2 nights in Kingston) our trip has cost about 350 usd for 2 weeks, for 2, incl guide service, breakfast and dinner (we would eat lunch out). Now i know Mokko gave us a good deal because we have been very genereous to him and his baby mother and kids. We brought lots of stuff to give out to them, the school and also each time we would shop at the market for our own food, we would bought more so him and his family would have some to eat as well. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

if you can understand the patois, give Mokko a call.
                  My Trip Reports &amp; photos

Comment

I have to say that I am not a camper but when I look at some of these sights I'm really start getting itchy feet!

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nanook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a link to Tonyk's place in the Cockpits near Accompong:

Baboo's Garden

Happy hunting! It is so great to see so many options abound.

</div></div>

The place looks interesting as does Moko's and Zion countrty and Roots yard.
                      Who knows maybe one of these days I'll get to wander around a yard again.

Comment

and the good thing is, with Mokko or Zion Country, they have cottages, so you really don't need to camp out in a tent, and Mokko's $25/night rate is hard to beat [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] considering all of what he will do for you.

I know for us we came back home with dried bush tea leaves, lots of bamboo and nice calabash bowls, which he showed us how to get in the hills, cut and empty out to put to dry, it was a really educational vacation for us [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

Comment

thats sounds perfect ($350)....did you say he's from Zion Country?....and ill try to contact Mokko...... ,thanks for the info..

Comment

no, although we heard from him there, he is not from Zion. (lots of ppl will think that though) zion country is in a different parish, it's in Portland, in a community called Long Road. Mokko helped in building the place at Zion but no longer works there and now is in St Thomas, Sunning Hill, a community right beside Bath. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

what do you think about solo travel, concidering ive never been to Jam.....

Comment

well Mokko has tons of solo travelers going to see him, one of them was a lady and she had previously stayed in Kingston, alone, before meeting him and also staying at zion country, i believe, here is her story:

http://worldstogethertravel.com/jama...s-afrobaby.htm

Have you traveled anywhere else before? the afrobaby report will be useful for you to read, she has a lot of good advice, ie, why you should not take immodium etc

Water is a must. Thank goodness, we had plenty of water at Mokko's place, although it may not be very cold, it was very good water and we had brought one of our sport bottle to fill it up every day and had it attached to Marc's camera bag, so we always had water with us while we were walking around.

also, we've been posting some photos (the first few days of our last trip so far) here:

http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/ubbt...809#Post670809

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X