Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping

hmmm... ok, thanks., and no, i haven't been outsie of the US, im sure its very different from my world (Houston Tx.)....I have read some reports from travelers (white specifically), that have reported of "hostile resentment" towards whites....,roadblocks (entering Negril)(where I was thinking of going), getting robbed or "agressivlly encouraged to donate,. money etc..."..I in no way believe everything that I read or see on TV, but the reality, as you well know im sure is that Jam. is one of the deadliest places on the planet (given current stats...) I also know Jam. is a very loving country,..so I dont want to take anything away from that, I just want to be prepared.....thanks again

Comment

my advice book, pack and go

i travel to JA alone - and i'm a woman

it will be a life changing experience

mokko sounds good

alot of us on here like JahB's

inexpensive - right in the midst of negril

you won't be the first person from Houston to visit JA [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I concur with Seveen... yu are an adult (late 20'2) ..just use some common sense ..
        I suggest , since its ur fiirst time leaving the US of A , go to Mokko's and spend time there with him in St Thomas.. yu will have a wonderful time and he will teach yu the ropes for moving around Jamaica..lots of adventure there for you too..

Comment

agree with seveen and haki here, if its your first time, you will find having mokko as a guide very useful, he can smell thieves miles away,,, also doing the East Coast will be more relaxing, less hustlers there, and with less tourism than the west coast, vendors will often have great deals and good prices. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          another thing that is different, Jamaican aren't as open as we are Americans (or as me, Canadian), keep your plans with your taxi driver or your guide, don't share information in public, people don't do that in Jamaica, except tourists lol

i remember once saying out loud, "Oh I'd like to go get some T Shirts" and immediately i had someone trying to hustle me to follow him to get some T Shirts (not what i wanted to do, i just wanted to go at the market get some t shirts), Mokko picked up on that and got him away with a few Jamaican curse words hehe... ever since, i keep my errands between me, Marc, Mokko and our driver. People can get curious sometimes you know hehe

but the east coast is all good, the people are nice and it is very very beautiful.
          http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2122/event.png
          My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

perfect......, , I think Mokko sounds like a good starting point...
            thanks again for all your help...later

Comment

keeping reading trip reports

one forum down from this

little bay is nice

treasure beach is nice

rustic, unspoiled, with nuff good food

every one finds their own "folks"

just FLow...........................

there is a trip report from someone that hitch-hiked and camped for their 2 weeks . . . check the reports and discover ja

i think his word of advice was

don't drink

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

ThisisMystory; sorry if it took me a while to get back at you on Mokko's pricing. i finally spoke with him, just hung up like 5 mins ago... He confirmed that if you want to do camping there, it would be $500 JMD. He's only starting to have a few guests who wants to do camping, so next time we go to Jamaica (later this fall), we will be bringing our smaller tent we no longer use (it's a nice coleman, in a very good condition, we just have a bigger tent now, & only used that one maybe 5x) and give it to Mokko, so he have a tent for his guests who don't bring their own.

He also mentioned that he will prob. also make you some food, Mokko likes cooking very much [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/ubbt...607000&fpart=1

Hopefully that helps. If you can find someone that you're able to trust to be your guide before you even set foot on JA, I'd highly recommend it. Especially as a solo traveller that's never been out of the states, I can guarantee that you'll appreciate that extra pair of eyes watching your back. At least until you can get your bearings if nothing else.

My own first few days on the island could have gone a lot worse than they did if I hadn't had a jamaican friend to show me around a bit. Sure, he ended up putting a knife to my throat a couple days later but to be honest, I halfway deserved it and it's not like we didn't get past that [censored] in the end. I actually ran into him on my way back to catch my plane and we ended up burying the hatchet while sitting outside the airport having one last recreational break, his little going away present for a wayward student.

Let me leave you with this though--learn patois as much as you can before you ever set foot on jamaica. You don't have to speak it, but if you at least understand it a bit things will be a lot smoother. Hell, just look at my trip report to see how dangerous a little miscommunication can be.

Comment

hey GongGirl, sorry to bother you so much and thanks again for all of your useful info. I think I am starting to narrow down my questions, however I guess I dont understand about thread hijacking. I got in trouble for that already so I thought i would try to message you directlly... Do you know where to find cheap airfair? i have found flights from Houston for no cheaper that $400.00ish...also, are there any cheap housing accomidations in Nine Mile? I'm now thinking of staying for only 6 of 7 days....I want to arrive at Montego Bay (I have heard the airport in Kingston can be risky....) and head east to Nine Mile. I want to try to stay there overnight and head to Mokko's place the next day and stay for 5 days or so...do you need alot of money to enjoy yourself at Mokko's?.....thanks again..

Comment

You sure you really want to go to Jamaica on your first trip outside the US? Alone?

Comment

HI Runningrebel,
                        Don't worry about thread hijacking... what it means is when someone jumps in with another question, in a thread that was about something else... i'm sure most newbies have done this error before. I know i did, and sometimes still do... if your not sure next time just say: sorry if i'm jumping into a new subject before perhaps asking a question you may believe is related, works for me [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

ok, to answer you to both here and the private msg... i'll answer here as your question is very good.

as far as cheaper fare, its always cheaper when you buy it online, than going to a travel agent or over the phone IMO, but you have to make sure you spell your name correctly and you give the right information when you purchase your tix. I'm not sure what is the cheapest for you, as i'm from Canada and leave with Air Jamaica/Air Canada. But did use American Airline before to go to both Jamaican and Sint Maarten and their prices aren't too bad.

Spirit seems to be the cheapest on last minute deals but you have to go by their schedule, not yours often times, and it is best to travel with only carry ons (make sure which ever airline you use, to check what their restrictions are, i suggest you also ziploc everything, roll your clothes and ziploc it all, its easier when they do search your luggage... no mess, you don't endup losing things.)

Why is there a problem arriving in Kingston? We always arrive through kingston and never have a problem [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] and Mokko is there outside waiting for us with his sign! always nice feeling... to seem him from afar.

Some people may get cheaper flights from Montego Bay, but the drive from there to Mokko's place is longer, if you stay one night maybe in Negril and leave early in the morning to go to Mokko, you will have superb views tho, and Mokko will make sure you have a good driver if that's what you end up to do (he may not be there to pick you up, but will have someone he trusts for you) I never done Nine Miles (wish i did!) so can't really tell you what the accommodations are over there.. although i like your plan, maybe staying one night there, def sounds like a good idea. First time we traveled to Jamaica, we made one investment at least (beside maybe getting suicases lol) we bought the Frommer's Jamaica travel guide, it lists all the accommodations by parishes, it's overall a pretty good guide.

staying with mokko is really cheap, the only thing you'll prob spend a bit more money and even that's cheap compare to fares here in America, is your trip from the airports (either Mobay or Kingston) to ones place (long trips). Get yourself familiar with Jamaican Dollars and use it as oppose to US money, I know for us we get our money exchange at the aiport in Canada, less hassle that way, no need to do that when we arrive in Jamaica. We also use debit cards when ever we went to Morant Bay. Short fares are always very cheap and of course you will prob want to do some walking too. If its your first time traveling, you might find yourself meeting some nice people you'll want to help a bit so money might go fast in Jamaica if you're not used to that. (not much hustling on the East coast, but people are so so poor, yet the most helpful you will meet.)

You don't need to be rich to stay with Mokko, so i would say no, you will prob do fine with a few hundreds, depends on what you eat, drink and if you want to share with your host

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]

My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

Very awesome!! I can't wait to get down to Makko's. I'll also be bringing him an extra tent that I have. I planned on bringing some clothes down (as I always do) to help out as well. I really wish more people followed suit and realized that they are visitors to this wonderful island. I'll write more tomorrow after work... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW you will be a favorite visitor for sure and they will love you for your generosity, sometimes they don't smile, but it doesn't mean they aren't happy, they just struggle really hard you know. and by you visiting and maybe doing some hiking, maybe the Blue Mountain and visiting Jah B, seeing the peaches (yes there are peaches up in higher altitude, apparently!) If you do, what ever you do, please report back, we would love to see your adventures.

Irie
                            tell mokko, you know browning,(that's my name in Ja) i'm sure you'll hear of us, as well as of Dave and Dianne too, who owns the world together travel site... They have been more than generous and helpful to that community.

My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThisIsMyStory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very awesome!! I can't wait to get down to Makko's. I'll also be bringing him an extra tent that I have. I planned on bringing some clothes down (as I always do) to help out as well. I really wish more people followed suit and realized that they are visitors to this wonderful island. I'll write more tomorrow after work... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

I usually carry tings for people. But, it is getting harder and harder. 1st custums started troubling me when I was traveling 3-4 times per year. Then the luggage weight limit was cut from 2 70 lb pieces to 2 50 lb pieces. Then Spirit (which I have yet to fly) started charging for luggage and at least one other airline has jumped on that band wagon.

Comment

I'm reading this read post and others and thinking about spending a week end or at least a few days out side of TB when I go this summer.
                                I'm not sure yet exactly where. But, Portland and St. Thomas are in the running for sure.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X