Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Manatees ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Manatees ~

hey ladies
    i've been around portland/long bay/long road for nine years now . . . blue heaven . . . folks please pipe in if you've stayed there . . . it's at one end of long bay and would be a bus ride to where all the action is and the most beautiful beach area . . . sometimes what you see in a picture is not what's in real life [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70374-lipsrsealed.gif[/img] . . .

never stayed at henry's . . .is that the property couple of doors down from free's? . . .

those stairs are a killer [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif[/img] . . . 48 of them . . . really steep [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img] . . . couple of drinks and you're going down to the cottage on your butt [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img] . . .
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

Comment

hahaha i like the drunkin butt slides you're talking about lol, maybe you wanna sleep at the guest house whenever you get drunk [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/dizzy.gif[/img]
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2122/event.png
      My Trip Reports & photos

Comment

Thanks for the input. I would prefer to warned than go there and have problems.

Comment

Sorry I haven't been around much lately.

We went in 2002 or so. It is called Canoe Valley or Alligator Hole, and it is east of Gut River - I remember passing Gut on the way back and my daughter was already asleep so we didn't stop.

There is a small one room nature center, really not more than a few posters on the walls and a small display, right by a river. I ant to say it is Alligator Hole river? Not sure, but this road has nothing but thorn bushes (macca, I think they're called), so this is the ONLY structure you pass for quite a ways thus hard to miss. I know Milk River, the spring and hotel, is not too far further east and inland.

There was a guy with a small rowboat who we paid to row us towards the sea on the river. Three manatees live there and they are captive (there is a net across the river mouth). They were brought there years ago injured, I believe, and are fed. The government runs the place, it is not a for-profit thing. In fact I think they are running out of money to feed them...

We paid our boat guy and our driver to get there, there was no other charge that I recall.

We jumped in the river and snorkeled with the manatees, though they never let us get very close to them it was still really cool. The water was cold but very clear. I've learned since that there are crocs in that river too, but we didn't see any.

I have heard form others that you can see them be fed in the evening from land, so you don't have to do the boat, but I am not sure.

It's a good long drive, I think it took about 4 hours from Negril, but to go from TB would be very do-able..stop at Gut River going out, stop at Little Ochi coming back...

I would love to find out if it's possible to take a boat from Alligator Pond to Gut River and then onto the manatees...or even from TB, because that road is ROUGH. The brambley part along the coast is so narrow and winding that we were constantly honking because there was no way to see what was coming, ever, the bushes were so overgrown.

Some links on the manatees there:

http://www.nepa.gov.jm/newscenter/Pr...-reopen-06.htm

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldw...yFlanagan.html

http://www.nrca.org/publications/bro...20brochure.pdf

http://jamaicanmanatee.freeservers.com/pages/natura.htm

http://www.suagm.edu/umet/red/Mig03LAJAM.pdf

...one of these says the center reopened in 2006 so there may be more there than there was when we went.
          Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

THANKS Lizzie ... all those links are actually information that came up in Google ...

and - I got some more detailed information via PM ... regarding the area ... and indeed .... the road into the place might be more than we can take on ... me and my 'unrealistic' vision of what can be accomplished in a limited amount of time.

well ...if not this time - maybe another reach - when we can spend more time round Treasure Beach ~ [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]

Comment

It was an all day trip for us from Negril but it was one of the coolest trips ever, and my first time exploring the south coast.

So it was definitely worth it.
              Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Comment

Manatee do swim right by Zion Country this time of year. They like brackish waters where the sea and the fresh water mix. They look like "bobbing coconuts" in the water and March/April is their time to visit.

Free-I has a nice information page about them Manatee In Dutch they are called zeekoe.
                Dianne

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: immersedtraveler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manatee do swim right by Zion Country this time of year. They like brackish waters where the sea and the fresh water mix. They look like "bobbing coconuts" in the water and March/April is their time to visit.

Free-I has a nice information page about them Manatee In Dutch they are called zeekoe. </div></div>

Good to know, thanks.
                  Do they only come in March/ April?

I'm going in July and may check out Zion country (even if I stay at Henry's I hear that we can eat at Zion Country)

Comment

no idea really why I have such a facination with them ...

I have read Free-I's page on them as well ... thanks for bringing that up again as well ~

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laurel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no idea really why I have such a facination with them ...

I have read Free-I's page on them as well ... thanks for bringing that up again as well ~ </div></div>

You got me curious! I would really like to see them.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in terms of distance...negril to YS is about 1:20 hr

from YS to mantees[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] another hour 1:20 if i recall correctly..back to alligator pond 30 minutes ..den 2:40 back to negril. callit five an a hal hours of drive time ...long day but doable i think </div></div>

But when do you get the time to smell the roses?????????????????See the Beauty of YS? Enjoy the Manatees, Sit back and enjoy the vibe of Little Ochi, just enjoy being wherever you are without worrying about a time frame? Laurel, this is your sister's first time in Jamaica, are you trying to cram it down her throat so she will love it as much as you, or trying to scare her into never returning?(hope not)

Girl calm down and let it flow, with all the planning you are doing 4 things are going to happen:

She'll do a little
                        She'll do a lot

She'll Hate it
                        She'll Love it

Either way you guys get an opportunity to bond in a place that has become a place that you love and want to share with those who you love. Just being in Jamaica at the same time as you and spending an hour or two with you has become My treat. She's going to Love you more for trying. I predict that whatever you show her, she will love.
                        Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif

Comment

everything criss ....

we just have to have a "loosey goosey" itinerary in place ... so we do not spend too much time asking 'what do you want to do today ??? ... I do not know - what do you want to do???'

sister has endless and boundless energy ... me - not so much ~ specially since I have been feeling poorly this week leading up to our reach.

and Mr. is NOT a plan maker at all ... so - we have all had to step up - chat out what is on our 'wish list' .... so we can make the best use of time.

nuff time in between "activity days" will be spent up in the country with the family and up a bush ... so - our "smell JaJa" time is planned as well .... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] .... a joke ... not really .... so it goes in Jamaica ... the best laid plans can get mashed up - BUT - the up side to that is .... whatever else happens it always the next best thing - cuz it is happening in JaJa ~

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laurel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything criss ....

we just have to have a "loosey goosey" itinerary in place ... so we do not spend too much time asking 'what do you want to do today ??? ... I do not know - what do you want to do???'

sister has endless and boundless energy ... me - not so much ~ specially since I have been feeling poorly this week leading up to our reach.

and Mr. is NOT a plan maker at all ... so - we have all had to step up - chat out what is on our 'wish list' .... so we can make the best use of time.

nuff time in between "activity days" will be spent up in the country with the family and up a bush ... so - our "smell JaJa" time is planned as well .... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] .... a joke ... not really .... so it goes in Jamaica ... the best laid plans can get mashed up - BUT - the up side to that is .... whatever else happens it always the next best thing - cuz it is happening in JaJa ~
                            </div></div>

i second that, most of the time that we planned things, they didn't turned out, but something else came pon and made things even better

thats the Jamaican way, gotta survive to live another day.

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]

also, who ever else was wondering about places along long bay, i spoke to mokko this week and he said: 'Me like Long Bay, nice place to relax, have a likkle herb*, haffi Guiness ah chill out, but dat's it, den me a go ah yaad. Me nuh stay ova night inna Long Bay.'

I think that sums it up for me. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] we always felt very safe at Zion as it was private little piece of land, fenced in and lots of tranquility, which is what we are looking for when we go to Ja. (same at mokko's yard) Also, not always that the 'sea cows'/ manatees, will come, but when they do, it's usually around the beginning of rainy season, in May. Sometimes they don't see them at all, depending if they had a hard breeze (hurricane) the season before.

*herb is illegal in ja, just a friendly reminder, fe any new b [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                            http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2122/event.png
                            My Trip Reports &amp; photos

Comment

an addition to the long bay piece . . . since i started staying with free i at zion country in 1999 he has been saying the same thing, enjoy long bay for the beach (daylight hours) then head to safe ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, who ever else was wondering about places along long bay, i spoke to mokko this week and he said: 'Me like Long Bay, nice place to relax, have a likkle herb*, haffi Guiness ah chill out, but dat's it, den me a go ah yaad. Me nuh stay ova night inna Long Bay.'

</div></div>

not trying to scare people off long bay but it has had a lot of (coke) related issues . . .

christmas 2006 my two female friends stayed at a guest house across from sea scape, (the name escapes me right now) . . . anyway to make a long story short, they were alone at the guest house, one woman was asleep and had her door closed. the other one was smoking in a dark room and her door faced the bathroom. she was close to falling asleep when she spotted a hand holding a machette INSIDE THE BATHROOM and he just pulled off the shutters . . . my friend took a chair and kept hitting in that direction until he dropped the machette and ran . . . .

my friends were unbelievably freaked out by the incident and there has been a lot more that people are too scared to report.
                              better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                              april 04, 2012

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JitterBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">an addition to the long bay piece . . . since i started staying with free i at zion country in 1999 he has been saying the same thing, enjoy long bay for the beach (daylight hours) then head to safe ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, who ever else was wondering about places along long bay, i spoke to mokko this week and he said: 'Me like Long Bay, nice place to relax, have a likkle herb*, haffi Guiness ah chill out, but dat's it, den me a go ah yaad. Me nuh stay ova night inna Long Bay.'

</div></div>

not trying to scare people off long bay but it has had a lot of (coke) related issues . . .

christmas 2006 my two female friends stayed at a guest house across from sea scape, (the name escapes me right now) . . . anyway to make a long story short, they were alone at the guest house, one woman was asleep and had her door closed. the other one was smoking in a dark room and her door faced the bathroom. she was close to falling asleep when she spotted a hand holding a machette INSIDE THE BATHROOM and he just pulled off the shutters . . . my friend took a chair and kept hitting in that direction until he dropped the machette and ran . . . .

my friends were unbelievably freaked out by the incident and there has been a lot more that people are too scared to report. </div></div>

I'm getting the picture now. If I stay in Long Bay I will either stay at Henry's or Zion Country.

It would take less than hour to drive from Mokko's to Long Bay?
                                Maybe we'll just stay at Mokko's and go to Long Bay for the day.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X