Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3210
    replied
    Re: ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

Yes, indeed all went well. Andrew was there too at about 9:40AM. He took pictures. She is very grateful. She suffers from lupus and borrowed $500 from a lady to buy medication yesterday. I gave her $500 out of my pocket to reimburse. The cheque of J$51,000 was handed over to her with the least fanfare.
    I had a long chat on the phone last evening planning for today. She gave me a pair of sandals that she makes. The machine she wants will smooth out roughness and make product more marketable.
    I told her about jamaicans.com and how us as a group read about her plight from an article by Andrew Smith and highlighted by Tuff Gong on a thread in Politrix. She understood that through the kindness of jamaicans.com contributors, she became a beneficiary. I told her that many are concerned and would help with children`s school fees. I told her many members of our site are visitors who make Negril a second home away from home. She said that her late baby father was from Green Island, Hanover. She was aware of visitors who she thought might be interested in her production, leather sandals as may be viewed in a picture posted by e-mail to 2 of our administrators who have my consent to post on the board since I too take up some bytes in it. She
    also invited members who are interested to come view her sandals when next in Kingston.
    BND1999, I am sure will be there next visit.
    Others who are interested can always PM me and I will arrange a meeting with Diana.
    She also gave me consent to share cell # with whosoever wished to speak with her.
    Andrew said he would do a follow up story in the Gleaner so that all will be informed to the progress you all helped make.
    btw. Andrew was promoted to his position of photo-journalist editor at the Gleaner. So hats off to Andrew Smith who Diana adores and who has by the might of his pen brought to light the plight of a lone Jamaican woman up against all odds to survive and to raise her children and those of her landlady who is unable to be with them.
    12 children in all, 9 her own and 3 for the landlady.
    Hats off to Tuff Gong whose persistent social posts have broken through and touched the warm hearts of jamaicans.com
    Hats off to the administrators, SistaD and Xavier in particular who invested me to represent you at Diana`s benefit.
    Last but not least, hats off and 3 cheers to the membership of jamaicans.com who as a collective body, rallied to the assistance of a sister to help her get back on some sort of level after being down in poverty for too long, not because of a depraved mind but because of unfortunate circumstances.
    Stand tall jamaicans.com You have done Jamaica and the world proud, a service to all who wish it to be Jamaican.
    Thanks too for the opportunity to be a part of you all.
    Nuff said! Peace and Justice be with you all.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by SistahD:
    [qb] The presentation has been made (today) -details to follow!

Special thanks to ((((((((Q3210))))))))) for his local persistence and dedication to finalize this project on our behalf - we certainly could not have done this without you!!

And to all of YOU who have helped keep us strong throughout this endeavour, and who have donated or assisted in other ways, thank you as well.

(((Xavier))) yuh knoa!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/qb]
    Good glad to know that the lady finally get the likkle smalls.

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

The presentation has been made (today) -details to follow!

Special thanks to ((((((((Q3210))))))))) for his local persistence and dedication to finalize this project on our behalf - we certainly could not have done this without you!!

And to all of YOU who have helped keep us strong throughout this endeavour, and who have donated or assisted in other ways, thank you as well.

(((Xavier))) yuh knoa!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by BND1999:
    [qb] Discouraging... but lets keep positive... we either find her in time and get the funds to her.. or we reroute them to someone equally in need....

[/qb]
    Well it is not such a bad thing if the reason why we cannot find her is because she is doing well, but I suspect that even if she has made some forward progress she could use our little help.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

[qb] ((TG))) Sad to see people trying to help people... and having such great difficulty... even more sad that those who really need the assistance have such difficulty to receive. [/qb]
    That is why we who love it, we who live it and some whe run lef it muss try change it.

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

Discouraging... but lets keep positive... we either find her in time and get the funds to her.. or we reroute them to someone equally in need....

Hold on Q and dont spend the money!!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

((TG))) Sad to see people trying to help people... and having such great difficulty... even more sad that those who really need the assistance have such difficulty to receive.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

[qb] News... I just got off the phone with Mr. Dawkins at the IOJ.

Apparently when we started our original quest last fall, 'Diane' was being given assistance through the Halfway Tree Youth Centre... and has since moved from that area.

I've provided him with (Q's) number... so Q listen for that phone to ring (I just left you a message). Mr. Dawkins will speak with the people at the Halfway Tree Youth Centre and see if they can track 'Diane' and the family... and hopefully resolve this matter today. [/qb]
    Knowing Jamaicans here is what I think is happening the People at the IOJ with other persons reading the story helped this lady out.
    The lady having no cause to think that she would be getting anything else has found a spot to live, picked up her business activity and has gotten back into the daily grind as best she can.

I don't think she would necessarily be calling the IOJ daily to seek funds and the IOJ having to deal with their mission possibly had no time to actively keep up with her, so she has fallen off the radar.

Hopefully we can locate her and will be able to add this little help to whatever she is able to do for herself.

Now all is not loss if we allow ourselves one more month to actively locate her and we cannot then with the members here we can kick the funds into another area of need.

It is not easy to help people in Jamaica because of all the red tape, the broken post office and difficulty of moving around especially in certain areas. Q or Mr. Smith cannot just walk into certain neighbourhoods asking about this family.

I suggest that if we don't find her in two weeks we send a letter to the editor and try a Bawl Out on Laing and Company (that about all that 3 hour of trash is good for anyway).

There is a story here that will illustrate just how difficult it is to organize and help needy people in Jamaica unless you are a big registered charity like Food For the Poor:

Still no help for acid victim

By LEIGHTON WILLIAMS, Staff Reporter

http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/...ews/news2.html

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

Great idea ((Tuff Gong))... I am with you on that!!!!

Also thanks for the update Sistah.. appreciate all of your involvement as well...

and Q.....you know i think the world of you... and greatly appreciate the time you take from your busy life and job to handle this.....I hope this is all finalized soon..... if i could help more in the leg work.. you know that i would..

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

News... I just got off the phone with Mr. Dawkins at the IOJ.

Apparently when we started our original quest last fall, 'Diane' was being given assistance through the Halfway Tree Youth Centre... and has since moved from that area.

I've provided him with (Q's) number... so Q listen for that phone to ring (I just left you a message). Mr. Dawkins will speak with the people at the Halfway Tree Youth Centre and see if they can track 'Diane' and the family... and hopefully resolve this matter today.

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

I like that idea as well ((TG)) I think it would be great if the 'Sons' fund concept could be used ongoing to help other 'sons'.

Leave a comment:

• Q3210
    replied

Sounds sane and sound, Tuffy. If the beneficiary does well and doesn`t squander, it will give encouragement to all to continue helping until some break even and profit is gained by the lucky person(s).
    What we needed from the begining was an administrator.
    Thanks for the emailing Tuffy. Glad to have you guys around, SistaD too I hope we`ll hear something positive soon.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

BND, SisD, Q, and other interested parties, I am pretty sure we would not mind Q hanging onto the funds a little longer just to see if Mr. Smith could get it together.

This is an aside, not really for this matter, but since it is in my head I might as well say it.
    If we ever have an opportunity to do anything like this again, I would like to see a sort of Grameen Bank or revolving loan scheme, where we raise some seed money, identify an individual with an economic project that needs financing, give a loan to get off it off the ground.
    That project will then put some of the earnings back into the micro-bank, which will then be ready to tackle the next need.
    We could partner with an established bank, lending institution or charity to make more capable.

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

((Q)) the intention is for a private presentation... the main reason Andrew is included is that a) he helped us with the background in initiating the project and b) because it was his story that brought it to our attention, he wants to do a follow-up story on the 'results' (I would imagine showing how their life has improved or progressed with a little help and hope)

Leave a comment:

• Q3210
    replied

If any fanfare presentation, please let the beneficiary be not made public, but for the possible administrator.
    Hmmm!
    Wonders why would there be any volunteer administrator who`s time would be the 1st cost.
    Andrew Smith seems utterly clueless.
    He promises to have solutions `tomorrrow` and it never comes. He too is in a quagmire as what to do with funds. Anti climax so far after all the hoopla.

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X