Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SistahD
    replied
    Re: ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

Evening ((TuffGong)) ((BND)) ((Q))

As I mentionned to Q3210 earlier this evening, I will try make some phone calls in the morning to the parties TG has indicated to speed this up and get the 'presentation' finalized.

I agree, the funds were solicited and collected for the benefit and purposes of one family's needs and that should be maintained. For a variety of reasons, I also think it unwise to just hand over the cash without ensuring the funds collected are applied towards their intended purpose.

Will fill you in on any progress tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by BND1999:
    [qb] Agreed Tuff Gong..

No don't ask Q or anyone else to go around doing anything else..just pass on the funds...[/qb]
    I wouldn't quite as dry, but believe me it is very difficult to get things done even though it is not a great big place.

Mr. Q just emailed me he told me of more difficulty trying to get co-coordinated with Mr. Smith so I sent a letter to everyone whom I had a contact with. Here is the letter (I hope it causes some positive movement.)

Good Day Sirs and Madam,

We are trying to find Ms Diane, the lady mentioned in Mr. Smiths Article Sons in the Street for which donations was collected for on

http://www.jamaicans.com/

The donations are now in Jamaica and we would like some help in getting it to the Ms Diane.

Regards,

xxxx

cc:

Andrew Smith

Celestine Thomas

Mr. Colin Neita or Mr. Howard Dawkins (IOJ)

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

Agreed Tuff Gong..

No don't ask Q or anyone else to go around doing anything else..just pass on the funds...

the money was collected for her.. and it SHOULD go to her.. I guess there is no real way to verify what she uses it for.....i just thought in my mind it was buying such and such..... maybe i was simple minded in that part of my thinking...

i think at this point.. the money just needs to be transferred hands.. and Q out of the loop... unfair to keep him hanging like that.. and the woman too who awaits it..

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

[qb]
    Originally posted by Tuff Gong:
    [qb]

I think the lady was buying her machine and knew that she wanted building materials before we ever got involved, read the story.

Okay so what if she has acquired all of the above, and we are sure she has made some progress, as there is a follow up report that tells us she is back making slippers. If this is so do we take the money back or do we still give it to her?
    The money is already in excess of what she said she needed, so what do we do with the rest?

Next question, if she wanted to use it otherwise couldn't she then sell the machine and building materials?

Other questions: Isn't a Credit Union Account not a good idea?
    BND when in Jamaica on vacation it is completely different from when you live and work in Jamaica. Who is going to compensate Mr. Smith and Mr. Q for the entire running around necessary?

Well since you volunteered it might be a good idea if you can build your next trip around it, then you would see how difficult is to do good in Jamaica. [/qb]
    Tuffy.. dont get all huffy.... I know how difficult it is to do good in jamaica.. I did not just fall off the apple cart.....and I never have thought me as a tourist is anything like living and working there... you should know I am not that simple minded.... and remember i was there when Q was trying to get this going.. so believe me i know first hand his woes with it..

I agree the credit union account is ridiculous... I am not saying not to give the woman the money...but i also am not so sure i like just handing over dollars... Id rather pay the school costs in advance for her kids for however many months .. school uniforms..... or see the money invested in building materials for her home if she already has the machine and leather....or buy her lots more leather to keep making the slippers...

I suppose we should have figured this out a bit more before we collected the money....

as for time running around... what do you mean? Q driving to get the money and talking to the guy on the phone and going to the meeting?.... heck if we collected more than we needed then pay him for his time.. i am ok with that.... i thought it was part of his volunteerism to the board.. if its time away from work then pay him.. i am ok either way.....

Also if we have more than we need I am sure there are plenty of folks with kids needing school paid for... school supplies .. books.... its easy to get these things and donate them... maybe not so easy to make a public relations event out of it but that part i think is wrong...

peace... [/qb]
    No, no, no this was not a general charity it was for the lady. We collected the money for her and we decided to give her the money. I am more than willing to give money to any other charity similar to this but this money was collected for this lady regardless of how much it came to.

What we should do is take a vote and see what the other members think. Ask Mr. Q to do a poll.
    There is no scope to start running around divvying up this money by paying school fees, buying materials, etc.

Who is going to administer that on an ongoing basis? Persons at the Institute of Jamaica's Half Way Tree Junior Center had indicated that they would help, but it seems time and circumstances has changed and it looks like that is not going to happen, so who it going to take on the management of just Ja$60,000?

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

Originally posted by Tuff Gong:
    [qb]

I think the lady was buying her machine and knew that she wanted building materials before we ever got involved, read the story.

Okay so what if she has acquired all of the above, and we are sure she has made some progress, as there is a follow up report that tells us she is back making slippers. If this is so do we take the money back or do we still give it to her?
    The money is already in excess of what she said she needed, so what do we do with the rest?

Next question, if she wanted to use it otherwise couldn't she then sell the machine and building materials?

BND when in Jamaica on vacation it is completely different from when you live and work in Jamaica. Who is going to compensate Mr. Smith and Mr. Q for the entire running around necessary?

Well since you volunteered it might be a good idea if you can build your next trip around it, then you would see how difficult is to do good in Jamaica. [/qb]
    Tuffy.. dont get all huffy.... I know how difficult it is to do good in jamaica.. I did not just fall off the apple cart.....and I never have thought me as a tourist is anything like living and working there... you should know I am not that simple minded.... and remember i was there when Q was trying to get this going.. so believe me i know first hand his woes with it..

I agree the credit union account is ridiculous... I am not saying not to give the woman the money...but i also am not so sure i like just handing over dollars... Id rather pay the school costs in advance for her kids for however many months .. school uniforms..... or see the money invested in building materials for her home if she already has the machine and leather....or buy her lots more leather to keep making the slippers...

I suppose we should have figured this out a bit more before we collected the money....

as for time running around... what do you mean? Q driving to get the money and talking to the guy on the phone and going to the meeting?.... heck if we collected more than we needed then pay him for his time.. i am ok with that.... i thought it was part of his volunteerism to the board.. if its time away from work then pay him.. i am ok either way.....

Also if we have more than we need I am sure there are plenty of folks with kids needing school paid for... school supplies .. books.... its easy to get these things and donate them... maybe not so easy to make a public relations event out of it but that part i think is wrong...

peace...

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

[qb] NO I disagree.... I dont think the money should just be handed over.... for those who gave.. it was implied it would be used to get materials to rebuild her home or to buy a machine for her to make leather goods to put her kids through school and keep food on the table......to do anything different is not in good faith.... and its why many fail to give to charties to begin with.. because they never know where the money goes....

if you hand it over who is to know if it will be used for this at all.. on the other hand a big production to hand it over is a bit ludicrous.. why do you want to highlight it to others around her she is getting something.... that attention is no good for her.. maybe for us.. but do we need that?? I say no... it's for her well being not ours..

I say go get her the machine.. or building materials.. heck Q i'll come back and dweet with you.... [/qb]

Well since you volunteered it might be a good idea if you can build your next trip around it, then you would see how difficult is to do good in Jamaica.

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

NO I disagree.... I dont think the money should just be handed over.... for those who gave.. it was implied it would be used to get materials to rebuild her home or to buy a machine for her to make leather goods to put her kids through school and keep food on the table......to do anything different is not in good faith.... and its why many fail to give to charties to begin with.. because they never know where the money goes....

if you hand it over who is to know if it will be used for this at all.. on the other hand a big production to hand it over is a bit ludicrous.. why do you want to highlight it to others around her she is getting something.... that attention is no good for her.. maybe for us.. but do we need that?? I say no... it's for her well being not ours..

I say go get her the machine.. or building materials.. heck Q i'll come back and dweet with you....

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by Q3210:
    [qb] Tuffy, you know you`re right. andrew smith is in a stupor as to what to do.
    I am tired of calling him asking who to make the cheque payable to. He has no answers. [/qb]
    Just arrange a meeting with her the City of Kingston Credit Union or Churches Credit Union, open an account on her behalf and present it to her.
    It is unlikely that this will be a continuing effort from this end, so to set up fund, etc to me is just too much Pompt and Circumstance.

This is no negative reflection on Mr. Smith's or your efforts, so don't take it as that. I just think it is best to let the lady benefit from the money as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Q3210
    replied

Tuffy, you know you`re right. andrew smith is in a stupor as to what to do.
    I am tired of calling him asking who to make the cheque payable to. He has no answers.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by SistahD:
    [qb] **UPDATE**

For those of you who may be wondering if the presentation was completed yet, it hasn't, but not for lack of trying.

1 - The funds collected have been totalled and delivered in Jamaica (but not after PayPal and the JA Bank/gov't got their pieces

2 - The Gleaner Journalist had been covering the events in Haiti, and only recently returned to Jamaica and has been in touch with us as well as Q3210

3 - He and Q are trying to arrange with the IOJ to fulfill their initial level of assistance to supervise the disbursement of funds to the family -and to receive further monies which may be sent over the course of time on an individual basis.

We are awaiting word from them with the final date and details. [/qb]
    Why not just give the ooman har money and mek har do what she want to with it?

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

**UPDATE**

For those of you who may be wondering if the presentation was completed yet, it hasn't, but not for lack of trying.

1 - The funds collected have been totalled and delivered in Jamaica (but not after PayPal and the JA Bank/gov't got their pieces

2 - The Gleaner Journalist had been covering the events in Haiti, and only recently returned to Jamaica and has been in touch with us as well as Q3210

3 - He and Q are trying to arrange with the IOJ to fulfill their initial level of assistance to supervise the disbursement of funds to the family -and to receive further monies which may be sent over the course of time on an individual basis.

We are awaiting word from them with the final date and details.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Yes, Yes, Yes.
    Thanks to all. I hope this lady can get her life back and moving in a postive light.

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

((((Q,sistahd, tuffgong)))) and all those others who reached out..

I am mighty proud to be a part of that group...... just shows what can be done when we all work together......

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

((kumba)) Yes she is aware... when TuffGong originally presented the Gleaners' story, and we all voiced our concerns and interest to offer some support (financial and other) the journalist approached Diane to discuss with her our intentions.

With her acceptance we proceeded. TG got the IOJ involved, who were able to assist Diane with her medical situation, and get the school aged children enrolled.

We have kept in touch with the journalist since the beginning, providing mutual updates.

He will also be on hand for this presentation, and coordinating the arrangements with Q3210.

*** REMINDER... If anyone has any well-wishes or words of encouragement to send to the family... please email me so I can print and send with the Money Order. (colour and graphics as well)

Leave a comment:

• kthydvs
    replied

I meant to ask SistahD, is this lady aware of this fundraising? if not this is going to come as one big shock for her

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X