Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SistahD
    replied
    Re: ASTON is a 15-year-old with a vicious temper

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/70402-thinking.gif[/img]Wonder how Diana and the family are getting on....

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

(((Englan))) hook him up with (Q3210)

Leave a comment:

• Englan Girl
    replied

Another chance for me to see where my tiny donation has gone towards helping somebody, this time in JA. Thanks to all of you that raised Diane's story and kept rolling with it

By the way Diane's slippers look better than some of those I've seen this side now that the sun is out so I'll pick up a few when I reach in December. Been many years since I bought them in JA.

My brother is thinking of reaching that side in the next few weeks, I wonder if........

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

((((remo)))) ((((libby)))) ((((BND))))

Leave a comment:

• libbyT
    replied

This is soooo wonderful...may blessing reach everyone involved

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by remo:
    [qb] Well done Tuff Gong,SistahD,Q3210 [/qb]
    Remo well done to yourself, you were there at the start as well and took some of the brusings.

Leave a comment:

• remo
    replied

Well done Tuff Gong,SistahD,Q3210

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

Originally posted by Tuff Gong:
    [qb] Peace, Light and Love, I (as some folks well know) do not like charities simply because they don't solve the macro issues, but sometimes a little targeted help goes a long way and if there ever comes an opportunity to do this again for another living being I will help in as little or as much as I am able. [/qb]
    Agree and am with you.. count me in...

Since a very small child i was raised to understand and groomed to know that i am to partake in being charitable..it was my social duty to do so... and while it does not solve the macro issues as you have said.. i have seen it first hand.. countless of times help so many on an individual and even community level....and so for that one person or community.. it's a lift.. a chance.. a possibility...... good deeds open the heart.. and spread to others.. give us faith in humanity....

(((tuffy))) For a guy so tuff.. you also have a tender soul.. thanks for bringing this story to light.. and enabling some of us to be a part of this.... would gladly participate with you and others again...

Leave a comment:

• Q3210
    replied

Thanks Tuffy, it is indeed an honour to know that at least 2 of my posts deserve such commendation from icons like you.
    I too believe at solving problems at the root. Most social problems are political by cause.
    We however do help a little by the band-aid effect of targeting and direct helping.
    The best that can happen, is for Diana to be prudent and hopeful that her investment will grow rather than diminish.
    However, she too is a victim of the politics of this country. It will take a lot of character on her part to ride the waves and keep her nose above water, as I personally too am challenged to do.
    What needs to be done by the will of the people if so God forbids, that we lobby for governance of this country. We lobby for justice. We lobby for financial management. We lobby for economic development. We lobby for a honest and national Government, rather than a partisan and self denying shoot in the foot one that we have had for far too long.

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

Well said (((TG)))

Big thanks to SisD who busted her A... on this one
    I almost prefer somebody else's comment recently... something about how mi baxide tighten up soh! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70365-flirt.gif[/img]

I definitely will be on the bandwagon when there's another opportunity to help lift someone up, all some people need is a little support and faith.

Leave a comment:

• Tuff Gong
    replied

Originally posted by Q3210:
    [qb] Yes, indeed all went well. Andrew was there too at about 9:40AM. He took pictures. She is very grateful. She suffers from lupus and borrowed $500 from a lady to buy medication yesterday. I gave her $500 out of my pocket to reimburse. The cheque of J$51,000 was handed over to her with the least fanfare.
    I had a long chat on the phone last evening planning for today. She gave me a pair of sandals that she makes. The machine she wants will smooth out roughness and make product more marketable.
    I told her about jamaicans.com and how us as a group read about her plight from an article by Andrew Smith and highlighted by Tuff Gong on a thread in Politrix. She understood that through the kindness of jamaicans.com contributors, she became a beneficiary. I told her that many are concerned and would help with children`s school fees. I told her many members of our site are visitors who make Negril a second home away from home. She said that her late baby father was from Green Island, Hanover. She was aware of visitors who she thought might be interested in her production, leather sandals as may be viewed in a picture posted by e-mail to 2 of our administrators who have my consent to post on the board since I too take up some bytes in it. She
    also invited members who are interested to come view her sandals when next in Kingston.
    BND1999, I am sure will be there next visit.
    Others who are interested can always PM me and I will arrange a meeting with Diana.
    She also gave me consent to share cell # with whosoever wished to speak with her.
    Andrew said he would do a follow up story in the Gleaner so that all will be informed to the progress you all helped make.
    btw. Andrew was promoted to his position of photo-journalist editor at the Gleaner. So hats off to Andrew Smith who Diana adores and who has by the might of his pen brought to light the plight of a lone Jamaican woman up against all odds to survive and to raise her children and those of her landlady who is unable to be with them.
    12 children in all, 9 her own and 3 for the landlady.
    Hats off to Tuff Gong who`s persistent social posts have broken through and touched the warm hearts of jamaicans.com
    Hats off to the administrators, SistaD and Xavier in particular who invested me to represent you at Diana`s benefit.
    Last but not least, hats off and 3 cheers to the membership of jamaicans.com who as a collective body, rallied to the assistance of a sister to help her get back on some sort of level after being down in poverty for too long, not because of a depraved mind but because of unfortunate circumstances.
    Stand tall jamaicans.com You have done Jamaica and the world proud, a service to all who wish it to be Jamaican.
    Thanks too for the opportunity to be a part of you all.
    Nuff said! Peace and Justice be with you all. [/qb]
    In all the time I have been on the Board and have criticized you this is your best writing ever, (well other than the piece you wrote in BNDís Trip Report).
    Anyway great to finally see the lady, good to know that she is still doing what she does best (making slippers), one hopes that sales will go gangbusters, health will improve, living conditions will improve and her kids will turn out well.

Must thank Andrew, who I don't know, but I felt.
    Must thank Q with the numbers because I know Jamaica is very difficult at this time.
    Have to thank the people at the Institute of Jamaica Junior Center (IOJ).
    Thanks for all who read, gave sympathy and/or contributions.
    Big thanks to SisD who busted her A... on this one.
    Major thanks to Xman who must be a Saint if there ever was one.

Peace, Light and Love, I (as some folks well know) do not like charities simply because they don't solve the macro issues, but sometimes a little targeted help goes a long way and if there ever comes an opportunity to do this again for another living being I will help in as little or as much as I am able.

Leave a comment:

• Ochigal
    replied

I have tears in my eyes...so glad to have been a very small part of this and so glad to see it come to fruition.

to Tuff Gong, Q3210 and SistaD....and to all of JAMAICANS.COM

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

((((Sistah, Tuffy, Q))))

the picture overwhelms me... makes me feel so good inside to see this come to fruition....

Leave a comment:

• SistahD
    replied

((((Q)))) Very well detailed! Wish I could have joined you and Andrew today, but so life goes! Also wish I could have posted earlier... but technical difficulties prevailed.

I was thrilled to receive your picture with 'Diana' courtesy of Andrew Smith today, and it is with great pleasure that I post for our members - please note the lovely handmade leather sandals that Q is holding [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I will expect every ja.com member and lurker to procure their own supply over the next year! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[IMG]

I'm glad we will be able to keep in touch with 'Diana' over the coming months.

Special thanks once again to Andrew Smith, Journalist and Photographer (The Gleaner) whose article brought this family to our attention (under TG's diligent eye) and without whom we certainly would not have been in a position to follow through - especially under the circumstances of privacy, and "Diana's" relocation etc.

Andrew.... I will be writing to you shortly, in response to your recent email.

Leave a comment:

• BND1999
    replied

WOW WOW and more.. Q.. you said it so beautifully....

thank you for being there and to see this through.. and you can surely count that on my next visit.. id love to go visit her....

Glad i could be a small part of this...

thanks tuffy and Sistah too....

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X