Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Dean!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ernesto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Portland Point is in the northern eyewall right now as seen on radar from Cuba:

Radar Loop </div></div>
    That is not the eye wall. The eye wall is the circumfrence of the eye. That is where the strongest winds are. they eye and ofciurse the eye wall is offshore probably iout about in the pedro cays, since the are 30 moles offshore.
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
      That is not the eye wall. The eye wall is the circumfrence of the eye. That is where the strongest winds are. they eye and ofciurse the eye wall is offshore probably iout about in the pedro cays, since the are 30 moles offshore. </div></div>

Sir,

That is the outer eyewall, onshore at Portland Point. There is an inner eyewall offshore as well, but the winds are not as strong there. I refer you to the 5 pm discussion from the National Hurricane Center :

"CONCENTRIC EYEWALLS ARE APPARENT IN MICROWAVE...CONVENTIONAL SATELLITE...AND AIRCRAFT DATA...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS NOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE OUTER EYEWALL."

Portland Point is getting hit with the strongest winds that Dean has to offer...right now.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ernesto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
        That is not the eye wall. The eye wall is the circumfrence of the eye. That is where the strongest winds are. they eye and ofciurse the eye wall is offshore probably iout about in the pedro cays, since the are 30 moles offshore. </div></div>

Sir,

That is the outer eyewall, onshore at Portland Point. There is an inner eyewall offshore as well, but the winds are not as strong there. I refer you to the 5 pm discussion from the National Hurricane Center :

"CONCENTRIC EYEWALLS ARE APPARENT IN MICROWAVE...CONVENTIONAL SATELLITE...AND AIRCRAFT DATA...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS NOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE OUTER EYEWALL."

Portland Point is getting hit with the strongest winds that Dean has to offer...right now.

</div></div>
        OK first let me explain. Concentric eyewalls are transient. Rve if th eouter eyewall is powerful There is never enoug energy to support it.
        Usuallt whenever this happens it is not even visible to the normal ,but on the ibfrared wave length. thios is suggestiung that the storm may be ready to do one of it's miracle hops ittjey have ben known to do in th evisinity of Jamaica. concentri eyewalls is evidence of a division of th eenergy.
        If th eouter eyewall becomes stronger the energy supply will be deminished. since it derives it's from the very warm and clear center. &gt;as soon as this happens either a disorganization or a dissipitation of th epresenteye,and reformation of a new eye i another location. That is th ephenemenon that is called 'hop'.
        So lets see if it will do that.
        Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

sorry fe those on the southern side..
          but for those on the Northern side of ja..according to me cousin that me just call..
          it a rain, and it very breezy, but no flooding..
          and fe St Ann, with bad drainage, dat very good..
          she said that the power is turned off, and the stores empty fe troo,..
          Unno all need fe seh a prayer doe fe those out there feeling this.., really really tek a moment and pray.. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif[/img]

Comment

If you look at the Cuban radar loop you will notice that the inner eyewall is not a complete circle, while the outer eyewall is and it has stronger radar returns. This suggests that stronger winds are being brought to the surface in the outer eyewall than in the inner eyewall. If the inner eyewall had as well defined a structure as the outer eyewall, the winds would be stronger there, because of conservation of angular momentum (smaller radius of rotation = faster rotation).

This hurricane's eye will wobble...what they call trochoidal wobbles. The Hurricane Center discussion from last night also mentions this:

ASIDE FROM THE TROCHOIDAL WOBBLES THAT ARE COMMON WITH SUCH INTENSE HURRICANES...THE MOTION HAS BEEN BETWEEN WEST AND WEST-NORTHWEST OVER THE PAST 12-24 HOURS.

But as you say, these wobbles (or hops) can be important in a case like this where the core of the storm approaches the coast.

What I can tell you from that radar loop is that Portland Point got hit very, very hard just now.

Comment

Lord mi know mi should go to bed
              But mi sit here with mi hand pon mi head
              Mi ears tune into the radio
              And mi realize Dean naw show wi nuh favour
              Yes to di the south the eye shift
              But that nuh stops roofs from lift
              In Liganeau a house drop
              And all now the rain and breeze wonít stop
              Manchester seem to be getting it hard
              And that near near to my parentís yard
              Di last time mi talk to mi family dem safe and sound
              But nuff nuff tree drop to the ground
              Mi only give tanks nobody nuh dead
              But lawd Dean is all and more than mi dread
              Lawd how mi fe sleep
              When wid every new bulletin my heart leap
              Mi hafi stay up all night
              And keep watch til morning light
              And hope seh onuh all batten down
              And nothing more drop to di ground!

Monday 20th August, 2006, 12:40 am

Comment

I am listening to Nationwide and I cannot beleive gunmen are out shooting when people need to be rescused. This is crazy and really sad. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
                Out of Many One People Online
                http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

said station had someone call in to say that the cell tower in St Mary is down so calls will not go thru

juss updated that the gunplay is not widespread, so people abroad shud not get scared...they say that it is isolated
                  u so fake, even China denied mekking u

Comment

Latest wind reports:

Kingston 80 mph sustained and Lionel Town 100 mph.

Lots of street flooding in Kingston...

Update...peak wind gust was 138 mph in Kingston (!) with sustained winds over 110 mph. That's worse than Gilbert...

Comment

Comment

Photos from the gleaner storm blog.

A practically empty shelter

source
                        7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Comment

If you are planning to assist Jamaica please consider only the following items.

- non-perishable food items
                          - batteries
                          - flashlights
                          - first aid kits
                          - battery operated radios
                          - bottled water.

Once the after-storm assessment is complete more items will be considered. We will provide that list. Thank
                          Out of Many One People Online
                          http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

Comment

CNN(Newsroom) in Jamaica in a few moments live
                              Keep the faith . .

Comment

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X