Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane Dean!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q3210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poor Magic! Roots a call yu Massa God. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70361-embarassed.gif[/img] your right i shouldn't have laid that on him

so what you think Q [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70365-flirt.gif[/img]
    Keep the faith . .

Comment

If yu connecting to Hotlanta from somewhere else it would be rough for you if Dean hit or passed nearby as forecasted on Sunday.
      I can only hope Dean doesnt come too close so that you can land in Jamaica on Monday

Thats about as best near to God I can get.
      Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q3210</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BND1999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(((Q)))) praying dean slows down.. moves off course....

keep ear out for the phone... </div></div>

Slows down, no Nina. The longer it hangs the more damage potentially. The speed it moves is different than the speed of the winds that circulate. </div></div>

excuse my fopah.. how do you spell that?? not slow down to do damage.. i mean the catergory be diminished... either way.. not near you or jamaica.. or any one else either....
        A positive attitude might not solve your problems but will annoy others to make it worth the effort

Comment

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img] Magic you can come back [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Keep the faith . .

Comment

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R00TS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just changed my flights from saturday to monday and now I'm
              questioning the judgement on that...will the airport be closed and my backside stuck in hotlanta? Magic reassure me [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif[/img] </div></div>

Are you flying into Town or MoBay?
              If the forecast holds the storm will move west by Monday.
              Sangster should reopen soon. Manley will too if the Palisadoes road is not mash up again like after Ivan. And that's hard to predics.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q3210</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is moving very fast. The upper level winds must be pretty strong and without much shear in order to keep the storm developing while maintaining it's speed.

And that only makes it worse. Not only less time to prepare for Dean, but also more wind intensity.

If the hurricane has 100mph sustained winds, and it's moving at 23mph, the ppl get lick with 123mph winds. </div></div>

Thats sounds more logical if there`s a direct hit with the eye passing directly over. The sustained winds I thought were only those that the pangs in circulation spun at. </div></div>

The storms in the Northern Hemisphere spin counter-clockwise (just like the joggers in your park Q) hmmm. I wonder if joggers in the souther hemisphere jog clockwise like their cyclones? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] Cha! off topic.

The stronger the storm, the more defined and larger the "eye" there is little wind in the eye. The eye wall is where the strongest winds are in the hurricane. As you move away from the eye, the winds diminish.

So if the storm is coming East-West, and you are North if the eye, you will get a higher wind speed due to it's movement (100+23=123)
                If you in to the South of a Westbound sotrm you will get less wind (100-23=77)

There are countless other factors involved too. For example squall lines of 'embedded' thundersotrms will add to the storm's power. Topography plays a large part too. Mountains will 'compress' the storm on the windward side and speed up the winds. The leeward side will enjoy calmer conditions.
                Land will diminish the storm's power, but if it is a large land mass. Small flat islands have little effect, large flat islands or mountainous islands will disrupt it more.

The hurricane feeds on warm poist air, and is sustained by lack of shear in the upper atmosphere and steered by winds aloft.
                To break up a storm it must encounter cold water, large land mass, or wind shear on a large scale.

Comment

HURRICANE DEAN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 16A
                  NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042007
                  800 AM AST FRI AUG 17 2007

...DEAN POUNDING MARTINIQUE AND DOMINICA...HEADING FOR THE EASTERN
                  CARIBBEAN SEA...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR ST. LUCIA... MARTINIQUE...
                  DOMINICA...AND GUADELOUPE AND ITS DEPENDENCIES.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE U.S. VIRGIN
                  ISLANDS AND PUERTO RICO. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING ALSO REMAINS IN
                  EFFECT FOR THE FOLLOWING ISLANDS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES...GRENADA
                  AND ITS DEPENDENCIES...SABA...ST. EUSTATIUS...MONTSERRAT...
                  ANTIGUA...NEVIS...ST KITTS...BARBUDA...ST. MAARTEN...AND ANGUILLA
                  AND THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTH COAST OF THE
                  DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FROM CABO ENGANO TO THE HAITI/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
                  BORDER. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS
                  ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

AT 800 AM AST...1200Z...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR
                  BARBADOS...ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES BEEN DISCONTINUED.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE CENTRAL AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN...INCLUDING
                  JAMAICA AND THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS
                  OF DEAN.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
                  PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 800 AM AST...1200Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE DEAN WAS LOCATED BY
                  AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT NEAR LATITUDE 14.4 NORTH...
                  LONGITUDE 61.7 WEST OR 50 MILES...80 KM WEST-SOUTHWEST OF
                  MARTINIQUE.

DEAN IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 23 MPH...37 KM/HR...AND THIS
                  GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH SOME DECREASE IN FORWARD
                  SPEED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS
                  . THIS MOTION SHOULD TAKE THE
                  CENTER OF DEAN AWAY FROM THE LESSER ANTILLES LATER TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 100 MPH...160 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
                  GUSTS. DEAN IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE
                  ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
                  SCALE. STRONGER WINDS...ESPECIALLY IN GUSTS...ARE LIKELY
                  OVER ELEVATED TERRAIN NEAR THE PATH OF THE CENTER. SOME
                  STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM
                  THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
                  MILES...220 KM. FORT-DE-FRANCE ON MARTINIQUE RECENTLY REPORTED A
                  WIND GUST OF 87 MPH...143 KM/HR...WHILE DOMINICA REPORTED A WIND
                  GUST OF 64 MPH...104 KM/HR.

A RECONNAISSANCE PLANE JUST MEASURED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF
                  970 MB...28.64 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...
                  ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...IS POSSIBLE
                  NEAR THE CENTER OF DEAN.

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM
                  AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES IN MOUNTAINOUS AREAS...ARE POSSIBLE IN
                  ASSOCIATION WITH DEAN IN THE LESSER ANTILLES. ACROSS PUERTO
                  RICO...STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED...WITH
                  MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 5 INCHES. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE
                  LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES.

REPEATING THE 800 AM AST POSITION...14.4 N...61.7 W. MOVEMENT
                  TOWARD...WEST NEAR 23 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH.
                  MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...970 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
                  1100 AM AST.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manley will too if the Palisadoes road is not mash up again like after Ivan.</div></div>

If it keeps on this course it could really do a number on that road.

Well prayer caused the hurricane to wobble a couple years ago suh dem seh.

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif[/img]
                    It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R00TS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just changed my flights from saturday to monday and now I'm
                      questioning the judgement on that...will the airport be closed and my backside stuck in hotlanta? Magic reassure me [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif[/img] </div></div>

Are you flying into Town or MoBay?
                      If the forecast holds the storm will move west by Monday.
                      Sangster should reopen soon. Manley will too if the Palisadoes road is not mash up again like after Ivan. And that's hard to predics.

Keep your fingers crossed. </div></div>

coming into Mobay...Thanks Magic
                      Keep the faith . .

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Q3210</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is moving very fast. The upper level winds must be pretty strong and without much shear in order to keep the storm developing while maintaining it's speed.

And that only makes it worse. Not only less time to prepare for Dean, but also more wind intensity.

If the hurricane has 100mph sustained winds, and it's moving at 23mph, the ppl get lick with 123mph winds. </div></div>

Thats sounds more logical if there`s a direct hit with the eye passing directly over. The sustained winds I thought were only those that the pangs in circulation spun at. </div></div>

The storms in the Northern Hemisphere spin counter-clockwise (just like the joggers in your park Q) hmmm. I wonder if joggers in the souther hemisphere jog clockwise like their cyclones? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] Cha! off topic.

The stronger the storm, the more defined and larger the "eye" there is little wind in the eye. The eye wall is where the strongest winds are in the hurricane. As you move away from the eye, the winds diminish.

So if the storm is coming East-West, and you are North if the eye, you will get a higher wind speed due to it's movement (100+23=123)
                        If you in to the South of a Westbound sotrm you will get less wind (100-23=77)

There are countless other factors involved too. For example squall lines of 'embedded' thundersotrms will add to the storm's power. Topography plays a large part too. Mountains will 'compress' the storm on the windward side and speed up the winds. The leeward side will enjoy calmer conditions.
                        Land will diminish the storm's power, but if it is a large land mass. Small flat islands have little effect, large flat islands or mountainous islands will disrupt it more.

The hurricane feeds on warm poist air, and is sustained by lack of shear in the upper atmosphere and steered by winds aloft.
                        To break up a storm it must encounter cold water, large land mass, or wind shear on a large scale. </div></div>

Man, I love that explanation. I`ll use it as reference to big up I man argument amongst muh peers.
                        Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

Hurricane Dean & Jamaica - Contacts, Aid and Drop Off

ARIZONA/NEW MEXICO/TEXAS
                          Jamaica Foundation of Houston - Andy Adams
                          [email protected]
                          E-Mail: [email protected]
                          Telephone: 713-772-4456
                          Fax: 713-785-4095

ARKANSAS/OKLAHOMA/TENNESSEE
                          Jamaican Diaspora Tennessee - Janet Brown
                          6150595-1454
                          [email protected]
                          Out of Many One People Online
                          http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

Re: Hurricane Dean & Jamaica - Contacts, Aid and Drop Off

merged topic from GD into this one.
                            If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                            We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

excellent veiw here
                              http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/loop-wv.html
                              Keep the faith . .

Comment

Collection points in Orlando for Donations.

QUICK SHIP CARIBBEAN SERVICES (formerly known as Findlay's Shipping)
                                2153 W. Colonial Dr. (In the Magic Mall)
                                Orlando, Fl. 32804
                                Tel: (407) 999-9501

FiWe Caribbean Cuisine,
                                6601 Old Winter Garden Rd.
                                (corner of Hiawassee Rd. & Old Winter Garden Rd (by Walgreens)
                                Tel: (407) 293-6393
                                Out of Many One People Online
                                http://www.jamaicans.com

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X