Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

letter: what is really wrong with Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter: what is really wrong with Jamaica

What is really wrong with Jamaica

THE EDITOR, Madam:

Have you ever asked yourself this most unfortunate question, what is wrong with my country? Most persons can answer this touchy question without hesitating. Nothing is wrong with my country, something is wrong with the thinking of my fellow citizens of this beautiful and glorious isle.

Without any apology the Church, as an institution, has failed miserably.

Why? There are persons in the Church who are engines of hate. They do much more work to promote hate than to promote love and peace. In other words, they are not good examples or role models for the youths. They are wolves in sheep clothing, contributing negatively to the positive development and attitude of the posterical generations.

They might go to church on every required occasion and brag about their attendance, but on that great day, attendance will not be a factor. It's how clean your heart is to your fellow man that what will count.

The violence will not stop if we don't have role models who promote good exemplary behaviour. Being on your church choir does not secure you a place in the 'Pearly Gates' of Heaven when Jesus comes. Some will judge you, like they are the Christ! But, woe be unto to them when the right man comes, the true judge.

This country is known to have the most churches per square mile in the entire world. Why is it then that we are not the least violent country on earth? Think for 10 seconds. This should go auto-matically without saying. We are the third most violent country on planet earth in relation to our population. Where is the Church as an institution? Is it invisible? What has it been doing? It has failed the people.

There are many who are doing too much, but there are others who are lukewarm in the Church or plain cold just like the criminals. They have a different agenda from what Christ requires. They are preoccupied with gossip and slander of their fellow members hence igniting God's wrath on my people. The population of the Church continues to recede and dwindle as a consequence of their counter-productive input, for the acquisition of more souls.

Some, due to their lifestyles, cannot dare try convincing anyone to enter the Church.
    I am, etc.,

PARIS TAYLOR

Greater Portmore

St. Catherine

http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/.../letters1.html
    bigger badder and browner !

Re: letter: what is really wrong with Jamaica

I wonder if there is any connection between the high incidence of violence in Jamaica and the fact that there are so many churches.

Is it possible that the churches are actually perpetuating the violence somehow? Could it be that Jamaicans love for fire and brimstone preaching is contributing to the criminality in our tallawah likkle isle?
    Look at the means which a man employs; consider his motives; observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself. - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by BakYaSoh:
      [qb] I wonder if there is any connection between the high incidence of violence in Jamaica and the fact that there are so many churches.

Is it possible that the churches are actually perpetuating the violence somehow? Could it be that Jamaicans love for fire and brimstone preaching is contributing to the criminality in our tallawah likkle isle? [/qb]
      No [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ...I dont think the criminals are lining up to go to church...Do you?
      You cannot change the people around you. But you can change the people you are around.

Comment

Not at all...the psyche transcends having to enter some of the many church doors...brimstone and fire has been preached from "Killa" was an innocent likkle boy exposed to the venom that was transmitted out of the pulpits by pious men riled by the sight of an onlooking congregation...heaping sin and hate whilst forgetting forgiveness and graciousness as if incapable..
        Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

I have been saying what you are now all say since I logged onto these boards from the beginning of my memberships.

JAMAICANS! STOP BURYING YOUR HEADS IN THE SAND!
          Jamaica is fast becoming the pariah of the carribean!
          The violence in the country is bringing down all Jamaicans and making us look bad infront of the whole world. We are getting a bad reputation everywhere.
          In England
          It is simply not good enough to say it never affects the tourists.
          All jamaicans rich and poor need to hold the governments to account for what is going on in Jamaica. The government of Jamaica do nothing about the situation at all.
          The poor really suffer and thats when they pick up the guns.
          Jamaica is beautiful with food and music and a wicked sense of humour and I am so proud of our country in so many things.
          The continuation of violence in the country has to stop, you do not get this sort of nonsense in St Lucia or Barbados!
          Jamaica used to be the place that English people mentioned if they were talking about the carribean now they by pass us for Barbados.
          Unno better mine sharp! Jamaica is going down in world opinion
          Jus'cool

Comment

Jamaica used to be the place that English people mentioned if they were talking about the carribean now they by pass us for Barbados
            That is why the Barbadians have to use different beaches from the foreigners??

The English is a part of the problem,there colonial system is still in place,and without loosing it. Jamaica will be going down the shute,as they have planned.
            They expected us to run back to them after 20 years,well we are use ti the suffering.
            It was 300 years,the last 130 we were supposed to be free fron slavery,but we could not work in their offices,hikd a liscence ti do any form of business,or even work in department stores.
            It was good for them and bad for us all these years, now it is bad for all of us. So nothing has change in our side,and any change for us will have to be our effort. Hell the had over 300 years and did not do it,why should we expect them to do it now?
            Fool us once call us nieve, fool us 300 years,call us skeptical of any actions on their or anybody's for that matter part.
            You don't see how difficult it is to get Jamaicans to contribute to anything?
            It is not that they do not want to help,but they rarely trust people with promises
            Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

That is why the Barbadians have to use different beaches from the foreigners??

The Bajans crawl to their tourist and behave as lickspittles for them. Jamaicans do not do that, if you treat a jamaican with respect you get it back. If you waaan come renk you will get renkness back.
              Jamaicans need to stop blaming slavery, if the colonial system is still in place then get rid of it! We are an independent country and we do not need to cow tow to the British! Why are you looking to the British to solve your problems? Look to your useless government they are the ones who are sitting on their more than ample backsides while the country slides into the mire. They are the ones looking on while the capital city of the country is practically a no go area. They are the ones who ARE DOING NOTHING.
              They are the one who are taking your tax dollars while you get nothing in return. Replace the government and you are half way to solving your problems.
              Jamaicans have much to offer but they are being strangled by the violence in the country.
              Jus'cool

Comment

Although crime and violence is worse than it's ever been, I have to tell you, it's historically been worse than it's ever been.

When I was a youth, Kingston was a no go area. It was very dangerous, and we wouldn't be caught dead south of Oxford at night -- and that was in the 1960s.

When I was a kid, people were always talking about how dangerous Kingston had become, all the murders and robberies. But others would laugh at them and ask what wrong wid dem memories, aftah, Kingston was always crime ridden, even in my grand mother's day (1920s & 30s). Even my great grandmother (late 1800s) talked about how dangerous Kingston was -- she had a few cousins killed in Kingston crimes in the late 1890s -- and we heard these stories every time Kingston was mentioned in conversation. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When one reads Jamaican history, one is struck by the level of crime, not just in the cities, but in country as well. Theft, praedial larceny, rape, murder -- these have been staples of Jamaican life since the arrival of the English in the 1650s.

Today's politicians may have excerbated crime, but they certainly didn't invent it. Jamaica is a very violent, unlawful society. This has been true since the 1650s, it's just gotten worse over the centuries. Jamaica is used to being a violent society, politicians are simply a reflection of society at large. It is the past 350 years of culture that has to change if we want to make Jamaica a peaceful place again -- peaceful again as in the pre Columbian Taino society.
                Look at the means which a man employs; consider his motives; observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself. - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie24:
                  [qb] That is why the Barbadians have to use different beaches from the foreigners??

The Bajans crawl to their tourist and behave as lickspittles for them. Jamaicans do not do that, if you treat a jamaican with respect you get it back. If you waaan come renk you will get renkness back.
                  Jamaicans need to stop blaming slavery, if the colonial system is still in place then get rid of it! We are an independent country and we do not need to cow tow to the British! Why are you looking to the British to solve your problems? Look to your useless government they are the ones who are sitting on their more than ample backsides while the country slides into the mire. They are the ones looking on while the capital city of the country is practically a no go area. They are the ones who ARE DOING NOTHING.
                  They are the one who are taking your tax dollars while you get nothing in return. Replace the government and you are half way to solving your problems.
                  Jamaicans have much to offer but they are being strangled by the violence in the country. [/qb]
                  One notes that Barbados is one of the wealthiest Caribbean islands. Most Jamaicans can only dream of the Bajan standard of living. I would say that Bajans have a keen understanding of marketing and how to please their customers.

Most Jamaican businesses, like Digicell and C&WJ, could care less about their customers. The whole attitude of many workers in Jamaica is that work is a form of slavery. As long as they behave this way, Jamaica is going to remain on the bottom of the totem pole.

Bajans are doing something right. We shouldn't be calling them lickspittles out of jealousy. We should be learning from their success so that Jamaica can repeat it.

Comment

I have always seen posyers from other jurisdictions come here and post about politicians robbing tax dollars.
                    Yet they don't even know what is the average tax dollars that is paid or how much is the average wage in the country.
                    With a GDP of abour US$3,000 how much taxes can be collected from that?
                    Say the raxes is 66 2/3%. That would mean that the government is collecting 2000 dollars per citizen.
                    With a population of 2.6 million. Ir means that the total government tax from the people would be
                    5.2 billion.
                    Well if you compare that with what it cost or run many municipalties in the country these people are livimg. It is just a drop in the bucket. Yer they don't complaon to theri local politicians,but they come here where they pay no taxes and complain that politicians are wasting taxes. If that was the problemm Jamai had,we would be prosperous,very prosperous indeed.
                    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

Bajans are doing something right. We shouldn't be calling them lickspittles out of jealousy. We should be learning from their success so that Jamaica can repeat it.

Out of jealousy? I dont think so! Jamaicans have pride and dignity something distinctly lacking in the Bajans.
                      Yes, attitudes could be a bit better but grovelling come on!
                      Jus'cool

Comment

Out of jealousy? I dont think so! Jamaicans have pride and dignity something distinctly lacking in the Bajans.
                        Yes, attitudes could be a bit better but grovelling come on!
                        Jus'cool

Comment

I have not heard any Jamaicans callong Batbafians any names,and if BachYaSI dies,I cant stop him
                          Lne thing I know is thatI dpm't envy Barbados's Questionable econmic progress. because the average black batbadian does not live better than the average black Jamaican. It does not matter if the country is rich,if you din't even own the land your house sits on although your family has lived there for 6 generations.
                          Wealth like Batbados,Cayman,Bermuda etc is not real wealth. Their wealth will disappear in a few decades with changes that are in store for the financial industry.
                          Mark my word.

Comment

If any change from cplpnialism is introduced, the US administration will brand it communism,because it has an aversion to black people living like civiolized people.
                            ..and then all the usual butkisses will join the band waggon even the supposedly educated blacks.
                            Then the CIA will more openly do what they do best.

Only the won't do it to the real terrorists,only the fictitious ones they create.

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie24:
                              [qb] Bajans are doing something right. We shouldn't be calling them lickspittles out of jealousy. We should be learning from their success so that Jamaica can repeat it.

Yes, attitudes could be a bit better but grovelling come on! [/qb]
                              You seem to have a penchant for misinformation!!
                              When and where did any poster call Barbadians any names other than Barbadians?
                              Let me tell you somthing poster if you are going to post here be careful about making up things and blaming it on other posters.
                              It will come back and bite you. Maky who run from these nuards ran because they thought they can create mischief by falsly accusing other posters of unsupported statements. We are not all fools here .If youn have somthing to say say it,but and if you cant counter the truth,don't create your own truth,ans you gave done in some of your posts.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X