Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Portia Crusade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia Crusade

Portia plans unannounced visits islandwide

BY GARFIELD MYERS Editor-at-Large South/Central Bureau
    Tuesday, March 14, 2006

ALLIGATOR POND, Manchester - Prime Minister-designate Portia Simpson Miller will not be desk-bound after taking over the reins of government from P J Patterson at month-end.

Instead, she says, she will be "engaging the people" in unannounced visits at their homes, workplaces and on "street corners" as part of her drive to "take back communities", unite Jamaica and build an environment that will engender peace and prosperity.

Arguing that community development was a key component of the fight against crime and violence, Simpson Miller told more than 3,000 People's National Party (PNP) delegates, party workers and supporters at the Seariv resort, just west of the fishing village of Alligator Pond on Sunday evening, that meeting the people "all over Jamaica" will be part of her regular routine.

"I want to say to you tonight, look for me in your communities. we are going to take back your communities, one by one, two by two, three by three until we are able to take back the 750 identified communities across Jamaica." she told the cheering crowd which had gathered to celebrate her victory in an internal party election for the presidency of the ruling PNP on February 25.

"If I come into any community and did not inform you before, do not be upset with me (because) I want to move into communities (and) I don't want anybody to be prepared for my visits.

"I want to come to be with the people in their natural setting, shoulder to shoulder with them in their homes, on the streets, in the shops, in the markets, bars, factories everywhere across the country. I am not going to call to say I am coming. I don't want you to pretty up anythin," Simpson Miller said to loud cheers from the large crowd.

PNP parliamentarians and local government representatives as well as caretakers from Manchester, St Elizabeth and Westmoreland were among those at the meeting.

Simpson Miller declared, to a prolonged roar of approval, that she would also "be walking into government offices and agencies, and I am not going to be informing the officials that I am coming."

Noting that the break down of communities and family life had triggered abuse and violence against children, including murder, the prime minister-designate suggested that her government would be taking strong action against such wrongdoers.

"It is said that women are tender. So we are," she said. "But women are also very tough in taking decisions in the interest of their family, and I say to you from now, in the interest of this country I am going to take decisions sometimes that some of you might not even like ."

Returning to an oft-repeated position that she was no longer leading Team Portia (the designation of her campaign team in the internal election) but was now only interested in leading Team Jamaica, Simpson Miller urged party workers and supporters to embrace all Jamaicans, including supporters of the Opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).
    "People are going to come offering support; don't turn them away, embrace the people who are coming," she said.

She urged Jamaicans to reject those who encouraged political divisiveness. "I want to call on Jamaican people not to allow any politician to spread divisiveness in this country. Once it starts in the politics, you must rise up and reject it," she declared.

"You do not build a country on divisiveness and partisan politics," she said. "We have to move beyond partisan politics. PNP, JLP and any P at all must work together for the betterment of this country."

Portia plans unannounced visits islandwide
    <span style="font-weight: bold">0ok</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">&quot;What good fortune for those in power that people do not think&quot;</span>
    - <span style="font-weight: bold">Adolf Hitler</span>, as quoted by Joachim Fest.

Re: Portia Crusade

I emailed a friend of mine who's a professional with her own business in Jamaica, to ask her about Portia's win of the party leadership. I have to say I was somewhat surprised that my friend had not wanted Portia to win - she had hoped Omar Davies would, while her husband supported Peter Phillips (my friend is glad Peter did not win).

In any event, she says the public is behind "Sister P", and even some in the PNP are saying Portia could not get to where she was in the party if she were stupid.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Comment

You remember during the campiagn her supporter kept saying...dem might a dunce but dem know how fi campaign, guess dem a get last laugh now. She saying the right things thats for sure..one Jamaica.

Comment

The whole PNP Leadership is not that bright. I hope she don't think she can kiss, hug and pray her way through Jamaica's problem.
        Let me make a prediction. I guarantee you if she does not make some real changes she will be taken care of by persons in her own party.

<span style="font-style: italic">&quot;What good fortune for those in power that people do not think&quot;</span>
        - <span style="font-weight: bold">Adolf Hitler</span>, as quoted by Joachim Fest.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I hope she don't think she can kiss, hug and pray her way through Jamaica's problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that's what the Jamaican populace needs, after years of tough love and/or neglect, benign or otherwise. If she carries out the program mentioned in the articles above, she will already be making significant change. one of the best indications of a good leader is one who motivates and inspires others to do their best, and also, one who knows the right strategy to apply at the right time in pursuit of a longer strategic goal.

in terms of her party "taking care" of her if she doesn't make change - well as Wahalla has already hinted, there are plans afoot for changing her anyway, whether or not she makes changes. Portia is not really being given a chance to prove herself, and she not even prime minister yet. party people suffering from sour grapes, it seems, want to put things back to the traditional way as soon as possible - so really, i don't see that they are looking for any change, or as i said, looking for anything good from Portia: that's probably the last thing they want.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You remember during the campiagn her supporter kept saying...dem might a dunce but dem know how fi campaign, guess dem a get last laugh now. She saying the right things thats for sure..one Jamaica.

[/ QUOTE ]
            i didn't really follow the campaign, K20 - i'm just an armchair commentator weighing in now that she has won. but if that was what her campaigners were saying, it sounds like there are some class issues that are at play, in addition to gender issues.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              I hope she don't think she can kiss, hug and pray her way through Jamaica's problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that's what the Jamaican populace needs, after years of tough love and/or neglect, benign or otherwise. If she carries out the program mentioned in the articles above,

[/ QUOTE ]

What programs?
              She has been part of the problem. Let's see some real changes.

Simpson Miller a part of the problem, says Shaw

GARFIELD MYERS, Editor-at-Large South/Central Bureau
              Wednesday, March 15, 2006

MANDEVILLE, Manchester - She may be charming and well liked but opposition spokesman on finance Audley Shaw says prime minister designate Portia Simpson Miller must share responsibility for what he calls the "dismal and failed" performance of the ruling People's National Party.

While insisting that the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) would not be "attacking" Simpson Miller, Shaw made it clear to a meeting of the JLP's youth arm, G2K, on the campus of the Northern Caribbean University (NCU) last Thursday that the JLP would require her to answer for the inadequacies of the P J Patterson-led government which has held power since 1989.

".The Honourable Portia Simpson Miller has been a member of this government for the past 17 years under the Westminster model (and) the principle of collective responsibility whereby if you are in a Cabinet and you feel that you cannot abide by how the country is being run or the policies of the government, then the honourable thing to do is to resign. but Mrs Simpson Miller did not resign. She has been a part of it, she has been a part of what has been happening," Shaw said.

He claimed that the ruling party was attempting to suggest that Simpson Miller would bring "magic" to the leadership of the country. But, said he, it amounted to "a new hoax" to be played on the Jamaican people.

In fact, he said laughingly, while many people including himself liked Simpson Miller there would be very little different about the new government since it would be the "same old rickety bus" with Finance Minister Omar Davies as "conductor".

The hope of deceiving the voting population would be the main reason for what he predicted would be an early national parliamentary election. This, "because they know that if they drag the election through until next year" the JLP would expose the government, even under its new leadership as "clueless and totally impotent" in dealing with the nation's problems, Shaw said.

The 60 year-old Simpson Miller who won the February 25, internal PNP poll for presidency of the party will assume the job of prime minister on March 30, replacing Patterson who is resigning after leading party and government since taking over from the late Michael Manley in 1992.

There has been widespread speculation that Simpson Miller will call an early election in an attempt to take full advantage of her perceived popularity and also to quickly establish her "own mandate". Under the constitution, the next national parliamentary election is not compulsory until next year when the five-year term ends but can be called at any time.

In pinpointing the "failings" of the Patterson administration Shaw, the member of parliament for North East Manchester and chairman of parliament's Public Accounts Committee, was severely critical of Davies. Under the finance minister's stewardship, he claimed, the "indigenous financial sector had collapsed" and the banking and insurance sector was now mostly foreign-owned with much of the country's wealth being "repatriated".

Additionally, said Shaw, the government's policy of maintaining high interest rates had devastated the economy and "destroyed" the manufacturing sector, leading to the closure of 40 factories and loss of jobs for 27,000 people "in the Spanish Town area alone". The policy had nurtured national indebtedness to the point where 70 per cent of the country's earnings was now being used to pay debt, he argued.

By a process of "connectivity" the government's economic policies had fuelled the country's many social problems including violent crime and unemployment which Shaw argued was in excess of 30 per cent when all those of working age were considered.

In the build up to the elections, Shaw told the young party faithful, the JLP would be doing its utmost to explain to the Jamaican people that the party was "a very viable alternative" with a proud record of economic management in the 1960s and 1980s.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that's what the Jamaican populace needs, after years of tough love and/or neglect, benign or otherwise. If she carries out the program mentioned in the articles above,

[/ QUOTE ]

What programs?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said program i meant her campaign to go out and about to meet people, as outlined in the article you posted.

Audley Shaw's comments about Portia I find condescending towards her, and perfectly in keeping with what a politician would say. In other words, he's not saying anything new or unexpected. Of course he's going to try to paint her as part of the problem. If I were partisan, I'd say Audley was part of the problem too, because his party's inability to solve their own internal leadership problems led to the lack of viable alternative to the PNP all these years. so, feh.

I think both the ole boys in the PNP and the JLP are running scared at the prospect of a populist prime minister, which is Portia's biggest challenge as well as her biggest potential. I'm really starting to support your call, TG, for her to just get rid of all the current Cabinet holders and start afresh, because I don't think she can trust any of the current portfolio holders to a. really put aside their own ambitions/friendships to support her; or b. to really be up for any change or be open to any new ideas.

Comment

If she get rid of all the portfolio holders,she will be taken care of by the civil servants. They can make or break any administration.
                  She ahas to be deplomatic. sometimes you have to keeo yiur enemy where you can influence most of his actions.

The usual devied and conquor rule working as usual.

Sometimes you have to devide them,keep some loose some,and their will be a feeling that that those you keep turn against those you let go.
                  Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

yes, true ting Dr. D. It's a fine balance, picking who to keep so you have them under manners, and who to let go so you can bring in fresh blood and ideas. This balancing act is the test of a true leader, not only in the selection, but also in the managing of the relationships over time.

i'm remembering that one of the supposed missteps of the Bush administration in Iraq was to get rid of the police or security force that worked under Saddam, so that a new American chosen security force could be installed. I think they are still reaping the disaster from that decision.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What programs?

GARFIELD MYERS, Editor-at-Large South/Central Bureau
                      Wednesday, March 15, 2006

MANDEVILLE, Manchester - She may be charming and well liked but opposition spokesman on finance Audley Shaw says prime minister designate Portia Simpson Miller must share responsibility for what he calls the "dismal and failed" performance of the ruling People's National Party.

While insisting that the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) would not be "attacking" Simpson Miller, Shaw made it clear to a meeting of the JLP's youth arm, G2K, on the campus of the Northern Caribbean University (NCU) last Thursday that the JLP would require her to answer for the inadequacies of the P J Patterson-led government which has held power since 1989.

".The Honourable Portia Simpson Miller has been a member of this government for the past 17 years under the Westminster model (and) the principle of collective responsibility whereby if you are in a Cabinet and you feel that you cannot abide by how the country is being run or the policies of the government, then the honourable thing to do is to resign. but Mrs Simpson Miller did not resign. She has been a part of it, she has been a part of what has been happening," Shaw said.

He claimed that the ruling party was attempting to suggest that Simpson Miller would bring "magic" to the leadership of the country. But, said he, it amounted to "a new hoax" to be played on the Jamaican people.

In fact, he said laughingly, while many people including himself liked Simpson Miller there would be very little different about the new government since it would be the "same old rickety bus" with Finance Minister Omar Davies as "conductor".

The hope of deceiving the voting population would be the main reason for what he predicted would be an early national parliamentary election. This, "because they know that if they drag the election through until next year" the JLP would expose the government, even under its new leadership as "clueless and totally impotent" in dealing with the nation's problems, Shaw said.

The 60 year-old Simpson Miller who won the February 25, internal PNP poll for presidency of the party will assume the job of prime minister on March 30, replacing Patterson who is resigning after leading party and government since taking over from the late Michael Manley in 1992.

There has been widespread speculation that Simpson Miller will call an early election in an attempt to take full advantage of her perceived popularity and also to quickly establish her "own mandate". Under the constitution, the next national parliamentary election is not compulsory until next year when the five-year term ends but can be called at any time.

In pinpointing the "failings" of the Patterson administration Shaw, the member of parliament for North East Manchester and chairman of parliament's Public Accounts Committee, was severely critical of Davies. Under the finance minister's stewardship, he claimed, the "indigenous financial sector had collapsed" and the banking and insurance sector was now mostly foreign-owned with much of the country's wealth being "repatriated".

Additionally, said Shaw, the government's policy of maintaining high interest rates had devastated the economy and "destroyed" the manufacturing sector, leading to the closure of 40 factories and loss of jobs for 27,000 people "in the Spanish Town area alone". The policy had nurtured national indebtedness to the point where 70 per cent of the country's earnings was now being used to pay debt, he argued.

By a process of "connectivity" the government's economic policies had fuelled the country's many social problems including violent crime and unemployment which Shaw argued was in excess of 30 per cent when all those of working age were considered.

In the build up to the elections, Shaw told the young party faithful, the JLP would be doing its utmost to explain to the Jamaican people that the party was "a very viable alternative" with a proud record of economic management in the 1960s and 1980s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Shaw speaks the truth yet again [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]
                      http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/Trelli/angel.gif

Comment

what the JLP aught to do now is show up scandals and instances of her actions as a minister as well as the state of her constituency and her previous portfolios held. dont cuddle up to her as the democrats did to bush when he wanted to attack iraq. the JLP should show her for what she really is.
                        http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/Trelli/angel.gif

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          what the JLP aught to do now is show up scandals and instances of her actions as a minister as well as the state of her constituency and her previous portfolios held. dont cuddle up to her as the democrats did to bush when he wanted to attack iraq. the JLP should show her for what she really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Labour-Rusts have to come real hard and take it to the streets. Don't act like the Demo-Cripples against the Wild Bush.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hope dem pay regard to di mote in their own eyes if and when they undertake that task. or do i mean, their own glass house?

i think the right thing to do is to give her a chance to govern as prime minister then judge her on that task. regardless of what she has done in the past, it would appear that the people of Jamaica are willing to give her a chance to lead. i'm surprised, and yet, not surprised, that the ole boys pay little attention to what the feelings of the masses are in this situation.

Comment

MG,

Politics is also about history, populist leaders come with high expectations from the masses who expect largesse. The real problem is that the motivation only last as long as the promises keep coming.

The pragmatic approach that Jamaica needs is not the stuff that populist leaders usually display.

Someone is going to research the garrison constituency Portia ran and I predict it will play out in the american press as soon as she assumes leadership.

Audley is right, history follows you.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X