Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

First"cheap" airline in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First"cheap" airline in Africa

well the seacond... The first was 999....A few weeks back some posted a thread on growth in Africa.. I mentioned a company that i had invested in... and made a few comments.. as the company was supposed to have started its flights the day befrore... Here is an article confirming the inaugural flight...I invested a few schkels in it though it is a high risk..... I also beleived I mentioned the issue of non corrpution networking...

FastJet’s first international flight

BY PROF. DR. WOLFGANG H. THOME, ETN AFRICA CORRESPONDENT | OCT 19, 2013Fast Jet flight FN0201, the inaugural flight of FastJet’s first international route, arrived yesterday morning at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport from Dar es Salaam’s Julius Nyerere International Airport at 1145 hours.
    Fastjet Plc is a UK based low-cost airline with ambitions to provide a pan-African service; established in part by Stelios Haji-Ioannou, known for founding the low-cost short haul airline easyJet, Fastjet aims to deliver the same service as its European counterpart to the African continent. The airline was initially created with the acquisition of Fly540, an airline operating in East Africa, and flights in Fastjet's own name commenced in November 2012
    This flight, delayed for some weeks as a result of competitor pressure brought to bear on the South African civil aviation department, ushered in a new era for passengers who have in the past had to pay very high fares on flights between DAR and JNB, prompting many to fly via Nairobi or Kigali to take advantage of better fares.
    Flights between the two cities will initially be operated three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, increasing in frequency as soon as occupancies and demand justify more flights.
    The flights will depart from Dar es Salaam’s Julius Nyerere International Airport at 0915 hours (a.m.), and land at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport at 1145 hours after a flight time of just 3 ½ hours. The return flight from Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam departs back to DAR at 1245 hours local time, landing back home at 1710 hours.
    Tickets on these flights between Johannesburg and Dar es Salaam are priced from R1,600 one way, inclusive of all airport and government taxes, which were given as approximately R555, which is a departure from the way FastJet advertises their fares from Dar es Salaam. There, and in the face of continued criticism over this practice, they have been shy since their inception to name directly an inclusive cost of the ticket and leave it to the passengers to piece meal together the ultimate cost of a ticket. One source suggested the different handling of how they advertise in South Africa is a result of consumer protection, something which hopefully reaches East Africa soon to compel airlines to engage in a more honest way of advertising the cost of their tickets.
    FastJet officials however were not shy to call current fare levels a Rip Off, something everyone in the business agrees with.
    In addition to the ticket cost however is FastJet charging for checked luggage at a cost of 110 Rand per bag, one way. One piece of hand luggage is permitted for each passenger.
    It was recently reported here that South African passport holders do not need a visa to visit Tanzania if they enter the country for 90 days or less, reciprocated now by South Africa for Tanzanians, hopefully spurring a boom of travel between the two countries in coming months, now that the fares have come down from the previously charged over 6,000 Rand, return, which compares to 3.200 Rand on FastJet, PLUS the cost of checked baggage and on board consumption. Watch this space for breaking and regular news from Eastern Africa’s aviation market.
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

African business...the connection .Now imagine if they have to go threough this again and again as they try to expand into otgher african countries....The bottom line each time thsi is delayed the price of tickets goes up, development associated with internal african travel is stymied... I think this company has a 90% chance of failure... but the potential is there...Africans need to travel to have sex and work.....

Fastjet touches down at OR at last

BY TINA WEAVIND, OCTOBER 20 2013, 15:41

Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Kindle
    Pinterest
    Comments
    Email

Clip this article

Fastjet. Picture: SUNDAY TIMES

AFTER more than a year of false starts and strategic rejigs, the first Fastjet plane finally arrived at OR Tambo International from Julius Nyerere Airport in Tanzania on Friday morning.
    The inaugural flight was three weeks late, with the first arrival from Dar es Salaam expected on September 27. Last-minute red tape from the local Department of Transport grounded the plane at the 11th hour, leaving management once again red-faced and frustrated.
    Local CEO Kyle Haywood said at the time it had been told “everything was in order”.
    Previous efforts by Fastjet to get a local operation in the air have also been hamstrung by red tape, and it was ultimately grounded.
    To comply with local aviation laws, the local wing of a foreign-based airline needs to be 75% owned by South Africans.
    While Fastjet and more recently Flysafair, a subsidiary of Irish-based ASLaviation, managed to cobble together murky local ownership structures, neither airline has been granted permission to set up domestic operations.
    To comply with the law, Fastjet hooked up with a controversial local investment consortium called Blockbuster Trading 23. The group involved President Jacob Zuma’s son, Edward, famous for reneging on his debts, and Paul de Robillard, the sole beneficiary of a fortune made from the sale of his family business to Lonrho, a British conglomerate focused on Africa.
    This connection raised the possibility of a conflict of interest since Lonrho owned 47% of Fastjet. The final member of the group was Yusuf Kajee, who was named as a partner of De Robillard in an alleged tobacco-smuggling operation.
    Many industry insiders said the local ownership was a blatant “front”.
    Erik Venter, CEO of Comair — which operates the regional wing of British Airways and low-cost carrier kulula — threatened to take legal action if it was accepted.
    Fastjet decided after three false starts to focus entirely on using its Tanzania base to develop local and regional routes.
    Flysafair was last week stopped from selling tickets after Mr Venter and Rodney James, CEO of yet-to-be-licensed Skywise, were granted an urgent interdict. In handing down his ruling, Judge Neil Tuchten said that the ownership structure appeared to be “illegal”.
    Fastjet, which is based on the successful Europe-wide Easyjet brand, has promised fares as low as R3,200 for a round trip from Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam. If it proves sustainable, this will suck market share from SAA, currently the only airline to offer the route.
    SAA prices are in the region of R4,600. Mr Haywood said this week: “Quite simply, passengers are being ripped off.”
    Fastjet’s strategy was to take advantage of Africa’s rapid growth and lack of infrastructure to become Africa’s first low-cost carrier. South Africa was a critical part of the plan because it would provide access to the biggest market of intra-Africa travellers.
    The airline planned to first establish a local base ferrying passengers between Johannesburg and Cape Town, competing with Comair-owned kulula and SAA subsidiary Mango. Ultimately, regional flights were to have been added from South Africa to Fastjet’s bases in Angola, Kenya, Ghana and Tanzania. But after a year of false starts, Fastjet management decided to focus on regional and international flights out of its established base in Tanzania.
    Fastjet was developed out of the unprofitable Fly540 aviation wing of Lonrho, which was this year bought by a pair of Swiss billionaires through a shell company called FS Africa. No mention has yet been made of their intentions regarding the airline in the future.
    Since being restructured and renamed, Fastjet has struggled financially and battled to pay debts. The company was earlier this year threatened with having planes repossessed.
    Don Smith, the owner of Fly540 Kenya which Fastjet had bought, later created a lot of media noise claiming he had not been paid and that Fastjet management had reneged on bank debts. The issue was settled quietly, with Smith being restrained from talking to the media.
    In June, auditing firm KPMG infuriated Fastjet management by reporting that there was “significant doubt” the airline could continue trading as a going concern after the group posted a $56m net loss in the 18 months to December.
    The response was that the debts were historical and had been interpreted out of context.
    Days after the announcement though, chairman David Lenigas jumped ship, leaving CEO Ed Winter in command as the airline’s share price dropped to under 90p, more than 75% below where it had been a year before.
    While passenger numbers have been growing and the new South Africa routes are likely to pump up profits, the airline has been raising cash for some time. Just this week, the company used its equity-financing facility to draw down £1.6m.
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...

Comment

African bizness article

SHARESMAG
      Why London leads to Africa

Equities, debt and ETFs all provide access to powerful story
      UK investor interest in Africa has been strong and growing for a number of years, but it has typically been tempered by certain assumptions about how private investors can actually gain exposure to the continent, and what that entails.

Greater access

Perhaps most common is a view that for all the investment opportunities Africa has to offer, most are difficult or even impossible for UK private investors to access. Investors can be wary of the logistics and costs of doing business on a local exchange, through a local broker.

It is certainly true that the astonishing speed of growth in most of the continent’s emerging economies is yet to be matched by the development of local, modern financial markets infrastructure.

But there are a number of ways UK investors can gain exposure to Africa though existing UK infrastructure.

There are already 98 sub-Saharan African companies with quotations on the London Stock Exchange for example.

From Aim to the Main Market, 21 African countries are now represented by firms of varying sizes. This means it is possible to directly invest in nearly 100 African businesses through the same mechanism, and in the same regulatory environment, that is used to invest in many well-known British stocks.

Beyond individual equities, there are also five Africa-focussed exchange traded funds (ETFs) listed on the London Stock Exchange. They trade on the UK market, but offer exposure to a range of stocks listed on African exchanges, through a single, straightforward transaction.
      More than mining

Another common assumption about Africa is the range of investable instruments is dominated by the mining and exploration sectors. The idea that an investment in Africa is merely a mining play is in fact now extremely outdated.

Of the African companies quoted on London Stock Exchange, the offering is remarkably diverse. There is representation from sectors including airlines, banks, broadcasters, technology firms, food producers and real estate developers.

As well as equities, London is also a hub for the listing and trading of African-issued debt. Nigeria, Namibia, Ghana, Gabon and the Seychelles all list government debt on London Stock Exchange, as do a host of African infrastructure funds and corporates.

This gives UK investors a unique opportunity to invest indirectly in state and infrastructure projects, within the framework of the UK regulatory regime.

Progress and potential

Political and economic stability is another obvious factor that informs investment decisions on Africa, as there is a perception certain regions are too deprived to be good places for businesses to emerge and thrive.

By dismissing the continent as undeveloped and unpredictable, many people overlook the remarkable progress made in the past two decades. At the end of the Cold War there were just three functioning democracies in Africa, while today there are 21.

Seven of the world’s ten fastest growing economies are also in Africa, and the continent is on track to meet the UN’s Millennium Development Goals on poverty, health and education by 2015.

Across much of sub-Saharan Africa, improved stability is already leading to increased foreign investment, from Europe, the US, China and the Middle East. This in turn is leading to improved infrastructure, and a larger private sector.

Perfect partners

It is clear that the links between the UK and Africa are extremely strong. In the City of London, African states and businesses have a gateway to international pools of equity and debt financing.

The strength of the UK’s financial community presents a mechanism for Africa to power
      extraordinary growth. The result of this is UK investors have the opportunity to invest and share in the one of the most exciting growth stories in the world.

Ibukun Adebayo

By Ibukun Adebayo who is respons

Comment

Hopefully they widen their flight route through much of Africa.

Comment

today Lonrho dumped a bunch more of its shares on the market..... so the value of the company is falling like a stone.... Roumour is that Stelios is buying though.....

If to go from each country the airline has to go through the hoops they had to in South Africa then this is doomed... and given that SA is supposed to be the easiest country to do bizness in Africa.... hope......

I am hanging in and am thinking of lowerin my losses by buying more.....

Comment

Meet the Boss: Ed Winter, CEO, Fastjet

BY KATE DOUGLAS | 31 OCTOBER 2013 AT 14:44

Ed Winter, CEO, Fastjet
            Fastjet CEO Ed Winter
            Meet the Boss is a How we made it in Africa interview series in which we pose the same 10 questions to business leaders across the continent.
            1. What was your first job?
            I was a pilot with what was then known as the British Overseas Airways Corporation, and the first aeroplane I flew was a Boeing 707. I had always dreamed of becoming a pilot, even though my first flight as a passenger was when I was 16 years old.
            2. Who has had the biggest impact on your career and why?
            It’s difficult to be specific on this one because there are so many people who have influenced my career. Also, I look at how people behave and operate in every situation and I pick up positives and negatives, learning from their achievements and failures too.
            However, if there was one individual who made a particularly big impact on my career, it’s Barbara Cassani. We both worked for British Airways (BA) and started Go, BA’s low-cost airline, together in 1998.
            3. What parts of your job keep you awake at night?
            The toughest part of my job is certainly not how to run an airline, or fly aeroplanes efficiently. These are things that we can control in our own environment. The parts of my job that keep me awake at night are the things beyond our influence, such as the webs of protectionism and corruption that are rife in the aviation industry on the African continent.
            We will only conduct our business in a professional, ethical way, and it’s always a concern that somewhere, someone will try to play a dirty trick or manipulate the system to suit their own interests, instead of the interests of passengers who deserve the best possible deal.
            4. What are the top reasons why you have been successful in business?
            I persevere when I commit to something and never give up. I also place high value on aligning business objectives with what customers want. To me, it doesn’t make sense for them to be anything but aligned.
            5. What are the best things about Africa?
            I love the African continent as a whole and the incredible optimism that Africa’s people display.
            6. And the worst?
            I hate the corruption, protectionism, and the onerous bureaucracy that is sometimes evident when doing business on the continent. All three of these dreadful things inhibit people’s ability to move forward. I have no doubt that the entire continent could move forward and see much greater growth if these three things were eliminated entirely.
            7. Your future career plans?
            My current focus is to ensure that Fastjet becomes a successful, true pan-African low-cost airline that democratises airline travel for people on the African continent, and for those from abroad who are visiting.
            8. How do you relax?
            I spend as much time as I can with my wife, five children and seven grandchildren. My wife and I live on a farm, so we care for our animals there too, and we’re also restoring the old farmhouse to its former glory.
            9. What is your message to Africa’s young aspiring businesspeople and entrepreneurs?
            Don’t be afraid to be adventurous and don’t let the system stop you. Keep on trying to make things work, no matter what, to make your dream come true.
            10. How can Africa realise its full potential?
            Africa has got plenty of resources and, in my view, the key to its success is finding ways for its people to access their value. This is already starting to happen as the continent becomes more and more democratic, and it will continue to do so as wealth is increasingly spread to the middle class, encouraging the growth of a consumer society.
            However, this change needs to be faster and the only way to speed it up is to remove corruption and bureaucracy because these two ills hinder the growth of economies, no matter where in the world they are found.
            I also think that Africans should look outwards to other developing markets and learn lessons from them. Africa has the resources and the smart people who are ready to work to improve their lives. There’s no harm in learning how to make the most of these from countries elsewhere who have grown doing the same.
            Ed Winter is the CEO of Fastjet, a low-cost African airline launched in 2012 that currently flies a number of routes in Tanzania, and has recently launched flights between Tanzania’s commercial hub Dar es Salaam and Johannesburg in South Africa. The London-listed company is backed by easyJet founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou and is also involved with the Fly540 brand which operates in Kenya, Ghana and Angola. Winter manages Fastjet’s operations from the company’s head office in the UK, and has over 40 years experience in the airline industry.

Comment

Africa Oil boss on training local people for jobs in industry

BY DINFIN MULUPI | 31 OCTOBER 2013 AT 13:12

The discovery of oil in Kenya’s northern Turkana region in 2011 was receivedwith excitement across the country. For residents of Turkana, one of Kenya’s most marginalised areas with high levels of poverty and illiteracy, the new discovery signalled new found wealth.
              On Monday, London-based exploration firm Tullow Oil announced it had temporarily suspended all operations in the Turkana region following demonstrations over the weekend. Led by local leaders, about 2,000 Turkana residents held demonstrations demanding to be employed at the company’s sites in Ngamia-1 and Twiga South-1, its largest operations in the area.
              Africa Oil Corp, a Canadian oil and gas company, holds a 50% interest in the wells along with operator Tullow Oil. Other than Kenya, Africa Oil has assets in Ethiopia and Somalia through its 45% equity interest in Horn Petroleum Corporation.
              According to Keith Hill, CEO of Africa Oil, the company in partnership with Tullow has hired 800 people from the local communities and is investing in building capacity of local people. The firm’s goal is to have local people working at its site with “little or no foreigners” present but this cannot be achieved “overnight”.
              “I think that is the issue with Turkana; people want jobs overnight,” says Hill. “[The] biggest challenge is everyone wants to be involved in the project. There aren’t enough jobs to go around, there isn’t enough capacity that’s existing in the country to fulfil all of the jobs. I think that the thing we jointly have work to on together is building that capacity [and] giving as many jobs as we can to the local communities.”
              Hill noted that technical risks is the first challenge investors face when scouting for oil in Kenya, but after discovery, the difficulties “start shifting to more social and development challenges”.
              “That is where we are now, we found oil and the community is very focused on it,” he says. “My experience of working 30 years in the industry and working in Africa since 1989 is that is the number one issue: people want to see how they are going to benefit from this oil.”
              Hill says operations at the sites will resume after talks with local communities, government and other stakeholders.
              “It would take us a week or two to get back once we have come to agreement. It’s really how long does it take us to basically sit down with all of the interested parties,” says Hill. “The people in Turkana want to go back to work, we want to go back to work and the government wants to see the oil process put forward. So, our goals are all the same.”
              Training and education
              Hill says Tullow Oil has been sending people overseas for training. However, “getting them to come back” after training is a big issue.
              “When you send people overseas they don’t always come back. One of the things we are also looking at is strengthening universities here. There is very strong education system here… what we need to do is strengthen those to be more specifically tailored to the oil industry; so, petroleum engineers, geologists, geophysicists, people that are not normally trained at the universities.”
              Tullow and Africa Oil are also investing in vocational training for welders, pipe fitters, electricians and other skilled labourers drawn from local communities.
              “Eventually we want to replace all of our people with local people. Our goal is to have little or no foreigners coming here and working. Local people will be more motivated to make this a successful project because they have a vested interest in the country.”
              Hill says other than building capacity in human resources, there is also need to build capacity among businesses in Kenya.
              “We are going to need to spend somewhere between US$4bn-$7bn developing this oil. The more money that can stay in Kenya, the better,” he says, adding that the East African nation has “a very good base” from which to start.
              “They have a high education level, they have a very good civil service, they have a good court system [and] they have a middle class to build upon. I am very optimistic that Kenya could be… the shining example of how resources can be developed responsibly, not just in Africa but in the world.”
              To achieve this, he says, Kenya ought to learn from other oil rich countries and address issues of corruption and lack of transparency.
              “Corruption is going to be one of the biggest things we need to tackle. [In] the oil industry in Nigeria that was one of the biggest issues when it started off. We really do only have one chance to get this right [in Kenya]. The good news is we have about three or four years before we start production and during that time we can get a lot of these things sorted out.”
              Hill says Africa Oil and its partner Tullow plan to drill a total of 25 wells by the end of 2014, two thirds of which will be in the Lokichar Basin in northern Kenya, while the rest will be in other parts of Kenya and Ethiopia.

Comment

Africa’s Luanda and Juba in the top five most expensive oil towns for expats

BY KATE DOUGLAS | 23 OCTOBER 2013 AT 16:42

Angola’s capital Luanda and South Sudan’s capital Juba have been ranked by hydrocarbons news provider Rigzone as the first and third most expensive oil and gas towns for expats in the world.
                The ranking, based on this year’s Mercer’s Cost of Living survey and similar data produced by expat management solutions and research firm ECA International, shows that African oil and gas towns are among the most expensive in the world for expatriates.
                “While natives to a particular country can rely on local knowledge to keep their own living costs down, expatriates – especially with a taste for comforts from back home – are finding that certain African cities are among the most expensive places in the world to rent accommodation or even to buy a pair of jeans,” reported Rigzone.
                However, of the five most expensive oil and gas towns for expats, only two were from Africa. In fifth place was Perth, Australia. According to the ECA’s list, five of the top 50 most expensive cities in the world are located in Australia.
                Rigzone places Russia’s capital Moscow in fourth place as the most expensive oil and gas town for expats. Mercer ranks the city as the second most expensive place in the world for expats, while ECA ranks it at number five.
                The third most expensive oil and gas town for expats, according to Rigzone, is Juba in South Sudan. South Sudan is Africa’s newest country, having become independent from northern neighbour Sudan in July 2011, taking a large portion of Sudan’s oil reserves with it.
                “Today, companies such as China National Petroleum Corporation, India’s ONGC Videsh and Malaysia’s Petronas are running the country’s oilfields – which were pumping some 300,000 barrels of oil per day until a shutdown in January 2012 due to a row with Sudan over oil fees (South Sudan relies on Sudan for oil exports),” stated the report by Rigzone. “Production at various oilfields within the country is currently restarting.”
                Southern Sudan was at civil war with its northern counterpart until 2005 when a peace agreement was signed. The country has since seen an influx of United Nations and NGO workers, along with oil companies and workers. Rigzone states this has helped drive up prices in the capital Juba, “especially for the kind of accommodation sought by people from more developed countries.”
                The ECA rates Juba as the world’s fourth most expensive city for expatriates, noting the generally high costs of expat accommodation and exporting and transporting items typically purchased by international assignees.
                Luanda: the most expensive oil and gas town
                Luanda is ranked as the most expensive oil and gas town for expats in the world. The capital city ofAngola just beats Stavanger of Norway on Rigzone’s list for this title (Stavanger is ranked by the ECA as the world’s third most expensive location for expats in general).
                Angola is one of the top oil producers in the world today, over a decade after it was ravaged by almost 30 years of civil war. “The country’s vice minister for petroleum recently stated that it has 13bn barrels of proven oil reserves,” added Rigzone.
                Along with the hope of further discoveries, Angola has seen a considerable influx of international oil companies and workers and Luanda has experienced a rise in costs for expats, according to Rigzone. Both Mercer and the ECA rank Luanda as the world’s most expensive city for expats in general.
                “For example, Mercer found that the typical cost to rent a luxury two-bedroom unfurnished apartment in Luanda is US$6,500 per month (a similar apartment in Sydney, Australia would cost just $2,550 per month). Meanwhile, a fast food hamburger meal costs just over $20 while a pair of blue jeans retails at $204,” according to Rigzone’s research.
                However, a How we made it in Africa source who has been working in Luanda for several years stressed that some costs depend on where you shop in the area, with retailers such as Shoprite and Kero offering considerably cheaper products compared to other retailers typically known by foreigners and expats.

Comment

They had over 9% gain today... Wednesday they were doing so good but their stock picked up today.

Originally posted by Wahalla View Post
                  today Lonrho dumped a bunch more of its shares on the market..... so the value of the company is falling like a stone.... Roumour is that Stelios is buying though.....

If to go from each country the airline has to go through the hoops they had to in South Africa then this is doomed... and given that SA is supposed to be the easiest country to do bizness in Africa.... hope......

I am hanging in and am thinking of lowerin my losses by buying more.....

Comment

I am a fan of Komla Dumor... A big man with alot of humanity...Great laugh...

the first image of the passports of the counter while you wait... and wait and wait..till u hand over cash.....I made a comment about doing buisness in Africa and I know no one beleives me....time is money and each of these petty delays cost...either profit or to the consumer....

Letter from Africa: Red tape and visas

COMMENTS (17)

Continue reading the main storyLetter from Africa

In our series of letters from African journalists, BBC Africa's Komla Dumor takes issue with the frustrations of the continent's bureaucracy.
                    A few years ago I had an interesting conversation with an Ethiopian businessman as I was sitting at a bar in a hotel in Addis Ababa.
                    He had come over and introduced himself, telling me that he was an exporter of meat products and business was going well.
                    I asked him where his major markets were; he responded: "Mainly the UAE and Gulf region."
                    What about other African countries I enquired.

He gave me a quizzical look as if I was asking him a silly question.
                    He then explained why it was cheaper to send his products to the Gulf than across the border to another African country.
                    He gave me a long list of complaints from red tape bureaucracy to transportation costs and other "hidden fees".
                    Ironically he claimed that someone in the Gulf was re-exporting his meat with a different label to the African countries that he found too expensive to export to.
                    His sentiments are backed by numbers: Whereas roughly 60% of Europe's trade is with other European countries, only 12% of African trade is with other African countries.
                    I can relate to some of the issues my businessman friend raised.
                    Frank talkI have had the pleasure of travelling to several nations across Africa - and each country has given me extraordinary experiences and there are many places that now really feel like home when I touch down: Johannesburg, Maputo, Nairobi or Lagos.
                    However the process of getting from point A to point B can still be a struggle.
                    Earlier this year I travelled to Morocco for a big African conference.
                    Everyone from politicians and economists to non-government activists and journalists gathered in Marrakesh for debates and discussions about Africa's future.
                    Ethiopia's booming economy will attract more foreign visitors
                    The week-long event was well attended and wonderfully engaging, with a lot of frank talk.
                    While the general tone of these discussions was quite optimistic there were some legitimate gripes.
                    One issue which was not the headline topic of any panel discussion but was talked about nevertheless was travelling in Africa.
                    Many of the participants narrated tales about how flying to parts of Africa meant a mandatory connecting flight through Europe.
                    Though the skies above the continent are opening up, the cost and complexity of air travel leaves a lot of room for improvement.
                    Then there is the additional layer of complexity when it comes to visa requirements.
                    Again I have had a wide range of experiences.
                    I am a Ghanaian; I hold a Ghanaian passport; I can travel freely within West Africa without needing a visa.
                    I can travel to Kenya and Tanzania without a visa; I need one for Uganda though.
                    Angola, Botswana and Mozambique also require a visa.
                    My first trip to Addis Ababa left me frustrated as I was pulled out of the line at immigration and subjected to pretty severe scrutiny by immigration officials.
                    My frustration was exacerbated as I watched "preferred passport holders" breeze through the process with welcoming smiles from immigration officials.
                    I have since returned to Addis many times and the kindness and generosity of Ethiopians has more than compensated for the immigration headaches.
                    Pioneering RwandaHowever, even for the places I like to visit for work or pleasure, the thought of applying for a visa is a turn-off.
                    I love South Africa for a whole range of reasons but every three months, I have to apply for a new visa which includes letters from my employers in London and the bureau in Johannesburg along with adequate evidence that I will return to London when I finish my assignment.
                    My British colleagues do not have that problem.
                    Change definitely seems to be on the horizon.
                    At the beginning of 2013, Rwanda took the extraordinary step of lifting pre-travel visa requirements for African travellers.
                    For me that is an extraordinary step: Arrive in Kigali; get a stamp in your passport; move on with your business.
                    The African Union celebrated 50 years of unity earlier this year and many agree that the movement of goods and people across borders is necessary to make the concept of unity more than just a conversation.
                    Last edited by Wahalla; 11-01-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

still the share price falls...

Mbeya is according to Wikepideia the scotland of Kenya!

First fastjet flight takes off to Mbeya

By StockMarketWire | Fri, 1st November 2013 - 07:43
                      fastjet's first flight from Dar es Salaam to Mbeya in south west Tanzania departed on schedule this morning (1 November).
                      Mbeya is the fifth Tanzanian destination in the fastjet network, which already includes Dar es Salaam, Mwanza, Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar.

Comment

they need more capacity...

This is so pleasing....the idea that Africa is only poverty... Africans fly.....

fastJet increases Mbeya capacity as demand takes off

By Philip WhiterowNovember 12 2013, 7:39amThe Africa-based low -cost airline will add a new Sunday flight and three more during the weekFastjet (LON:FJET) has added more flights to its newly launched Dar es Salaam to Mbeya route in Tanzania after high demand meant some servicessold out.
                        The Africa-based low cost airline will add a new Sunday flight and three more during the week, which will take the weekly total to seven.
                        Fastjet launched the service at the start of November since when the load factor, or how full its flights are, has averaged 97.5% with some flights completely full.
                        Richard Bodin, chief commercial officer, he was thrilled with the start of the Mbeya route, which is its fifth destination in Tanzania.
                        “Although we knew demand for the route was likely to be high, initial passenger numbers have certainly exceeded expectations."
                        Bodin added Fastjet is also considering more capacity on its recently launched international service between Dar es Salaam and Johannesburg after solid demand since October’s inaugural flight.

Comment

ow much cheaper iss itt

cah more peeps wood travel to africa iff itt more economical
                          I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there.
                          Marcus Garvey

satire protected speech soo more fiyah

Comment

Blu good question... I never checked it to see if it was true!.......I took that as a is a challenge to see if it actually is cheaper than SAA!!!!!

u know they were talking about 100 us from dar al Salam to Jo burg.....but then there was they had to get into bed with Zuma son company

so I did a comparison ...

8th Jan return 22 Jan 248 US on fast jet ..

on South African airlines same dates 560 USD

for the Dar al Salaam to Mbeyi I checked the site and 121 US return....

This is about intraafrica flights....

Comment

Looks like Lonrho sold their stakes in FastJet.
                              Wonder what that means for the company?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0IZ3OW20131114

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X