Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Death rate in Jamaica Vs Death rate in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neochin
    replied
    Re: Death rate in Jamaica Vs Death rate in Iraq

Originally posted by Wahalla:
    [qb] Now finally a number.... Jamaicans last year were being murdered at a rate of 5 + per day... Iraqi are beign killed at 34 per day.....(Report off Sky News yesterday).... Jamaica has a higher murder rate than Iraq.... We have a population of 2 1/2 million... Iraq a population of 22 million.... [/qb]
    thank you. been saying this since the beginning of the year. although i don't trust american figures. they would lie about civilian casualties.

Leave a comment:

• quodlibet
    replied

Originally posted by GranCanaria:
    I am coming to marry in May next year. That now is in doubt. How sad for an island, its economy and its future, and all I did was type into google, 'murder jamaica'. The list of sites was long and made for astonishing reading. This is the BBC's report.....

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ world/americas/newsid [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    All things being equal, you ought to be ok in Jamaica, for the following reasons:

<ul type="square">[*]That level of violence is almost exclusively directed at fellow Jamaicans, and[*]The overwhelming majority of these cases occur in the KMR (Kingston-Metropolitan Region) - which is on the Southern side of the Island (the high-volume tourist region is on the Northern side)[*]The typical violence is not like the chaos of suicide bombers and random drive-bys, rather more like ongoing feuds between rival entities, or other criminal related activity (like protection rackets), hence the typical concentration in the KMR[*]As with any other area, you should assume that the country will have its share of issues like any other country, so you dont leave common sense at the airport...[/list]

Hope everything goes well for your nuptials [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Dr.Dudd
    replied

Originally posted by BlackStar:
    [qb]
    [qb] I am coming to marry in May next year. That now is in doubt. How sad for an island, its economy and its future, and all I did was type into google, 'murder jamaica'. The list of sites was long and made for astonishing reading. This is the BBC's report.....

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ world/americas/newsid [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [/qb]
    Sorry to hear about your wedding plans. You still have time to choose another location like the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean or St. Lucia in the Caribbean.

BTW, your link doesn't work. [/qb]
    I suppose you will guarantee that she won't get murdered in the places you recommending.
    I am sure if you check the rate of murder against visitior in most of thos ecountries they are higher then that of Jamaica.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[qb] I am coming to marry in May next year. That now is in doubt. How sad for an island, its economy and its future, and all I did was type into google, 'murder jamaica'. The list of sites was long and made for astonishing reading. This is the BBC's report.....

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ world/americas/newsid [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [/qb]
    Sorry to hear about your wedding plans. You still have time to choose another location like the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean or St. Lucia in the Caribbean.

BTW, your link doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• GranCanaria
    replied

I am coming to marry in May next year. That now is in doubt. How sad for an island, its economy and its future, and all I did was type into google, 'murder jamaica'. The list of sites was long and made for astonishing reading. This is the BBC's report.....

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ world/americas/newsid [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• remo
    replied

Originally posted by BIGGAHVIEW.:
    [qb]
    Originally posted by remo:
    [qb] I dont know if we can compare the two countries
    there is an illegal war going on in iraq.

So how do we rationalize what a gwaan down a yard? [/qb]
    I did'nt know there was such a thing as legal war. [/qb]
    A war sanctioned by the U.N.....Perhaps

Leave a comment:

• neutral
    replied

Originally posted by RichD:
    [qb]sen yuh go shop " means turn you into a little boy..a goffer [/qb]
    Lol,...There`s me thinking that the term meant there was a man or someone at the shop who would turn you into a murderer if you werent one

I think I`ve been away too long.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied

Originally posted by neutral:
    [qb]
    [qb]
    [qb] This makes for frightening reading,$700 million alone treating violent related injuries,money that could have been diverted to more needy causes like education if Jamaican males werent so violent towards each other.

That is a very violent society,I cant imagine the despair, especially in the more volatile inner city ghettos of Kingston,must be extremely difficult trying to raise children,wondering everyday if they`re coming home. [/qb]
    One of the most telling comments i even heard was on a call in show in jamaica when a man from mountain view in expailing the situation said " round yah if yuh a nuh murderer dem sen yu go shop" so perkins asked him if he was a murderer his reply " no but my brother is so mi safe".... [/qb]
    What`s the significance of sending them to the shop Richd. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [/qb]
    "sen yuh go shop " means turn you into a little boy..a goffer

Leave a comment:

• neutral
    replied

[qb]
    [qb] This makes for frightening reading,$700 million alone treating violent related injuries,money that could have been diverted to more needy causes like education if Jamaican males werent so violent towards each other.

That is a very violent society,I cant imagine the despair, especially in the more volatile inner city ghettos of Kingston,must be extremely difficult trying to raise children,wondering everyday if they`re coming home. [/qb]
    One of the most telling comments i even heard was on a call in show in jamaica when a man from mountain view in expailing the situation said " round yah if yuh a nuh murderer dem sen yu go shop" so perkins asked him if he was a murderer his reply " no but my brother is so mi safe".... [/qb]
    What`s the significance of sending them to the shop Richd. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied

One of the most telling comments i even heard was on a call in show in jamaica when a man from mountain view in expailing the situation said " round yah if yuh a nuh murderer dem sen yu go shop" so perkins asked him if he was a murderer his reply " no but my brother is so mi safe"....

Leave a comment:

• neutral
    replied

Originally posted by Milo Man*:
    [qb] On a related note... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    OH LAWD!!!

Murder is leading cause of death in males

published: Friday &#0124; July 22, 2005

Dr. Elizabeth Ward at the Gleaner Editors' Forum, at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, New Kingston, on June 29.

WHAT WE have seen over the last 30 years is a tremendous increase in the number of cases of violence ... It has had tremendous impact on the health services and homicide is now the fifth leading cause of death in Jamaica and it is the leading cause of death in males in Jamaica regardless of age.

We know that injuries overall cost a lot of money, over $1.2 billion, and what we do, if we take just the violence-related injuries out of that and look at it, you are looking at us spending, last year, over $700 million on treating violence-related injuries in the hospital.

So, what did we see last year? Over 32,000 visits to all our hospitals islandwide were violence-related injuries.

Approximately 19,000 of those injuries were in males. Fifty per cent of them were age 10 to 29 years; 79 per cent of them were hurt in fights, 12 per cent were in sexual assaults, 37 per cent were blunt injuries, 49 per cent were sharp objects, 54 per cent were due to a fight with an acquaintance and 55 per cent occurred at home.

For the females, 60 per cent were age 10 to 29 years old, so it is even higher in the younger women. Seventy-nine per cent of them had been involved in a fight, 12 per cent were as a result of sexual assault, 60 per cent of them were either blunt or bodily force, 25 per cent of them were a sharp object, 38 per cent were an acquaintance, 30 per cent were due to their intimate partners and 57 per cent of their violence-related injuries actually occurred at home.

Source [/qb]
    This makes for frightening reading,$700 million alone treating violent related injuries,money that could have been diverted to more needy causes like education if Jamaican males werent so violent towards each other.

That is a very violent society,I cant imagine the despair, especially in the more volatile inner city ghettos of Kingston,must be extremely difficult trying to raise children,wondering everyday if they`re coming home.

Leave a comment:

• halfwaytree
    replied

On a related note... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    OH LAWD!!!

Murder is leading cause of death in males

published: Friday &#0124; July 22, 2005

Dr. Elizabeth Ward at the Gleaner Editors' Forum, at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, New Kingston, on June 29.

WHAT WE have seen over the last 30 years is a tremendous increase in the number of cases of violence ... It has had tremendous impact on the health services and homicide is now the fifth leading cause of death in Jamaica and it is the leading cause of death in males in Jamaica regardless of age.

We know that injuries overall cost a lot of money, over $1.2 billion, and what we do, if we take just the violence-related injuries out of that and look at it, you are looking at us spending, last year, over $700 million on treating violence-related injuries in the hospital.

So, what did we see last year? Over 32,000 visits to all our hospitals islandwide were violence-related injuries.

Approximately 19,000 of those injuries were in males. Fifty per cent of them were age 10 to 29 years; 79 per cent of them were hurt in fights, 12 per cent were in sexual assaults, 37 per cent were blunt injuries, 49 per cent were sharp objects, 54 per cent were due to a fight with an acquaintance and 55 per cent occurred at home.

For the females, 60 per cent were age 10 to 29 years old, so it is even higher in the younger women. Seventy-nine per cent of them had been involved in a fight, 12 per cent were as a result of sexual assault, 60 per cent of them were either blunt or bodily force, 25 per cent of them were a sharp object, 38 per cent were an acquaintance, 30 per cent were due to their intimate partners and 57 per cent of their violence-related injuries actually occurred at home.

Source

Leave a comment:

• bigbooie
    replied

Originally posted by remo:
    [qb] I dont know if we can compare the two countries
    there is an illegal war going on in iraq.

So how do we rationalize what a gwaan down a yard? [/qb]
    I did'nt know there was such a thing as legal war.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied

Originally posted by Wahalla:
    [qb]
    [qb] so yuh would feel safer in Iraq than santa? [/qb]
    Hell yes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Had you chosen another place maybe not.... Couple guys from Santa would love to kill me![/qb]
    what yuh do dem?

[qb]Note the chance of being klled in Kurdish regions are probably as low as london....[/qb]
    about like manchester or st mary?

[qb]

However even with its poltical problems the rate of violent death is lower in Iraq than in Jamaica.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [/qb]
    looks that way...but then again it depends what business you in...if you are in the US military you running about 200 times the rate of Jamaica..even more dangerous than being a policeman in jamaica

Leave a comment:

• Wahalla
    replied

[qb] so yuh would feel safer in Iraq than santa? [/qb]
    Hell yes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Had you chosen another place maybe not.... Couple guys from Santa would love to kill me!

Note the chance of being klled in Kurdish regions are probably as low as london....

However even with its poltical problems the rate of violent death is lower in Iraq than in Jamaica.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X