Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Why shoulf poor Jamaica subsidize sugar sold to rich Europe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why shoulf poor Jamaica subsidize sugar sold to rich Europe??

Golding says a JLP gov't would subsidise sugar industry if.

MARK CUMMINGS , Observer staff reporter
    Saturday, July 30, 2005

Golding. told cane farmers and sugar employees that if the industry is to survive the factories would have to become efficient
    CLARKS TOWN, Trelawny - Opposition Leader Bruce Golding says a future Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) government would be willing to subsidise the island's ailing sugar industry, but only after an optimum level of efficiency is achieved in the sector.

"If US 20 cents is the best figure that we can arrive at as an average cost of production throughout the industry, my government would be prepared to give the commitment that if the price you are getting from Europe is US 12 cents we will bridge the difference," Golding said.

He warned, however, that a JLP government would not tolerate the inefficiencies that have dogged the sector in recent years.

"If the industry is to remain inefficient, so that it cost this year (US) 25 cents per pound, next year it cost 28 cents per pound and if the price you are getting is 15 cents my government would not be prepared to provide the 13 cents," the opposition leader said.

He was addressing scores of sugar workers and cane farmers at the Cedric Titus Comprehensive High School in Clarks Town, Trelawny yesterday.

Concerns have been raised in recent months about the future of the island's sugar sector in light of the proposed 39 per cent price cut by the European Union and the poor performance of the island's sugar factories.

During the recently concluded crop, the country, which had itself a target of 185,000 tonnes of sugar produced a mere 124,000 tonnes.

The management of the Long Pond sugar factory in Clarks Town had planned to manufacture 13,000 tonnes but it only achieved 4,500 tonnes of the sweetener.

There were also reports of massive losses incurred by cane farmers who claimed that they were unable to reap their crop, due the inefficiencies at the sugar processing plants.

Golding told the cane farmers and sugar employees that if the industry is to survive the factories would have to become efficient.

He added that in an effort to be achieved the desired level of efficiency at the plants, the government must take the necessary steps to restructure the industry.

The restructuring, he said, should include a massive injection of capital at the factories and a major sugar cane replanting programme.

The opposition leader also renewed his call for the dismissal of the management and board members of the state-run Sugar Company of Jamaica, charging that their leadership has been the major contributory factor to poor performance of the sector.

"You as cane farmers and sugar worker will have no hope for any recovery so long as the present structure and management of the Sugar Company of Jamaica remains in place," Golding told the sugar workers.

He added that the Opposition would continue to lobby in Parliament in an effort to ensure that the restructuring of the industry can only proceed "if we get rid of the present sugar company board and management and put people in there that understand the industry".

Chairman of the All Island Jamaica Cane Farmers Association Allan Rickards had earlier this month called for the dismissal of the SCJ's management.

But the SCJ's board has expressed confidence in the managers.

Dudd:Why shoulf Jamaica subsidize sugar that is going to Europe as raw materials to create jobs in their industry?
    Why not use the subsify to finance industriak complex to use the raw sugar to make finished products,to be sold internationally?
    Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Re: Why shoulf poor Jamaica subsidize sugar sold to rich Europe??

Originally posted by Dr.Dudd:
    [qb]

Dudd:Why shoulf Jamaica subsidize sugar that is going to Europe as raw materials to create jobs in their industry?
    Why not use the subsify to finance industriak complex to use the raw sugar to make finished products,to be sold internationally?
    [/qb]
    Because if it was that easy Jamaica would have been doing it years ago.
    Have you ever tried selling something to someone who can dictate and control the price of the goods you are selling to them.

Or let me put it another way...the "finished product" market is already very tightly controlled by the internationals,Jamaica is not yet in a position to challenge these international interests.
    bigger badder and browner !

Comment

This is lunacy.....And is the same logic as air Jamaica....I beleive that they would do better to turn the whole crop into rum.... And begin to market it as an object of desire... There is a market out there....

One of my biggest pevees in the last year,,, The old Myers Name was sold to a Bahamian company which is marketing rum as a psuedo Jamaican product...... (Myers Rum was contemporanious to Appleton...)

But then I am a simple peasant what do I know comp[ared to the interlectual gaints...
      What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
      If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Comment

Originally posted by Wahalla:
        [qb]

But then I am a simple peasant what do I know comp[ared to the interlectual gaints... [/qb]
        Lol,...no intellectual giants around here mate,just midgets standing on their tip toes.
        bigger badder and browner !

Comment

Originally posted by neutral:

Dudd:The reason why it was never tried,was simply because;
          The government was addicted to the pronises of security of market.
          They earned to little to find the investment capital.
          They were always too strapped for cash to even try it.
          ..and it employed the vast numbers of uneducated,who had the most potential to cause national unrest.

Neutral states: Have you ever tried selling something to someone who can dictate and control the price of the goods you are selling to them.

Or let me put it another way...the "finished product" market is already very tightly controlled by the internationals,Jamaica is not yet in a position to challenge these international interests.

DuddThat is the case with Jamaica at present,but,it only works for raw materials,not finished goods,ask the Chinese and the Japanese.
          the latter start by duplicating BMC parts to produce the Totota,which is the 2nd largest auto manufacturer worldwide.
          Jist as jamaica did with music,which still is one of the most controlled finished products, and did it without any real financial support from the government,like they did for tourism.
          If the givernment of Jamaica put in a quarter of the inpots they did to tourism into a sugarcane industry,it would put the country in the league of the Asian tigers,using that as the bottom rung of the economic ladder.
          All they need to fo is to create enough high attitude resoviors,that is capable of catshing the runn-offd in the hurricane season,and use them to create gravity fed irrigarion systems that will be cheap enough for the small farmers to afford in the near future,and eventually their income will be enough to put the economy of the soundesr footing of all the Caribbean,including thuse with offshore banks and oil.

What Jamaica need is more people with they "I will" attitude,instead of the "if it never happened before it cannot" attitude.
          Not too much is wrong with Jamaica that the right attirude and opportrubity to get things moving cannot correct.
          Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

[qb] This is lunacy.....And is the same logic as air Jamaica....I beleive that they would do better to turn the whole crop into rum.... And begin to market it as an object of desire... There is a market out there....

One of my biggest pevees in the last year,,, The old Myers Name was sold to a Bahamian company which is marketing rum as a psuedo Jamaican product...... (Myers Rum was contemporanious to Appleton...)

But then I am a simple peasant what do I know comp[ared to the interlectual gaints... [/qb]
            It is called free enterprize,
            myres Rum company was owned by Britons just as the rest of the sugar industry. It just so happen that the jamaica government bought the majority of the sugar industry,but Myres and a few more was nought by others.
            That in itself does not have to be aloss,because myres is only a trade marh,and trade markes can be built and destroyed at will.
            The Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee,is anexample of owning a very valoable brand,dut still not making the potential.
            .I also have a differnet view on Air Jjamaica thab you hold. In that I see an air line to an Island country just as I see a highway fo a land lock country.
            Many land lock countries have to pay for and naintain highways through other countries,to the closest available port. They also gave to but they right to fly ofer the airspace of other countries so that they can survive. All this carry costs to the countries involved,but they don't count it as a loss.
            It is an investment,withou which,the country will ne doomed to failure.
            In Jamaica's case we have to have an airline which will loose money,but will allow other industries in the country ro make multiple the losses ioncured by the air line.
            Running a country is sometimes,like fighting a war,sometimes you have to loose a battle or two,maybe more, to win the war.

Comment

Dr Dudd,
              I always (for years now) Know your posts cuz you always mispelling words..I have to figure out all the time ...You not have spell check?
              If going to church makes you a christian does going to the garage make you a car?

Comment

Originally posted by neutral:
                [qb]
                [qb]

[/qb]
                Have you ever tried selling something to someone who can dictate and control the price of the goods you are selling to them.[/qb]
                neutral, this was done before in the 70s by the Manley govt.

When P. J. Patterson was Manley's foreign minister, he addressed the Black Lawyers of America, Annual Conference, held in Miami, Fl.

In the Q&A session, one of the questions put to him was; " Why is Jamaica selling sugar to communist China, and not the USA or Britain?"

Patterson's responded by saying; "China is the highest bidder, China is paying six-times the amount that Britain or the USA is willing to pay, furhermore, the time has come for the poor cane cutters in Jamaica to stop subsidizing the housewives of Britain and the USA." With a few other glib and undeplomatic answers.

Ronald Reagan became the president on January 20, 1981. The first Foreign Head of State that he had audiance with was Jamaica's new Prime Minister, Edward Seaga, two days later, on January 22, 1981.

On his return to Jamaica, Seaga's first deed was to cancel the lucrative China sugar contract and renewed the old low contracts with Britain and the USA.

Ronald Reagan dead and gone but his ghost is still hanging around in the canefields of Jamaica.

Comment

Wahalla wrote: "I beleive that they would do better to turn the whole crop into rum.... And begin to market it as an object of desire... There is a market out there...."

And not just me alone.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  Magnum

Comment

Baba, you sure the China sugar deal was not in same vein as the Iran oil deal, authored by none other than "Ishall Return" Patterson? A sham.
                    Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

crowspeaks, Doc Dudd mis-spells. Come now dont be so harsh. A comedy of errors if taken lightly brings a little laughter to some sober topics.
                      Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

[qb]
                        [qb] This is lunacy.....And is the same logic as air Jamaica....I beleive that they would do better to turn the whole crop into rum.... And begin to market it as an object of desire... There is a market out there....

It is called free enterprize,
                        myres Rum company was owned by Britons just as the rest of the sugar industry. It just so happen that the jamaica government bought the majority of the sugar industry,but Myres and a few more was nought by others.
                        That in itself does not have to be aloss,because myres is only a trade marh,and trade markes can be built and destroyed at will.
                        The Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee,is anexample of owning a very valoable brand,dut still not making the potential.
                        .I also have a differnet view on Air Jjamaica thab you hold. In that I see an air line to an Island country just as I see a highway fo a land lock country.
                        Many land lock countries have to pay for and naintain highways through other countries,to the closest available port. They also gave to but they right to fly ofer the airspace of other countries so that they can survive. All this carry costs to the countries involved,but they don't count it as a loss.
                        It is an investment,withou which,the country will ne doomed to failure.
                        In Jamaica's case we have to have an airline which will loose money,but will allow other industries in the country ro make multiple the losses ioncured by the air line.
                        Running a country is sometimes,like fighting a war,sometimes you have to loose a battle or two,maybe more, to win the war. [/qb]
                        Sorry well I dont see hopw the sudsidy of Air Jamaica made sence...They chose the wrong war... If the aim was to make sure there were tourist coming into Jamaica then it would only be logical if there was no other airlines flying inot Jamaica.. The reality was that there were other airlines flying in... And providing a cheaper service.... The goverment simply subsidied air Jamaica to the benifit of their private owners... A transfer of funds from the poor to the rich...

By this token the subsidy of the cane industry genrates greater social capital as a greater number of Jamaicans would benifit than the private share holders of Air Jamaica and the relative few workers...
                        What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
                        If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Comment

It's simply a case of globalization. Sugar can be bought cheaper in other countries now and Jamaica has to remain competitive or lose it's sugar buisness all together.
                          Jus'cool

Comment

It is not about globalization really,because the champions of globalization the USA protects their sugar market from countries like Jamaica.
                            Jamaica cannot export anything that includes sugar like Milo,though it is imported from places like Thailand.
                            It is all about the politics of suppression.
                            Hugar is only cheaper elsewhere,because of subsidies.

Comment

The U.S and other developed states are unfair in their trade practices with the developing countries...They set both export and import prices...no discussions are allowed
                              If your ship does not come in, Swim out to it!!!

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X